When Worlds Fall

Sordid Nation 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Trigger Happy Jack

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17 ... 31  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 31]

76 Re: Trigger Happy Jack on Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:54 pm

"Are you Marnin's Ljuba?" I ask as I glance into the back at the terrified woman. Scarred face, one good eye, dark hair, travelling with an Echo, poth, and the son of Prime. It has to be her, but I have to be certain.

View user profile

77 Re: Trigger Happy Jack on Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:08 am

"I asked you first." I respond lowly, hugging at the bags at my chest while I shift awkwardly onto the seats behind me.

View user profile http://sordidnations.forumotion.com

78 Re: Trigger Happy Jack on Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:11 am

I hesitate, turning my gaze back toward the road as I wind through traffic to get as far away from her Echo friend as possible.

"My name is Lavellan," I respond simply before repeating my question in the same tone I had asked it the first time. "Are you Marnin's Ljuba?"

View user profile

79 Re: Trigger Happy Jack on Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:12 am

"Fuck you." I hiss at him.

80 Re: Trigger Happy Jack on Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:44 am

I slam on the brakes - partly to avoid hitting the car in front of me, but mostly to send the unbuckled woman flying forward. She yelps when she does, her hand catching the back of the front seat to stop herself from hitting it before I slam on the gas again as I take off around the car I'd nearly hit. As she flies back into the seat again, I look back at her with a scowl.

"Nei, fuck you," I say harshly, my words so heavily accented I'm not sure she can even understand me. "Are you her?! It's a simple question! Yes or no?"

View user profile

81 Re: Trigger Happy Jack on Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:48 am

"I don't know what you're talking about!?" I yell back at him, holding my shoulder where I'd slammed back into the seats, my words thick with tears.

82 Re: Trigger Happy Jack on Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:50 am

"Then I can't take you to Marnin," I respond simply, veering sharply off into an alley where I slam on the brakes again - not hard enough to slam her forward this time, incidentally. "Get out."

View user profile

83 Re: Trigger Happy Jack on Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:53 am

"Wha-" My voice cracks as I scramble up to the front, holding onto this seat as I look out the front windshield into the alley, as though searching for someone outside. "You know where Marnin is?"

84 Re: Trigger Happy Jack on Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:59 am

The hope in her voice stings and I immediately feel bad for the deception as I look over at her appraisingly. The scars on her face are deep, too deep for a simple accident. And the redness under her eyes along with the dark shadows tells me that she's been crying a lot, keeping herself awake with whatever demons trouble her.

"I know where Marnin isn't," I say, deciding not to lie but also not to tell her the truth. "And he isn't in Orlais. Not anymore."

View user profile

85 Re: Trigger Happy Jack on Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:04 am

I wince slightly as he looks at me, his gaze raking over my features as I sink back into the back again.

"And you're not taking me to him..."

86 Re: Trigger Happy Jack on Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:11 am

"No," I admit a bit regretfully as I start driving again. "But thank you for confirming your identity. I've seen what happens to those who come to collect a bounty with the wrong prisoner in tow."

View user profile

87 Re: Trigger Happy Jack on Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:17 am

"I'm not a prisoner!" I cry out, pulling Marnin's bags back into my lap as I crawl into the back seat. "You fucking animal, I'm not a prisoner!"

Anger washes over me as I lean up to throw the bag at the front seat, wincing as it lands roughly against the gear shift, causing the vehicle to rock roughly before he can fix it.

88 Re: Trigger Happy Jack on Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:20 am

"Could you just - shut up?!" I snap as I throw the bag back at her in annoyance. "I've never done this before! You're really not making it any easier, but I'm sorry. It has to be done!"

View user profile

89 Re: Trigger Happy Jack on Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:21 am

"No, it doesn't!" I scream, throwing it again as it lands against the back of his seat before falling to the floor behind him.

"You could let me go! Say you never found me!"

90 Re: Trigger Happy Jack on Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:25 am

"There is no money in showing up empty handed!" I shout back at her. "If anything, I'm likely to be tortured or killed! And I can't let that happen, there are people who depend on me. I don't like it anymore than you do, but with as much as Braddock is offering for you, I could go five years without ever having to worry about where my next meal is going to come from."

View user profile

91 Re: Trigger Happy Jack on Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:46 am

"So you'll send me to my death?" I cry weakly, my anger fading as panic sets in. My heart races as I shrink into the seat, looking around frantically. 

"He's going to kill me. You know that? I'll die if you bring me to him!"

92 Re: Trigger Happy Jack on Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:51 am

I have a hard time looking at her, my gaze sticking to the road as I feel my eyes blur with angry tears. My mouth has gone dry, my throat threatening to close as I shake my head firmly.

"I'm sorry," I say huskily, my knuckles going white as I grip the steering wheel stubbornly. "It's two days to Orlais. I'll try to find something else - anything else - but you're the only job I've gotten all season, and there's a long winter ahead. We'll stay at my house tonight. You can have a warm bed and a hot meal, and take your time to write a letter to your Marnin. I'll see that he gets it as quickly as possible."

View user profile

93 Re: Trigger Happy Jack on Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:55 am

"You better tie me down, because I'm not going anywhere with you unless I'm dragged." I scowl towards him, crawling forward to grab up Marnin's bag before sinking back into the seat. I twist to my side, hugging his things to me desperately. Head rested on the pillow, any words that leave him at this point fall on deaf ears, a faint hum sticking in my throat as yet another thick wave of tears comes over me.

94 Re: Trigger Happy Jack on Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:20 am

I sigh heavily at her refusal to listen, my head shaking as I return my gaze to the road. It's nothing to get out of the Capitol, the road opening up before us quickly as I take the familiar route to the small town outside of the big city. It's maybe a four hour drive under normal circumstances, but as the sun continues to creep lower and lower on the horizon, I find myself growing more and more anxious as my foot sinks further down on the pedal.

Even driving dangerously fast on the increasingly icy roads, we still make it back to my house late. Guilt sticks at my insides as I pull into the drive to see every light in the house on. I've told him time and time again: don't turn the lights on when I'm gone. But when the sun sets, he can't help it. He's too afraid to sit alone in the dark.

"Come on," I say roughly once I've gotten out of the car and pulled the back door open. I can tell immediately that she's going to make good on her promise. I almost threaten to let her freeze to death if she doesn't cooperate, but I know that's a more attractive option than being taken alive to Richard. Scowling, I climb into the back of the car to drag her out, trying my damnedest not to use any magic on her.

That is until she starts screaming. Ear-splittingly screaming.

"Tăcere!" I hiss at her, the magic sapping out of me as it constricts around her throat, effectively silencing her screams. Still she struggles as I drag her out of the car, grabbing the small bag I have tucked under the seat as I keep an iron grip on her arm.

Getting her to the door proves to be a challenge, but once I've got her inside, it's a simple matter to slam the door before she can scurry back out again - the wards activating instantly to lock everyone that's on the outside out and everyone that's on the inside in.

"Behave," I hiss at her again as the sound of tiny feet come running through the hall. I wince as I notice the fridge and the cabinets in the kitchen standing open - the shelves completely barren and picked clean of what little food was left. It takes some effort to force a smile past the lump in my throat as the wild mop of pale blond hair pokes his head around the corner to peek at me with wide blue eyes. Once he's certain it's me and that he's not in trouble, he grins broadly and comes running into my arms.

"Tata!" he beams excitedly. "Did you bring anything to eat?"

"Not yet, but soon," I promise as I press a kiss to his filthy cheek. "This nice lady is going to help us, and in return, we're going to find something nice to do for her."

View user profile

95 Re: Trigger Happy Jack on Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:32 am

Staring at the small child, I can feel my heart pounding in my chest. Drumming in my ears. The way he looks up at me hopefully, his gaze lingering on my misshapen face.

"I-" I start, surprised when my own voice comes out as I look at the blonde man before turning to the boy. Anything is better than Richard. "Your daddy's going to kill me so you can eat." I say firmly, my jaw set as I stare at the child seriously. "Your daddy's a mons-"

96 Re: Trigger Happy Jack on Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:49 am

"Enough!" I snap, Noll's eyes widening as he goes stiff in my arms. He shrinks to my side the moment I put him down, his fingers tangling in the fabric of my pants as he looks between Ljuba and I in confusion.

"Go to your room, Noll," I say gently.

"But tata, I'm hungry-," he starts before I snap at him, too.

"Go to your room!" I say loudly, his eyes widening as he runs back down the hall to his room and closes the door. Anger burns through me as I hear him crying on the other side of the door, and before I know what I'm doing, my hand whips out to slap the dark-haired woman across her face.

"He's a fucking child!" I snarl at her as I shove her back against the peeling wall. "I swear to god, if you say another thing like that in front of him, Braddock will be the least of your problems. You don't fuck with my son, do you understand?!"

View user profile

97 Re: Trigger Happy Jack on Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:56 am

"Fuck you," I snarl back, trying to seem as big as I can in my trembling state. Even my words are shaking as I press myself to the wall, narrowing my eye at him indignantly.

"He should know what a piece of scum you are."

98 Re: Trigger Happy Jack on Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:18 am

"I'll put the worst scum to shame if it puts food in my son's belly," I hiss in her face before shoving her roughly as I step away. "Open your mouth again, and you'll find out just how depraved I can be."

I keep a watchful eye on her as I go to the end of the hall, never letting Ljuba out of my sight as I do.

"Noll, you can come out now," I call toward the other end of the hall. His door remains shut, however, and I frown as I hear him continuing to sniffle in his room. "Noll?" I call again, the sound drawing me away from the dark-haired woman in spite of my better judgment.

"Hey," I whisper as I open Noll's door to find him curled up under his blanket in the middle of the floor, his toys arranged in a circle around him. He continues to pout and sniffle as I pick him up, his arms wrapping around me as I rock him gently. "C'mon, let's see if there's anything left to eat, huh?"

Noll is less than talkative as I carry him out into the kitchen with me, sparing only a glance toward Ljuba to ensure she's still there before I start searching through the empty cupboards. There's a packet of broth tucked away in the corner on the top shelf and a bag of rice with maybe a few spoonfuls left in it. I sigh at the meager dinner and get down a pan to fill it with water, Noll still clutching at my neck as I work one-handed to cook him something to eat.

Once it's done cooking, I put Noll down and gesture for him to go take a seat at the coffee table in the living room before I pour the majority of the rice and broth into a bowl for him. After that, I pour some of the broth into a bowl for me, hesitating as a small amount remains in the pan.

"Do you want some..?" I ask as I glance back at the woman in the living room. Please say no.

View user profile

99 Re: Trigger Happy Jack on Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:29 pm

My jaw tenses when he addresses me, my head turning just slightly as I glance at him over my shoulder. Marnin's bags are still clutched to my front as I pace the edges of the room, having tried every door and window I could when he disappeared in the the short time it took for him to go get his son. I'm ashamed of the awful thoughts I get in regards to the man and his child, fleeting ideas of ways I could turn the tables in my favor. 

Nothing I'm willing to do. 

I shake my head vaguely, continuing to pace the room with my back to him, avoiding the wary gaze of the young child on the floor.

100 Re: Trigger Happy Jack on Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:48 pm

I'm relieved by her refusal as I pour the remainder of the broth into my bowl and gather them up to head into the living room. Noll is shifting excitedly as I put his bowl down in front of him and then take a seat next to him. He's quick to dig in as he scoops a large spoonful into his mouth before glancing back at me and scooting closer so he can peer into my bowl. He frowns at the small amount of broth in it and tries to pick up his bowl to dump some of it into mine.

"No, no," I say quickly, helping him put it back on the table. "I'm fine, Noll. I'm not very hungry, okay? Just eat your supper."

"But that's just juice," he frowns, looking guiltily at the rice floating around in his own bowl.

"I'm okay, I promise," I smile at him, running my fingers through his crazy hair as I try to tame it down on his head. It doesn't work. "I had some rice on the road," I lie. "Now eat."

And he does, once he's content that I've eaten, too. Sighing, I sip at my broth as I watch him. There are circles under his eyes and he looks paler than normal - if that's possible with him being my son and all. I frown a bit as I touch his cheek, his tiny face pressing into my hand subconsciously. He feels cooler than normal. Glancing at Ljuba, I bite my lip uncomfortably.

"What do you have in those bags?" I ask, trying to sound stern, but there's a worry that comes through in my voice. "Any food? Or echostones??"

View user profile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 31]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17 ... 31  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum