When Worlds Fall

Sordid Nation 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Secrets and Favors

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 13]

151Secrets and Favors - Page 7 Empty Re: Secrets and Favors on Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:54 pm

"We're done talking about this," Marnin says stiffly. I can't tell who he's angry at, and he gives no indication one way or the other as he pulls his bag into his lap jauntily. It's obvious his patience has run out, though, when he pulls a set of headphones from his bag and grabs my music player from where it had landed on the floor.

Thinking better of protesting, I simply shake my head fix my eyes on the road stubbornly. This is far more drama than I have the energy for, and frankly, I'm ready to rethink my decision to help and simply throw everyone out right now so I can be done with it.

"Teag," I say a little more sharply than I'd meant. Clearing my throat, I glance back at her apologetically before nodding toward her bag. "Do you have any made up? I could really use another hit right about now..."

View user profile

152Secrets and Favors - Page 7 Empty Re: Secrets and Favors on Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:31 pm

I'm entirely caught up watching the others at the end of the van when I hear my name, and I twist to peer up at Cael through the gap between his seat and the door as I nod softly and grab my bag before crawling back into the front seat. 

"Just drive, I'll get some ready." I say as I drop the bag in the spot between us, unzipping it as I straddle it and begin rifling through for my kit.

View user profile http://sordidnations.forumotion.com

153Secrets and Favors - Page 7 Empty Re: Secrets and Favors on Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:45 pm

The music coming from the headphones on Marnin's ears is loud enough to fill the silence of the van. Shaking my head, I glance at the man in the rearview mirror before I notice Jean watching Teagan with interest. I'm fairly certain her ass had been right in front of his face when she'd climbed back up front, the thick tights under her dress the only thing protecting her modesty.

Turning my attention to what Teagan is doing, it makes me antsy just seeing the brightly colored stones she pulls from her kit, Jean's attention drawn to what she's doing as well at the sight of them. I don't know if it's the concern of him seeing them, my secret being exposed for anyone to try to work out, or the promise of having it in my system any minute now, but my leg is bouncing anxiously as I glance at Jean repeatedly as his interest draws him closer.

"What are you making?" Jean finally asks as he watches her work.

"Don't touch it!" I snap protectively, swatting at his hand as he goes to touch one of Teagan's instruments.

View user profile

154Secrets and Favors - Page 7 Empty Re: Secrets and Favors on Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:58 pm

I cut Cael a look before shooing his hands away, shaking my head as I return my attention back to the work in my lap. 

"I'm making a paste to blend into a tea." I respond, frowning slightly as I hear Cael practically growl at the word. "I was going to make a simple wax to coat a cigarette, but someone's rude and requires a slower onset, so I'm adjusting."

155Secrets and Favors - Page 7 Empty Re: Secrets and Favors on Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:04 pm

"Are you kidding me?!" I practically cry, the words coming out somewhere between a sob and a snarl. "You've been keeping me on edge for days! Just - make it right, for fucks sake!"

"What is it??" Jean asks in confusion. "Why don't you just make it yourself if you don't like tea?"

I growl at that, my elbow jamming into the armrest of the door as I drop my head in my hand as I focus my aggression on the traffic. "Believe me," I say angrily. "I've tried."

View user profile

156Secrets and Favors - Page 7 Empty Re: Secrets and Favors on Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:14 pm

"He can't make it," I grin a bit as I glance at Jean, pleased with that fact as I drop a small assortment of stones into an amber bottle and drop the rest back into their bag and drop them back into my kit. "That's why he owes me this favor, and he's driving me to the capitol."

157Secrets and Favors - Page 7 Empty Re: Secrets and Favors on Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:32 pm

"All the magic in the world, and I can't make a simple fucking brew," I grind out in frustration before pulling up my sleeve to show the scars on my arm from a nasty burn. "Closest I ever got to unlocking the secret, right there. I really thought I would be free from having to rely on a fucking apothecary again, but I failed. I had to concede and find someone like Teagan here to torture me with the occasional taste of relief. Now I'm driving to the bloody capitol in the dead of winter with a nut, a blind guy, a hooker, and a murderess."

View user profile

158Secrets and Favors - Page 7 Empty Re: Secrets and Favors on Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:55 pm

I frown up at him, plugging the bottle with my finger as I shake it while I watch him. 

"There's a reason apothecaries are family businesses, you know," I say towards Jean, nodding towards the scar on Cael's arm. "It's in our blood, our genes. We're-" I sigh, holding the bottle up to the window as I peer through it before going back to shaking, "Evolved sounds rude, but it works. We're evolved to handle these agents without the nasty burns and rashes and such they can give people. All Cael did was knock over- What was it? That bowl of extractor and a bit of the stones - Just that'll eat the skin off your arm."

159Secrets and Favors - Page 7 Empty Re: Secrets and Favors on Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:08 am

"I knocked the extra stones into the bowl," I say dejectedly. "It was working, the stone was dissolving, and then the other ones hit the extractor and boom! Chemical burns and caught my arm on fire."

"Okay, so wait-," Jean frowns as he looks more closely at what Teagan is doing. "You're an actual apothecary?? Like the ones Primes go to for blood and whatever else?? And you - you're like - what do they call it..? An echo mutant?"

My eyes widen at that, my elbow coming back so quickly it nearly catches Jean in the face as he stumbles back in alarm.

"Hey, FUCK YOU!" I shout, trying once more to hit him as he wisely keeps out of reach. "I'm not a mutant, you fuckin' pouf! It's Echo. Simple as that!"

"Alright, alright!" Jean says, holding his hands up apologetically. I cut him one final withering glare before returning my attention to the road as he comes back up to watch Teagan between the seats. "But you're definitely an apothecary, right? Or is there another name for it?"

View user profile

160Secrets and Favors - Page 7 Empty Re: Secrets and Favors on Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:18 am

"Nope, just apothecary," I respond plainly, unfazed by Cael's outburst as I look at the bottle in the light again before handing it to Jean to hold. "Don't spill it, don't touch the top. Just keep it upright."

Humming, I dig back into my kit, pausing to push my hair out of my way before I find the small mortar and pestle I was looking for and a tin of green chalky substance, popping it open to sniff curiously before wrinkling my nose and huffing as I set it in my lap and begin spooning a bit of the stuff into the mortar. Taking the bottle from Jean, I smile at the relieved look on his face and begin pouring it bit by bit into the chalky powder, using the pestle to grind it into a paste as I go. 

"Echoes are quite touchy, aren't they?" I ask softly, careful to position myself in a way so Cael risks upending my work should he decide to lash out again. "I once called one a mutant when I was a child, my father nearly had to euthan- Cease business with the man, he was so unnerved. Though, as I recall, he had been untended for far too long. Nearly a feral, he was.

"Cael, though, he's nice. All bark, I think. Bit too much bark, he's quite loud sometimes, I've learned. Usually calms down once he's been tended, though."

161Secrets and Favors - Page 7 Empty Re: Secrets and Favors on Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:27 am

"I'm not a plant," I snap, my arm twitching toward her spitefully before I notice the mortar sitting on the armrest of her chair. Looking at it mournfully, I put my hand back on the wheel and grind my teeth instead. "I don't need tending. I just want my damn stuff!" 

My head feels like it's being split in two as I think about her father ceasing business with one of his echoes. The subject is already a sore one, and the idea that I could so easily be euthanized puts me even more on edge as I glance at the paste she's making dubiously. I hate it, but at this point, I feel so starved that I'm not entirely certain I'd care if there were some kind of poison in it, so long as it brought relief. 

"Are you almost done?" I ask balefully as I fix my gaze on the road, only just noticing that my knuckles had gone white while I was thinking about her having to end our business relationship.

View user profile

162Secrets and Favors - Page 7 Empty Re: Secrets and Favors on Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:47 am

"With the paste," I nod, looking up at him with a slight frown. "I still need to heat the tea. Paste needs to melt and dissolve into the proper temperature or it'll hit in bursts and no telling when. Sort of like the tea I made a few days ago, if you remember. The waves made you sick, and I won't have that, not while you're driving."

I set the mortar down on the set as I slide out of it, raising my armrest so I can step around Jean - practically over Jean - to get into the back so I can find the small hot plate he has stowed somewhere.

163Secrets and Favors - Page 7 Empty Re: Secrets and Favors on Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:01 am

"It wasn't the waves," I bite out under my breath, my leg bouncing antsily as I glance over at the mortar longingly. Unfortunately, I know better than to sneak any of it, knowing that in the state it's currently in, it would do more harm than good. That doesn't stop me from thinking about it, though.

I'm so engrossed in its unguarded proximity, that I almost don't notice the way Jean makes barely any effort to move as Teagan steps over him. Almost. Unfortunately, I know the look on his face well enough to catch it out of the corner of my eye before I look back at Teagan rooting around in my bag.

"Hey!" I can feel my tongue catching behind my teeth, unsure which issue to tackle first as I twist back to glare between Teagan and Jean. "Quit rifling through my bag! And quit eye humping her ass! There will be no sex or violating my privacy!"

View user profile

164Secrets and Favors - Page 7 Empty Re: Secrets and Favors on Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:10 am

"What's eye humping!?" I frown, twisting around to look at Cael with a pout as I hug the bag I'm looking through to my knees where I'm knelt by one of the van walls.

165Secrets and Favors - Page 7 Empty Re: Secrets and Favors on Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:15 am

"THIS creep!" I say, swatting at Jean scoldingly as his eyes widen innocently.

"I wasn't doing anything!" he says defensively, his cheeks flushing in embarrassment.

"Like hell," I scoff before nodding back to Teagan, my gaze wandering between her and the road. "He was looking you over like a horny schoolboy. I feel indecent just having witnessed it. You keep yourself bent over in front of him, and I don't think you'll have to pay the bastard - he'll just mount you for good measure."

View user profile

166Secrets and Favors - Page 7 Empty Re: Secrets and Favors on Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:17 am

"Wha-" I twist onto my rear, facing the two as my eyes widen broadly, "Really!? Just from looking at my rump!?"

167Secrets and Favors - Page 7 Empty Re: Secrets and Favors on Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:29 am

"Well, it is a rather nice rump," I admit, smirking in amusement at Jean's embarrassment.

"No!" He says with wide eyes, shaking his head before he winces at Teagan apologetically. "I swear, I wasn't meaning to stare, not like that-," but his apology only makes his cheeks flush darker as he catches himself looking her over again. "I'm sorry, forgive me."

View user profile

168Secrets and Favors - Page 7 Empty Re: Secrets and Favors on Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:33 am

"Shut up, Cael," I sigh as he continues to embarrass the man, my head shaking slightly as I look back at Jean with a slightly excited look. 

"This is brilliant! Catching the eye of a prostitute! That's a high honor!" I grin, returning to the bag as I fish out the large heating plate I'd been looking for as I set it aside and look for the small sealed kettle I'd been using with it. "I'm flattered."

169Secrets and Favors - Page 7 Empty Re: Secrets and Favors on Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:42 am

"You're not serious," I groan as I look back at Teagan again. Jean's flush has turned to one of pleasure as he grins stupidly at the woman. "He's a prostitute! He's horny all the time! I bet he'd hump my leg if I paid him enough."

"You couldn't afford me," he responds dryly, cocking an eyebrow up at me as he moves into a more comfortable seat to continue admiring Teagan. "And that's saying something since I set my prices to deter people that repel me."

"You were ready to charge Teagan pretty steeply," I retort, narrowing my eyes at him in annoyance.

"And now I'm thinking about how I don't really need new shoes," he smiles. "Or a car..."

View user profile

170Secrets and Favors - Page 7 Empty Re: Secrets and Favors on Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:50 am

I can hear the woman behind me groan as she adjusts her arms over her head, though even her distaste does little to quash the tickled flush on my cheeks, each one aching with the broad grin on my lips. 

"Is that so?" I ask, gathering the hot plate and kettle into my arms as I rise to head back to my seat.

171Secrets and Favors - Page 7 Empty Re: Secrets and Favors on Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:56 am

"It is," Jean responds, his voice growing husky as he looks up at Teagan. He licks his lips as she steps over him, this time making no effort to hide his wandering gaze as he does. I can't help but reflect Ljuba's sentiment as I groan in disgust.

"Tea," I say firmly. "You're making me tea."

View user profile

172Secrets and Favors - Page 7 Empty Re: Secrets and Favors on Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:00 am

"Oh, I thought you were calling me Tea," I respond, my attention redirected as quickly as that as I sink back into my seat and move the mortar into my lap as the other items get shuffled to the floor board. Twisting back, I grin at Jean bashfully before shooing him back so I can push my seat back as far as it goes, sinking into the gap between the two seats so I can get to the floor board to set up the tea kettle.

173Secrets and Favors - Page 7 Empty Re: Secrets and Favors on Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:20 am

"Do people often call you Tea?" I ask, cocking an eyebrow at the woman as I glance between her and the road to watch what she's doing.

View user profile

174Secrets and Favors - Page 7 Empty Re: Secrets and Favors on Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:32 am

"No, that's why I was confused." I respond absently, shoving my hair back over my shoulders before I dig out one of the bottles of water from my bag to empty into the kettle so I can turn it on.

175Secrets and Favors - Page 7 Empty Re: Secrets and Favors on Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:33 am

"Teagan, has anyone told you that you're weird?" I ask with an exasperated sigh.

View user profile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 13]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum