When Worlds Fall

Sordid Nation 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Trigger Happy Jack

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 18 ... 31  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 31]

101 Re: Trigger Happy Jack on Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:52 pm

I shake my head again as I hug them tighter, my eyes widening in panic at the thought of Marnin's things being taken from me. I turn in my pacing to stay in the corner furthest from them both, my tears and running nose going unchecked as I hold possessively to the bags.

View user profile http://sordidnations.forumotion.com

102 Re: Trigger Happy Jack on Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:58 pm

"I don't want your valuables," I sigh, gritting my teeth as I glare at her. "I don't even care if you have a gun. In fact - I'll make a deal with you. Whatever food you have, if you have any echostones - even just the dust from one - give it to me, and I won't take the bags." I swallow roughly as I consider my next words, my gaze flickering over to Noll worriedly. "I'll even agree to hear you out... tell me your side of things, so I can make a better decision on whether or not to take you to Orlais... because everything I've heard about you..."

I laugh a bit, rubbing at my eyes as I shake my head. "You're supposed to be a bad person."

View user profile

103 Re: Trigger Happy Jack on Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:05 pm

I keep my back to them as I shake my head further, the fact anyone could think I deserved an ounce of this dissolving whatever resolve I had left. 

"I'm not a bad person," I cry, resting against the corner as I slowly reach up to rub at my face weakly, "but you can starve."

104 Re: Trigger Happy Jack on Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:13 pm

I grit my teeth at that as I put my bowl down and get to my feet. Noll's eyes are wide as he watches me over his food. Under any other circumstances, I would be horrified at even thinking about doing something like this in front of him. But he has to eat.

As soon as I've grabbed the bag, Noll starts crying as Ljuba yells, trying to keep her grip on the bag. Even hungry and depleted as I am, though, I still prove stronger than she is as I manage to yank the bag from her grip. She's still fighting to get it back even as I rip through it, soaps and half-used rolls of toilet paper scattering on the floor along with an assortment of men's clothes and a few scattered photographs.

"What the hell??" I scowl. "This isn't even your bag! Who'd you steal it from, huh?!"

View user profile

105 Re: Trigger Happy Jack on Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:17 pm

I'm in hysterics as I fall to the floor, gathering up the what remnants of Marnin I had left as I scream profanities at him. I'm startled into silence as the bag comes down heavily in front of my face, my vision bleary as I look up at him and start scrambling to refill it.

"Get OFF IT!" I continue, moving to try and shove his feet off of the scattered photos as I pry at them desperately. "Get off of his pictures! You'll ruin them!"

106 Re: Trigger Happy Jack on Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:21 pm

I scowl as I take another step back to get off of the pictures, my eyes raking over them as I recognize Richard in several of them. I can't be certain, but I think it's a blind man next to him, which could only be Marnin.

"The word is that you abducted him," I say accusingly, trying to make sense of her emotional response. "The blind one, Marnin?? Is that true?"

View user profile

107 Re: Trigger Happy Jack on Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:23 pm

"Don't look at them," I hiss, scooping up the photos as quickly as I can before sitting back on my haunches, clutching them to my chest with one hand as I try to situation the bag with the other. "They're private, he doesn't even let ME look at them!"

108 Re: Trigger Happy Jack on Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:28 pm

I stare at her with wide eyes, gaping slightly as she scrambles to hide the photos. Something isn't right here...

"You didn't, did you..?" I breathe as I step back again, my hands going to my hair as I draw in a shaking breath. "Fuck, you haven't done anything, have you?? You're probably just some poor stupid girl who got caught up with the wrong person! He said you were deranged, that you'd say anything to convince yourself it was all willing, that you hadn't stolen him."

View user profile

109 Re: Trigger Happy Jack on Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:43 pm

"How would I steal him!?" I scream up at him, his bag half-packed as I pull it all up into my lap. "HOW!?"

I drop the bag as I stand, pushing at him angrily. He hardly budges as I take a quick step back, my arms raised defensively. "He was my only friend. Do I look like I could steal anyone?"

110 Re: Trigger Happy Jack on Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:47 pm

"I don't know!" I shout back at her angrily. "That's why I'm asking you! I don't know you, I don't know this Marnin! All I know is what Braddock told everyone! It's the only reason I took this job - he's a fucking blind guy, I really doubt he could put up much of a fight if someone did want to abduct him! I thought it was sick that anyone would! That's why I agreed to track you down!"

View user profile

111 Re: Trigger Happy Jack on Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:51 pm

I'm running out of tears to cry as I stare at him, only shaking my head weakly as I drop back down to grab up his things. 

"He loves me." I say, "And he's going to come get me soon, and you'll see. You'll see that you're wrong."

112 Re: Trigger Happy Jack on Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:00 pm

"You're fucking nuts," I scoff, shaking my head at her as I step back, nearly tripping over a pair of the man's boxers. "C'mon, Noll," I say gently as I go to gather him up. His food is forgotten on the table as he cries into his blanket, watching us fearfully. "I'm sorry you had to see that. But it's okay, she won't be here long."

I scowl at the hysterical woman as I gather up Noll's blanket and the bowls of soup, handing him the less full one so he can hold onto it while I carry him into the bedroom. It's going to be a long night, and I doubt I'll get any sleep - but that doesn't mean I can't see that Noll does.

View user profile

113 Re: Trigger Happy Jack on Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:31 pm

I sink back into the corner, my hands running over Marnin's bag anxiously once I've returned all of it's contents to it. Hours pass like this, my back to the wall as I hug at Marnin's things, my eyes growing heavy despite my stubborn refusal to sleep. 

I must nod off at some point, because I'm startled back awake by the sound of the echo moving through the apartment. It's still dark out, and from the ginger way he's maneuvering around and over things, I'm assuming the child is still asleep, too. He's ignoring me, hardly even glancing my way more than when he happens to face my direction. I watch quietly as he empties what was left of his son's bowl from last night into a storage container. I can only assume it'll be his breakfast in a few short hours. 

"Where's his mother?" I ask weakly, almost wincing at the way it breaks the silence and stills the man in the kitchen.

114 Re: Trigger Happy Jack on Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:39 pm

For a moment, I almost ignore her, sparing only a glance her way before I return to what I'm doing. Better judgment spurs me to respond, however, grasping at any possibility that she might not be what her bounty says she is.

"She was killed," I respond quietly. "Orlesian hunters, as it happens... a female echo is big game to them... I'm sure they got quite the pretty penny off of her, too. If I could help it, I would never step foot in that wretched place again, but sadly it's one of the few places that will do business with someone who is very obviously an Echo. Assuming they have marketable skills that outweighs the prettiness of their hides."

View user profile

115 Re: Trigger Happy Jack on Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:46 pm

I only listen, shifting a bit where I sit to ease the stiffness in my legs. 

"So you're Richard's bounty hunter." I nod softly. "Noble."

116 Re: Trigger Happy Jack on Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:50 pm

"No," I frown as I look back at her. "I've never worked for the man in my life. Tried to avoid it, even. It was his damned hunters that took Noll's mother from us. No... I usually pick up thieves and murderers who are wanted by the Orlesian guard - who, contrary to popular belief, are not owned by the Braddocks.

"You?" I sigh as I turn to straighten up the kitchen. "You were a fluke. I was looking for an apothecary that's supposed to be traveling to the Capitol this month. Noll hasn't had his stones in over a month, and he's starting to reach that age where he needs them. I was looking for her when I spotted you."

View user profile

117 Re: Trigger Happy Jack on Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:04 pm

"So I'm just unlucky again?" I ask, scowling as I look up at him. "Can I ask you to pass that along to Marnin when he retrieves my body? She was just unlucky a lot."

118 Re: Trigger Happy Jack on Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:12 pm

I scowl at that before turning to finish scrubbing out my bowl. A tense silence falls over the room for a moment, my brow knit in thought as I carry on about my chores.

"Would he care?" I ask quietly. "This Marnin fellow? Would he care about losing you? I've heard the stories - the Tyrant of Orlais's husband. Always at his side, stilling the hand of the monster. I saw them once. I remember questioning how anyone could love a man like that, but Marnin seemed to. It was horrible when he wasn't there anymore. No one was around to stop Richard's hand from snuffing out whatever lives he deemed boring or in the way.

"Did he really just leave?" I ask earnestly as I turn to lean against the counter as I look at the dark-haired woman. "You really didn't take him or - I don't know, something?"

View user profile

119 Re: Trigger Happy Jack on Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:39 pm

"He escaped." I say, my voice rasping over the hoarseness that's set in after several days of hysterics. "He came to Old North, it's where we met."

120 Re: Trigger Happy Jack on Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:46 pm

"I'm sorry," I breathe, emotion threatening to overpower my determination. I shake my head, running my hand through my hair as I turn around. "I can't - I don't want to do this. I don't want to do it." I repeat, slamming my fist into the counter in frustration. But I have to. Don't I?

"I already called his people," I confess, anguish twisting at my insides as I look back at Ljuba guiltily. "He knows I have you. Knows where I live, about my son. What do I do?"

View user profile

121 Re: Trigger Happy Jack on Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:49 pm

My chest aches as I look at him, frowning weakly.

"You hand me over." I admit bleakly, my voice cracking as I wipe at my eyes. "He'll wind up with his hands on me anyway, won't he? No point in you and your son getting caught in the crossfire."

122 Re: Trigger Happy Jack on Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:57 pm

"I'm sorry," I say it again, the words cracking and turning into a bitter kind of laugh. "But you're right... I have to see this through. There isn't anyone else who would pay to have you. No one with enough pull to protect Noll if I gave you to someone else, or take care of him if I let you go..."

View user profile

123 Re: Trigger Happy Jack on Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:18 pm

"Don't kid yourself." I say sourly, "You let me go, there'd be no Noll to take care of.

"So do what you have to do, I don't care. But know, this isn't me forgiving you."

124 Re: Trigger Happy Jack on Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:31 pm

I scoff at that, shaking my head as I look around the barren kitchen. I don't know why I'm bothering to clean it - there's nothing to clean. To be honest, I'm not sure I want her forgiveness.

"I don't deserve it anyway," I admit with a sigh. "I came South looking for a better life than anything I might find in Soltera or the towns around it. Instead I got the Capitol, where our kind are an oddity at best, and then Orlais where we're no better than animals. I dragged him down here, promised him things would be better, and here we are - worse than ever, and now I'm sending you to your death just to put food on the fucking table.

"You shouldn't forgive me," I shake my head. "Forgiveness suggests that I've repented... but I haven't. God help me... I haven't. So long as I've got Noll depending on me, I'll continue to make these horrible decisions if it keeps him cared for. Damnation is a small price to pay for him."

View user profile

125 Re: Trigger Happy Jack on Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:34 pm

"Gods, I hope he goes on to do great things," I say, shaking my head in disgust as I look up at him. "Because if he winds up like you, then I'll have died in vain."

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 31]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 18 ... 31  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum