You are not connected. Please login or register

Secrets and Favors

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 32 ... 60, 61, 62

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 62 of 62]

306 Re: Secrets and Favors on Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:44 am

"Oh?" I respond quietly, pointedly playing dumb, "What would?"

View user profile http://sordidnations.forumotion.com

307 Re: Secrets and Favors on Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:15 am

"That silk dress," I smirk, tilting my head up to nuzzle into the hair near her ear.

View user profile

308 Re: Secrets and Favors on Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:20 am

Shivers run down my neck as I grin bashfully, noting the way Teagan glances up at the sound of my giggling.

"Shhh," I half-hiss at Marnin, tucking my jaw down against my shoulder as I pull the blanket up over me, as though hiding from the others.

View user profile http://sordidnations.forumotion.com

309 Re: Secrets and Favors on Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:39 pm

Snickering, I scoot down a little bit before lying down on my side beneath the blankets. I can sense Ljuba's hesitation before I pat the floor next to her to get her to lay down as well. As she does, I fold my arm under my head as a makeshift pillow before the buzz of the phone going off on the metal floor forces me to pick my head back up.

I scowl at the phone as I turn the volume down to nearly nothing before hitting the button to read off the text. What are you doing? It's a simple enough question, one he asks frequently, but I can feel my cheeks turning red at the odd timing. Particularly with Ljuba so close that I can feel the heat of her breath as she peeks at the phone as I type.

Napping. I reply uneasily. Not feeling well. What are you doing? I hope he'll take the hint to leave me alone, but no such luck. In a meeting, he replies and I'd swear I can almost hear his sigh as he rolls his eyes, undoubtedly for all the members of the meeting to see. It's soooo booring.

What is it about? I ask, unsure I want to know the answer. Whether or not we could use an outpost a little further out West. My heart drops before the voice has even finished reading it off to me. I was thinking somewhere near Old North or the Crossroads. What do you think? Are you familiar with the area?

Of course I'm familiar with the area! I practically want to scream, but instead I take in a calm breath and reply. I wouldn't bother, Old North is even more dull than New Haven. And the Balik family already has a heavy presence in the Crossroads.

Can the Balik family be worked with? he asks, and that's when I realize that despite being away from him, I've already done the job he would send me to do.

No, I respond automatically. I already vetted them. They're some kind of brotherhood. They do rigorous background checks and retraining, both mentally and physically, before they let anyone near their inner circle. Youngest member of the circle took twenty years to get there, and he was an orphan adopted by their Sheik. Anyone you sent in would be turned against you.

Even you? he asks innocently, but of course nothing is ever innocent with him.

I'm already against you, aren't I? I reply with a scowl, refusing to play into the game as I switch the phone off and shove it into my pocket before scooting closer to Ljuba so I can rest my head against her. I almost feel guilty for whoever happens to be sitting close enough for him to hit, but I can't deny the smug satisfaction of knowing that I just turned his meeting into a stage for his explosive rage. They won't be deciding on where to put their outpost today, and it certainly won't be at the Crossroads.

I'd never tell him, but I already warned the Balik family about Richard and his own little 'brotherhood'. He's unaware of it, but the Baliks already consider themselves an enemy to the Braddocks. I can't even count the number of Richard's men that I've spotted who mysteriously went missing after I'd had a short chat with one of the Balik boys. They're a scary bunch, but they're honorable.

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 62 of 62]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 32 ... 60, 61, 62

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum