When Worlds Fall

Sordid Nation 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Mirror, Mirror, on the wall

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 30 ... 59  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 59]

1 Mirror, Mirror, on the wall on Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:14 pm

The tension that plagued the first short stretch of the trip had all but entirely dissolved as the day wore on. Cael fell into his own comfort zone driving, occasionally tapping out a rhythm on the steering wheel or cutting on the radio just long enough for it to irritate him and be cut back off. Jean sat silently secluded in the front seat, forehead planted against the window with his eyes glued on the landscape. 

Even the couple in the back of the van had found their groove - taking turns being one another's pillow as they dozed off and on. The soft cadence of their breathing only broken by the occasional groggy exchange. 

I almost feel guilty about having lied about their tea being nothing stronger than basic herbs, a sedative having found its way inside. Almost guilty. But not. The ease it'd afforded the rest of the day made it entirely worth it. 

The pages of my journal have been filling up over the past hundred or so miles. Observations about how the valerian's mixed with the passionflower filling more than a dozen on it's own. I'd even managed to remember to leave several pages blank so I can address any potential 'hangover' the herbs might leave with Marnin and Ljuba, though I never quite figured out how to address it when it came time to ask. Something tells me the blind man won't be ecstatic that I dosed him without his explicit consent. He seems like the explicit consent sort. 

I'd made my own tea, steeped and stored for the morning, and tucked myself into my blankets for the night. Despite intending to wait for Cael to have found a spot to park, I doze off to the steady hum of the engine and sway of the road. 

~~~

I wake up before everyone else - as I tend to do - and go about my morning routine. Having been stored beneath the driver's seat, the thermos my tea is in still feels warm to the touch as I tug it out and open it up, rubbing at my eyes in the dim dawn-light. Jean is still asleep in the front seat, looking rather uncomfortable, and Cael has taken up what was left of the floor in the back with his blankets and sprawled-out sleeping position.

It's cold, but not uncomfortably so, as I remove my blankets and crawl up into the driver's seat. It's the easiest door to get to without stepping on or over anyone, and I make it my spot as I start the process of undressing. It's still something I haven't gotten used to - sleeping dressed - and it's time consuming as I try to wiggle out of my stockings without knocking over my thermos or disturbing anyone or any thing. The cool air against my legs, too, only makes me question the logic of waking up so warm to threaten it with the cold snow outside. 

The tea's warming presence has already started settling in the pit of my stomach, though. It's tickling high spreads out through my limbs as I maneuver out of my dress and slip, folding them haphazardly and setting them on my shoes and stockings in the gap between the seats. 

Finishing the last of my tea, I tuck the thermos neatly in with my clothes and carefully open the driver's door, inhaling sharply at the cold air that whips over me. The cool washes over the warmth left from the tea, and it radiates up my spine in the most exquisite way, a smile spreading across my lips as I slip out of the narrow gap in the door - to avoid it's inherent creaking, of course - and shut it quietly behind me. 

The ice burns at the bottom of my feet as I hurry around the van, stopping mid-stride as I spin back to look at the van longingly. I forgot my blanket. Crap. Too late now. Going back will undoubtedly wake someone up, and the sun's already threatening to rise. The sun, and the calming rush of chemicals that seem to ease around my skull. Fuck it

I continue several yards out into the snow, my feet sinking in past my ankles with each step until I come upon a fallen tree, eager for the perch as I crawl up and take my seat. Won't be long, now. Legs curled underneath me, elbows on my knees, and my back stretching in an infinite arch as my head lolls around my shoulders. Eyes closing, I inhale deeply, for when they open, it won't be the morning sky they see.

View user profile http://sordidnations.forumotion.com

2 Re: Mirror, Mirror, on the wall on Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:51 pm

*Cael*

It's a slow process, coaxing myself into consciousness under the warmth of my covers. Stretching lazily, I open my eyes slowly as I tilt my head up to peek at Ljuba and Marnin still snoozing comfortably in the back of the van.

It's a few more minutes before I lift my head to see Jean before I realize that Teagan is missing. Frowning lightly, I sit up slowly to look around in confusion. That's when I see the crack of the driver door not being closed completely.

"Ugh," I groan under my breath as I pull my boots toward me to put them on. Damn woman is gonna get herself killed, sitting outside in the wilds. I'm sure I'm not as quiet as she was when I climb up into the front seat to get out of the driver's side.

"Fuck me, it's cold," I complain to myself as I rub my arms vigorously, taking care not to get snow in my untied boots as I head toward where Teagan is sitting on a fallen tree... naked. Fucking naked. I stop in the snow, staring at her in mild shock.

"What a fucking weirdo," I groan once I've regained my composure. Trudging the rest of the way to the tree, I pause next to her to examine the vacant expression on her face. High as a fucking kite, naturally. She doesn't even blink when I wave my hand in front of her face.

Hesitating, I bite my lip lightly as I look her over appreciatively. She's fucking nuts, sitting out here in the cold, but damn does she have a nice body. Sighing, I look around the vacant landscape for any onlookers or potential threats before taking a seat on the tree beside her.

Unlike her, however, I'm not high enough to be oblivious to the cold, so I remove a small piece of bleached driftwood from my pocket and toss it into the snow a few feet in front of me. With a snap of my fingers, a fire roars up in the bluish-purple flames that are a token of the sodium soaked wood. Fortunately, it lacks the toxicity of burning actual driftwood, but it still looks cool and burns hot, which is all I really care about at the moment.

Now, we wait.

View user profile

3 Re: Mirror, Mirror, on the wall on Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:05 pm

It's like trying to remember a dream. A drugged-out, fever-induced dream that leaves my body sore and tense as I hunch over my lap gasping for breath. Back arched and arms outstretched, I'm gulping in air as my fingers run through my hair so my arms can tangle in it's length. 

Snow. Cold. Shivering. The abrasiveness of the weather almost wipes the memories of my dream from my mind as I let my legs fall over the either edge of the tree, and I shove my hair back so I can wrap my arms across my chest for warmth. 

That's when I see him. Perched boredly beside me, watching me like I'm some sort of spectacle. I'm too cold to startle, but that doesn't stop me from staring back at him with wide eyes. 

"What?" I frown, "What are you looking at?"

4 Re: Mirror, Mirror, on the wall on Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:46 pm

"Specifically?" I ask, raising an eyebrow as my gaze falls back down to her goosebumped skin and very erect nips. Clearing my throat, I think better of giving her the rest of the answer, and simply shrug instead.

"A freezing woman?" I offer before shrugging off my coat and offering it to her. "What are you doing out here anyway? Was the trip that good, or is there some method to the madness here?"

View user profile

5 Re: Mirror, Mirror, on the wall on Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:47 pm

"It's purer." I say simply, taking his coat as I drape it across my front and twist my leg over the tree to face the burning wood. "When did you light a fire..?"

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 59]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 30 ... 59  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum