When Worlds Fall

Sordid Nation 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Trigger Happy Jack II.V

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 9]

126 Re: Trigger Happy Jack II.V on Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:02 am

I look her over thoughtfully for a moment before nodding faintly as I sigh. "Let's get out of here," I say lightly as I finish off the smokie and turn toward the wall. Every cell in my body resists me as I pull up the strength for the spell that will create passage for us through the stone. I feel breathless the moment I've conjured the door, my chest heaving a bit as I wave for them to go through.

View user profile

127 Re: Trigger Happy Jack II.V on Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:12 am

I watch Cael tensely as he conjures the passageway for us, Jean stepping through ahead of me before I hurry ahead of Cael. I can feel a tightness in my chest as I see the door fade once he's through it, the city left on the other side as we make out way back to the van. I'm grateful Jean hasn't asked me again about the marriage I'm abandoning along with the Capitol, the guilt more than enough to leave me uneasy as we head from the city's walls. 

Turning to look Cael, he still looks sallow and unwell, which only adds to the feeling of anxiety pooling in the pit of my stomach.

View user profile http://sordidnations.forumotion.com

128 Re: Trigger Happy Jack II.V on Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:45 pm

The rest of the walk to the van is draining, to say the least. Removing the cloaking from it saps what's left of my strength, and Teagan is quick to hand me another smokie as I open the back door and gesture for her to climb in. I don't even hesitate to light it up this time, a few quick drags making me feel better almost instantly.

Still, by the time Jean has climbed into the driver's seat and gotten the van started, I've already curled up in the mountain of blankets and pillows with the intention of passing out. When the van jerks and grinds as Jean puts it into gear, I snap my head up to scowl at him in annoyance.

"Watch it!" I scold loudly. "That's my baby you're fucking with."

"Sorry, sorry!" he calls back sheepishly. I continue to frown at him until he manages to get us back on the road without another incident, my stomach knotting uncomfortably with the idea of someone else driving my van.

View user profile

129 Re: Trigger Happy Jack II.V on Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:12 pm

"Your van'll be fine, just relax." I frown at Cael as I settle behind the driver's seat in my regular spot, sifting through my bag as I busy myself organizing my new wares. I pull several of the smaller bags out to lay at my side as I glance up at Cael, his sallow complexion causing me to worry. 

"How are you feeling?"

130 Re: Trigger Happy Jack II.V on Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:23 pm

"I'm fine," I sigh heavily, sleep already threatening to take me as I tuck my arm under my pillow with a yawn. "So what'd you buy? Anything good?"

View user profile

131 Re: Trigger Happy Jack II.V on Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:35 pm

"Just stuff to restock with," I shrug, reaching over my bag to grab one of the small parcels before crawling over my bag towards him. I glance over my shoulder to see if Jean is paying us any attention before settling at Cael's side, looking him over apprehensively.

"And one other thing. For you."

132 Re: Trigger Happy Jack II.V on Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:36 pm

"Oh?" I ask as I raise an eyebrow in surprise. "Is it my birthday?"

View user profile

133 Re: Trigger Happy Jack II.V on Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:58 pm

I purse my lips at him seriously as I start to unravel the parcel. It took what was left of money I'd set aside for my goods, and I wound up having to skip several of the less important items on my list to get it. Still, I'm hesitant to give it to him.

"I saw this, and thought you might want to replace the one you have." I say, pulling the leather case out and handing it to him. "I don't encourage using it, but if you're going to, I'd rather it be something clean... Something I know is clean."

134 Re: Trigger Happy Jack II.V on Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:04 pm

My heart skips as I take the case and sit up on my elbow to open it, the shiny new syringe set making my eyes widen a bit. These aren't cheap... and she made it pretty clear she wasn't really comfortable letting me inject the echostone.

"Teag," I breathe quietly. "You didn't have to do this... I mean - thank you - but... are you sure?"

View user profile

135 Re: Trigger Happy Jack II.V on Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:19 pm

"You've been dealing with this longer than I have, and I shouldn't have dismissed your wishes so quickly. I'd love to find you a more reasonable method to maintain a healthy level, but..." I shrug as I sit back on my haunches, shifting to get off of my legs as I curl them at my front. 

"I have to trust you know your body."

136 Re: Trigger Happy Jack II.V on Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:25 pm

"Do you have any that's good for injecting..?" I ask hesitantly after a moment. "Now is as good a time as any for it, right?"

View user profile

137 Re: Trigger Happy Jack II.V on Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:39 pm

I withhold the frown tugging at my lips as I nod, twisting back to grab the strap of my bag as I tug it towards me. 

"I found some really good solvents at the shop I got that from." I say softly, pulling out a couple of the vials before handing them to him so he can pick one as I dig around for the baggy of echostones.

138 Re: Trigger Happy Jack II.V on Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:32 am

I look through the solvents feeling increasingly lost as I read the peculiar names off. I only recognize a handful of them from my own failed experimental efforts to distill my own echostones. I'd learned pretty quickly that I couldn't do it, and that the resource I had found to help me was not exactly reliable.

"What do you think is best?" I finally ask, trying not to sound too ignorant as I replace one of the vials.

View user profile

139 Re: Trigger Happy Jack II.V on Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:41 am

"Probably the one with the least stimulants." I say as I take the vials back and pick through them to find the one I'm looking for. "It'll let you get some rest."

Setting the vial near the leather kit, I replace the others and start the process of combining the various agents on a clean vial, getting everything ready so I can get to work on crushing the echo stones. It's the most tedious step in the whole process simply because the finer they're crushed, the better they react with the solvents - in turn resulting in a cleaner, easier to predict release in the body. Beyond that, it's simply a matter of proper measurements and the most suited stones.

"It's been a long time since you last did this, right?" I ask, glancing up at him as I grind at the stone with my mortar and pestle, "So be slow and careful, your body might not have the same tolerances."

140 Re: Trigger Happy Jack II.V on Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:43 am

"Yeah," I nod, fully aware of the need to lower the dose after so long off of it. "It doesn't help that it wasn't the best stuff the last time I did it... it took nearly a full syringe to get the effects I needed."

View user profile

141 Re: Trigger Happy Jack II.V on Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:46 am

"Don't take a full syringe," I frown as I shake my head, wincing at the scolding nature of my voice as I look back down to pour the powdered stone into the vial.

"Just- Do a bit at a time. It's better to need more than to... you know." I sigh, capping the vial and shaking it a bit as I hold it up to try and see in the dim light. Even in the dark, it shimmers and takes on a faint indigo glow as the reagents mix and combine. The glow fades as I hand it off to him, replacing the things that belong in my bag to shove back towards the driver's seat.

142 Re: Trigger Happy Jack II.V on Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:02 am

"I know," I say faintly, frowning up at her lightly as I take the vial from her. Even the glow of it is more intense than anything Becca had ever given me - I can almost feel the magic through the glass, seeping into my pores.

Sitting up a bit, I prop myself up on my pillows before preparing the syringe with a small amount of the glowing concoction. I can see Teagan relax visibly as I hold up the syringe to show her the tiny volume of liquid shimmering inside the glass and metal casing.

"Good?" I ask with a raised eyebrow, already grabbing the tourniquet in the leather case so I can tie it around my arm. My hands shake a bit as I feel at the crook of my elbow for the vein before I bring the needle to my skin. I always falter at this point, my palms sweaty and cold sweat breaking across my skin until I build up the courage to let the needle bite into my vein.

Once I've seen the flash of blood in the syringe, I let the tourniquet loose before pushing the substance into my vein. The effect is almost instant, my breath rushing past my lips in a relieved groan. I feel better. Were it not for Teagan's watchful gaze, I would let the syringe fall to the floor so I could sink back into the blankets and just fade. Somehow, though, I find the wherewithal to put the supplies back and even bandage the small spot of blood in the crook of my elbow before I let myself lie down.

"Thank you," I say faintly, my hand reaching out to tangle my fingers in hers.

View user profile

143 Re: Trigger Happy Jack II.V on Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:09 am

I squeeze his fingers lightly before pulling away, leaving him to relax as I stand awkwardly to walk towards the front. I step around and sink into the passenger seat, glancing over my shoulder to see Cael already nearly out. Frowning, I look back out the window with a sigh as I rest my forehead against the cold glass.

144 Re: Trigger Happy Jack II.V on Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:11 am

*Jean*

"You alright?" I ask with a faint frown as I glance over at Teagan.

View user profile

145 Re: Trigger Happy Jack II.V on Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:12 am

"Hmm?" I pick my head up to look back at Jean, shrugging as I shift in my seat.

"Yeah, I'm fine."

146 Re: Trigger Happy Jack II.V on Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:13 am

"We're leaving the Capitol," I point out quietly, glancing at her out of the corner of my eye as I try not to push the subject too much. "Are you okay with that..?"

View user profile

147 Re: Trigger Happy Jack II.V on Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:15 am

I can feel a twinge of anxiety tightening in my chest at the mention of it, and I look at him uncomfortably before looking back at the road.

"I haven't really thought it all out yet." I confess.

148 Re: Trigger Happy Jack II.V on Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:19 am

"Have you told... you know?" I say quietly, realizing that I don't know the man's name. "I thought maybe when you'd gone shopping.."

View user profile

149 Re: Trigger Happy Jack II.V on Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:30 am

"Who? Cael?" I look back at Jean before it dawns on me. "Oh, Harold. No... I didn't go see him. I really did need to restock my supplies. I only had enough of certain things to last me until the Capitol.

"No, I was supposed to meet him somewhere tomorrow, I believe. Or maybe the day after..? I've lost track of my days, quite honestly." I sigh, head resting back against the window.

150 Re: Trigger Happy Jack II.V on Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:35 am

"Do you think he'll be angry?" I ask with a faint frown. "Maybe you could call him or something?"

View user profile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum