When Worlds Fall

Sordid Nation 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Secrets and Favors

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down  Message [Page 12 of 13]

276 Re: Secrets and Favors on Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:08 pm

"So he's the one that got you away," I nod, my voice just above a whisper as Marnin takes care to start combing through my hair. "I should thank him."

**T**

"It's rude to hover." I say as I settle onto the seat, adjusting the neck of my dress as the scratchy wool threatens to tangle my hair.

"Why are you sulking?" I ask bluntly as I look over at Jean, "They're hardly fighting anymore."

View user profile http://sordidnations.forumotion.com

277 Re: Secrets and Favors on Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:00 pm

*Cael*

"Weren't you listening?" I frown quietly, glancing over my shoulder before I drop my voice further. "She was pregnant with his kid and got an abortion without telling him."

Jean's jaw flexes as he looks over at me balefully. For a moment, I think he's about to say something, but instead he just pulls up the collar of his coat and rests his head against the window tiredly. 

"It was eight years ago," he says into the wool of his turtle neck. "It doesn't matter."

*Marnin*

"He'll deny it was him," I smile lightly. "He has a whole alibi with documentation and witnesses and everything saying he was on the other side of the continent when I made my run for it. And wisely so. The driver that was suspected to have helped is in the Capitol Asylum now. It's a shame, really. He was very loyal to Richard, but then that's why I sent him the thank you letter that framed him."

View user profile

278 Re: Secrets and Favors on Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:35 pm

**T**

Frowning tensely, I look from Jean to Cael as I shake my head. 

"It's rude, I just said that," I whisper, scooting over a bit so I can settle into the center of the seat. I reach over to pick at a small bit of lint on Jean's sleeve, rolling it between my fingers as I look him over. 

"So you said you used to cart people around," I clear my throat, smiling a bit as Jean glances towards me. "Tell me about it? I've only ever done this, and not for very long. I'm curious what it's like to do other jobs!"

**L**

I smile softly in response, reaching up to take the comb from him as I pick some of my hairs from its tines. My nails trace over the fingers of the comb, my smile fading a bit as I stare down at it. 

"He knows you're coming, doesn't he?"

279 Re: Secrets and Favors on Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:50 pm

*Marn*

"I haven't given him any details, but I imagine so," I say quietly as I work the dirtiest part of her hair between the soapy cloth. "His calls have been getting more frequent, and he seems more excited and pleasant every time I talk to him... he's started texting me again, too. He keeps sending me pictures for you, trying to involve you in the conversation.

"I honestly don't know how I feel about it," I admit with a faint frown.

*Cael*

"I don't know, it's kind of boring most of the time," Jean frowns as he glances up at Teagan apprehensively. "I mean, you meet a lot of people who're usually pretty normal, for the most part... every now and then, though, there are those interesting clients that make you question their sanity. I've had a trunk full of cats before because this man couldn't go anywhere without his cats. And I've had three women give birth in my backseat, and one guy die without warning... swear to god, I thought he was taking a nap, but he just kicked off right there."

View user profile

280 Re: Secrets and Favors on Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:57 pm

"He DIED in your backseat!?" I bounce a bit as I laugh, "And babies!? That sounds obscenely exciting! What made you quit?"

*L*

"He unsettles me." I respond, as though my opinion of the man would somehow help Marnin come to his conclusion. "Like when he said my name on the phone earlier? I don't like him knowing I exist."

281 Re: Secrets and Favors on Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:19 pm

"I don't either," I admit with a heavy frown, glancing toward the front of the van as Teagan's excitement carries back to us. "I don't even know how he found out about you, but he did and he hounded me to figure out our relationship. That was a long time ago, though... now he's - I don't even know. He bought you shoes, Lju. I have no doubt they're stunning, he always had an eye for that kind of thing, but... I don't know. It feels weird."

*Cael*

I'm not even surprised that someone died in his backseat, but I'm amused at how excited Teagan seems to get.

"Yeah, I don't know what happened," Jean laughs, seeming to perk up a bit as he gets a little more comfortable in his seat. "He was an older gentleman, but he seemed perfectly healthy when I picked him up. He was going to his daughter's wedding, dressed real nice, super clean... then he just died. I took him the rest of the way, and it turns out his daughter had been married for twenty years. She hadn't seen or spoken to him since before she'd gotten married."

View user profile

282 Re: Secrets and Favors on Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:41 pm

"Well, I'm never wearing them." I frown, wincing a bit as he manages to pull a bit of hair before I lean in closer so he can finish working the soap through my hair. 

"I'd be content if I died without ever meeting the man."

**T**

"Aww," The story brings a pout to my lips, and I tug my legs up into the seat as I twist to lean with my back against the side of Cael's seat so I can face Jean. "How heartbreaking. How did she take it? You showing up with her father's corpse?"

283 Re: Secrets and Favors on Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:50 pm

"She cried," Jean sighs. "I guess he'd gotten sick shortly before her wedding. His mind had gone, and he just up and left one day without a word. No one knew where he'd gone; they all thought he'd died. It was heartbreaking that his last moments were spent thinking about getting to his daughter's wedding. The way he bragged, I had no idea he wasn't all there. He was so excited to give his little girl away. He had no idea she'd already married and that she had little girls of her own who'd already gone on and gotten married themselves."

*Marnin*

"Yeah," I say quietly, unable to find anything else to say on the matter. Truthfully, I've gone back and forth so many times on the subject, so much so that I really don't know how I feel about it. Wisdom tells me it's an awful idea, though, so I've stuck with that.

"Do you want to look at them?" I ask after a moment, a note of hesitation in my voice as I pause what I'm doing to tilt my head toward her. "The texts, I mean..."

View user profile

284 Re: Secrets and Favors on Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:55 pm

"Really?" I gawk up at him, a bit taken aback as I shake my head. "No. I don't want to be involved with him ever. When you think of me, I don't want him to ever have reason to spring to mind."

**T**

"That's so awful." I sigh, Cael's arm catching my side as he adjusts one of the dials on the dash. Without even thinking, I jab him back with my elbow, twisting to look up at him over my shoulder with narrowed eyes. 

"Don't you start."

285 Re: Secrets and Favors on Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:06 pm

"I wasn't starting anything!" I say defensively, my eyes widening innocently. "Honest, it's a perfectly sad little story! I'm weeping with sadness."

"So have you encountered anything like that?" Jean asks curiously, and I can't help the scoff that comes out of my mouth as I shake my head.

"Are you kidding?" I respond. "I've had plenty of people die in the back of my van. But I don't go driving across the country to ruin some poor woman's wedding with a corpse in my backseat. I've gotta sleep back there, man. Don't be ridiculous."

*Marn*

"That's not why I was asking," I frown, shaking my head at her response. "I meant... not do you want to see what he wanted you to see... I meant, like... do you want to see what he says to me? Nevermind, it was a stupid idea. I was trying to be more open, but yeah... that's - just no. Nevermind."

View user profile

286 Re: Secrets and Favors on Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:12 pm

"No, no." I frown, reaching up to catch his hand as he threatens to squeeze soapy water out into my lap. "If you want to share it with me, then I'd love to see. But because you want me to, not him."

**T**

I give Cael a playfully teasing look before I look back at Jean.

"Ah, yeah, didn't you know? We're in Casa de Cael."

287 Re: Secrets and Favors on Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:37 pm

"Charming," Jean says, glancing around the van in a way that makes me narrow my eyes at him.

"Hey," I say scoldingly. "Casa de Cael trumps whatever shitty little mansion you grew up in, asshole."

"I grew up in a hodge-podge little cottage, thank you very much," Jean scoffs before nodding at the van's interior as he gets comfortable again. "Really, though, this isn't a bad little set-up. I'm sure it does better in the snow than my old car did."

*Marnin*

"I don't mind if you'd like to see," I say, avoiding saying that I want her to read them. "I guess I'm just saying... I don't want to hide anything from you. If you ever want to see them, or if you want to be there when he calls... I don't mind."

View user profile

288 Re: Secrets and Favors on Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:47 pm

"Show me." I say softly, taking the rag from his hands as I finish working it through my hair so he can grab his phone. "I want to see them, show me."

**T**

"It's surprisingly comfortable." I nod in agreement as I look around, "I haven't slept in here, yet, though. I don't think he wanted me in here over night the first few days we were traveling. Made us stay at some shoddy inns.

"I think he has bad dreams," I say with a knowing nod, preparing my arm to jab Cael should he decide to retaliate for my teasing. "Or morning wood. I hear that's embarrassing."

289 Re: Secrets and Favors on Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:57 pm

"Did you seriously just make a joke about my penis?!" I practically yell, shoving at her roughly as I let out a sharp laugh as she jabs me in the ribs. "Fuck you," I laugh. "And I do not have bad dreams. Weird dreams, maybe, but not bad. I just like to sleep in a real bed from time to time."

*Marn*

"Are you sure?" I ask hesitantly. It feels weird pulling my phone out in front of her, and weirder still to be turning it on and clicking through it to the messages screen so I can hand it to her.

View user profile

290 Re: Secrets and Favors on Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:32 pm

I nod to Jean as though patronizing Cael before he shoves me again, a broad grin spreading across my face as I reach back to swat at him. My arm gets away from me though, and I squeal guiltily as my hand lands right in his crotch, earning a loud oof from him. I scurry around onto my hands and knees, practically backing in Jean's lap as I look at Cael with wide eyes as he steadies the wheels of the van again while trying to catch his breath.

"I'm sorry!" I say firmly, "Accident!"

**L**

"Why are all of these questions about me..?" I ask, scrolling through the phone curiously when the van jerks a bit and a touch of chaos ensues in the front of the vehicle. I practically drop the phone as I grab Marnin's shoulder and the side of the van to brace myself, looking forward to see Teagan perched in Jean's lap and apologizing profusely to Cael.

291 Re: Secrets and Favors on Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:44 pm

"Second date!" I shout shoving her farther into Jean's lap as the man sits up, tensing as he tries to keep her steady while simultaneously protecting his own business. "No groping until the second date! God! You perv! Also: Ow!"

*Marnin*

"Like I said, he's been a lot more interested in you lately," I say after the van steadies itself and I've managed to remain upright next to her.

View user profile

292 Re: Secrets and Favors on Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:07 pm

Once the ones in the front have settled back down, I look back at Marnin, scooping up his phone as I glance back down at it. 

"What have you told him?"

**T**

"I wasn't GROPING!" I exclaim, "It was an accident, I didn't mean to touch you! Jean!" I twist in the man's lap, looking at him seriously as I frown. "It was an accident!"

293 Re: Secrets and Favors on Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:19 pm

"You don't have to tell me!" Jean laughs as he rests his hand on her leg. To his credit, he looks as though he's trying to keep as much distance between them as possible, but in the cramped space it's difficult.

"Oi, now you're molesting Jean!" I laugh, a broad grin spreading across my lips as I see her turning scarlet at the teasing.

*Marnin*

"Nothing," I shrug, pointedly ignoring the continued chaos at the front of the van. "I just sort of redirected him into describing the stuff he bought and then told him I thought it would look nice on you. Honestly, I was kind of mad when he found this one outfit that I think you really would have liked. It's something I would have liked to have found myself. It's the grey one, if you're interested."

View user profile

294 Re: Secrets and Favors on Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:30 pm

"I'm not!" I whine, clumsily crawling off of his lap and back into the center seat as I work to keep my dress down over my legs, my fingers pinching at the fabric of my stockings to stop the material from bunching or sagging as I adjust myself. 

"I wasn't, you're both arses."

**L**

Looking back at the phone, I scroll through the conversation to find the grey outfit he'd mentioned, blushing a bit at the fine gown and expensive shoes. 

"Marn," I frown softly, shaking my head as I look up at him, "I'd never wear anything like this. I don't think I've worn a dress ever in my life, and I hardly lead the life of someone who could justify wearing one as fine at that-" I sigh, handing him the phone. "Besides, it looks itchy."

295 Re: Secrets and Favors on Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:41 pm

"I didn't say it was practical," I say as I take the phone, tapping the button that I've hotkeyed to read out the selected text. I sigh a bit after the phone reads off the description for the outfit in a somewhat robotic female voice. "I don't have a reason to wear the suit he picked to go with the dress, after all, but I'd be lying if I didn't say it would be fun to find an excuse. But then, the suit sounds much more comfortable than the dress, and I'm blind, so there's that."

*Cael*

"It's too easy to make you blush," I grin, pointedly rubbing my thigh where she'd very narrowly missed my crotch. "It's cute, though. You're very erratic when you're flustered."

View user profile

296 Re: Secrets and Favors on Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:45 pm

"I still like the dress you found." I say softly, stifling a yawn as I sink back against the wall and start the tedious work of combing through my half-dry/half-wet hair. "I'd rather wear that one."

**T**

Cheeks still warm, I cut Cael a half-annoyed look before moving to sit perfectly centered on the seat - equal distance from both of them - as I straighten out my skirt and cross my ankles. Like a lady, I think to myself, tucking my feet beneath my seat as I plant my hands in my lap. 

"How're you feeling, anyhow? Did that second tea help?"

297 Re: Secrets and Favors on Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:50 pm

"Yeah, I feel super," I smile. "Bit of pain on my groin, though."

*Marn*

I can't help but flush at that, a pleased grin spreading across my cheeks.

"Is it better?" I ask hopefully. "Please say it's better."

View user profile

298 Re: Secrets and Favors on Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:02 pm

"It's much prettier." I nod, smiling at the pleased look on his face as I comb through my hair. "Much softer, too, I bet."

**T**

"You're a dream to travel with." I sigh, rolling my eyes as I twist around to crawl back into the back of the van, moving to settle in behind Cael's seat so I can go through my bag, looking for something to distract myself with.

299 Re: Secrets and Favors on Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:07 pm

"He never seemed to understand that," I say triumphantly. "Who cares if it's pretty to look at if you're miserable wearing it? He had this damn suit he always wanted me to wear that was fucking awful! I broke out into a rash every time I wore it, it was so itchy. Though, that was probably the point, now that I think about it."

*Cael*

"Is that why people keep hopping in my van uninvited?" I ask dryly, glancing into the rearview mirror at the couple in the back corner.

View user profile

300 Re: Secrets and Favors on Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:25 pm

"It's probably because they know it drives you insane and you're so fun to annoy." Teagan calls up to him from her spot on the floor, a ratty old notebook perched in her lap as she taps her pen repeatedly against the edge before testing it against the paper. 

"You're so er-" She starts, her brow pinching as though she's trying to work out the rest of the statement, "When you're flustered, you're-" Again, she fails to come through on the teasing remark, Cael's laughter shutting her down as she draws her knees up and works harder to hide behind her book. 

"You think he'd punish you with clothes?" I ask softly, content the woman ahead of us has stopped her attempt to berate Cael so I can continue at a comfortable yet quiet volume. "That's a pity. Probably make you more appreciative of the comfy stuff, huh? I d'know about you, but I'd be looking forward to that silky soft dress against my skin after a day in scratchy old rags."

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 12 of 13]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum