When Worlds Fall

Sordid Nation 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Mirror, Mirror, on the wall

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 30 ... 57, 58, 59  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 58 of 59]

286 Re: Mirror, Mirror, on the wall on Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:58 pm

"You're so sheltered," Cael laughs in amusement as he glances at Teagan. "It's cute. I remember when I used to be like that."

View user profile

287 Re: Mirror, Mirror, on the wall on Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:26 pm

"Don't patronize me," I smirk, rising up to point ahead as something catches me attention.

"THEY HAVE WINDMILLS!" I nearly shout, the large metal structures spinning steadily in the horizon. "Actual, moving WINDMILLS!"

View user profile http://sordidnations.forumotion.com

288 Re: Mirror, Mirror, on the wall on Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:56 pm

Cael laughs loudly at that and I can't help but grin as well as I nudge Ljuba to go look. The windmills are impressive, even to me, their massive blades swirling in the air to generate power for the city. There are many smaller ones dotting the landscape as well, providing power to smaller communities that wish to remain free of dependency from the city's power supply. Those are nowhere near as impressive as the bigger ones, though.

"They used to have more of them," Cael says after a moment as he leans forward to look at one as we pass. "Unfortunately, big ol' things like that are a pretty easy targets during skirmishes. That's why there are so many little ones out there, too. People got tired of losing power every time the ferals attacked the city's power supply, so they built their own."

View user profile

289 Re: Mirror, Mirror, on the wall on Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:47 pm

"They're so big," I grin broadly, glancing back as Ljuba crawls up to look out the windshield, too. "My grandmother used to tell me they were out this way, but I've never seen one before. Is it true these were common before the war?"

"I read they were only about as common as they are now, if you factor in population differences." Ljuba says, craning her neck past me to look up curiously. "These, and those big panels that used sun power, had a hard time taking off. Too many people were invested in the older methods."

View user profile http://sordidnations.forumotion.com

290 Re: Mirror, Mirror, on the wall on Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:15 pm

"Unfortunately, they don't have much of a choice now," I say as I bring Ljuba's book into my lap to run my fingers over the cover curiously. "A lot of the old coal sites were destroyed during the war. The Colossus were smart that way. They knew the other races could rebuild their power grids, but once the coal was gone, their grids were useless. I assume you've heard about the Black Mountains, where the sky glows red at night? That's the coal still burning from their magic. The place is toxic, but people still go there looking for Echo stones."

"It's a sacred place," Cael nods as he glances back in the mirror. "A lot of Echoes go there for their pilgrimage. They say the mines that have stopped burning are pure echostone. People die from the sheer beauty of it."

"No," I sigh at the reverent way he says it. "They die from the carbon monoxide poisoning and the intensely high concentrations of magic that's burning the crust of the earth to cinder. Beauty has nothing to do with it."

"Because a blind guy would know," Cael grumbles before glancing over at Teagan and Ljuba and mouthing. "It's the beauty that kills 'em."

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 58 of 59]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 30 ... 57, 58, 59  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum