When Worlds Fall

Sordid Nation 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Crossing Paths at the Crossroads

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 68 ... 135  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 135]

1 Crossing Paths at the Crossroads on Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:41 pm

A light snow is falling when I find my way to the familiar Crossroads Inn. I've left my car at the garage a couple blocks over after the engine had begun making an unpleasant squealing noise on the drive here. It's an easy fix, I know, but I've never been much of one for getting my hands dirty - particularly in the biting cold of an early snow. It's bad enough having to stop inside the door of the inn to shake the cold, wet mess out of my jacket, my shoes stomping on the rug to kick the slush from my feet.

"Morning, Martha," I greet the woman behind the bar, the only one working the floor at this early hour - and she doesn't look happy about it. The rest of the inn is quiet, the sun having barely begun its slow rise on the horizon. Martha hardly looks my way at the greeting, my accent likely giving my identity away and telling her I'm not worth the extended effort of a smile. I rarely take company here, and only from a select few girls that I've grown to like over the years.

I'm a little surprised when I notice another person sitting at one of the tables near the back of the room, the corner cast in shadow by the low morning light. Watching her pick at her plate, seemingly lost in her own little world, I feel a little jolt of recognition as I catch a glimpse of her face as her hand brushes the curtain of hair that had fallen from her ear back up under her hood.

Removing my coat and folding it over my arm, I stride over to the table and take a seat across from her before she's even had a chance to really register my sudden presence. When she does look up at me, a startled look of surprise on her scarred face, I can only smile.

"So what's a pretty thing like you doing in a place like this?" I ask, ignoring the little squeeze of sadness at seeing her scars.

View user profile

2 Re: Crossing Paths at the Crossroads on Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:21 pm

I find myself wide eyed as I stare up at the man sitting across from me, my eyes watering as I recognize the large blue ones looking back at me. 

"Jean?!" I breathe the name, practically flying out of my seat as I round the table to throw my arms around him.

View user profile http://sordidnations.forumotion.com

3 Re: Crossing Paths at the Crossroads on Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:29 pm

"In the flesh," I say as I let out a startled laugh as I find myself crushed in her embrace, my arm winding around her to return the hug. Kissing her cheek, I scoot over in the booth and pat the seat next to me for her to sit down.

"What are you doing in the Crossroads?" I ask as I turn in the booth to get a better look at her. "I didn't think you'd ever ventured out of Old North."

View user profile

4 Re: Crossing Paths at the Crossroads on Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:31 pm

"Came with a friend," I smile, twisting to face him with a broad smile. I haven't seen Jean since just after Maja's death, and he's a pleasant reminder of happier times. "What about you? What are you doing out here?"

View user profile http://sordidnations.forumotion.com

5 Re: Crossing Paths at the Crossroads on Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:43 pm

"I was just visiting my mother," I smile as I tuck my coat over the booth and settle in more comfortably. "You remember Charlemagne, don't you? We spent the summer building onto her place and repairing a few things that were damaged in the raids last winter."

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 135]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 68 ... 135  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum