When Worlds Fall

Sordid Nation 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

This is a Title.

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 18  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 18]

11 Re: This is a Title. on Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:25 pm

Taking the offered mask, I nod softly before humming a soft 'mm-hmm'. I don't love the prospect of being in debt, but being mute leaves me even further fucked than I was. A few days without the mask would give me time to rest, sort out my finances, and figure out where I stand for the next month or so. If I won't owe him what meager amount I've saved up, then maybe I can finally get some proper ingredients for my wares, or even a decent coat for the rainy weather.

View user profile http://sordidnations.forumotion.com

12 Re: This is a Title. on Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:27 pm

"Do you have a way for me to contact you if I have questions?" I ask as I grab a bin to put the mask in. "I know the wires won't work well, but if you have an address, I can send one of the little ones to send a message."

View user profile

13 Re: This is a Title. on Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:36 pm

I watch with a pained expression as he tucks my mask away, looking at him as I reach for the keyboard on the counter still. I notice the small puddle underneath it, frowning at the mess as he reaches up to offer me his hand. 

8-5 E D-O-W-N-I-N-G. He nods his understanding as he takes the keyboard to inspect, and I step back from the counter hesitantly. Pulling my gloves on, I right the mask to put on as I turn for the door, glancing back towards him as I swallow thickly. 

"-Ankoo." I wince at the harshness of it, the wet and ill-defined speech. Holding the mask to my face, I step out of the door and into the rain.

14 Re: This is a Title. on Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:24 pm

Two days pass, and the woman (whose name I completely neglected to collect) has left me to my work. Her mask, with all it's cheap and decaying leather and tarnished bronze, has been completely dismantled on my desk. I've done nothing that remotely resembles fixing it aside from drying the moisture that had collected inside of it. Even with the right motivation and skill, the circuit board for her keyboard is fried, and fixing the loose wiring would only be a bandaid fix before the entire unit failed her permanently.

I could replace the circuit board, true, but the artisan in me can't abide a young woman walking the streets in a mask that belongs in the history books alongside the war and ugliness that takes place on the earth below us. It's unseemly, and if Skycrest stands for anything, it's beauty and innovation - not gas masks turned gramophone.

Needless to say, it's with great pleasure that I drop the pieces of bronze into the melting pot in the back of the shop. I already have a broad idea of what I intend to do for the woman, the bare bones rough draft already fitted to an aged mannequin beside my desk, notes written in raised ink in a gibberish language only I can piece together beside it. The metal from her old mask is useless as far as functionality goes, but I'm sure I can get a few vanity pieces out of it to adorn the finished works.

It's a long and arduous task to shape the metal, sweat dripping off of my brow as I work. I barely notice the hair on the back of my hands singing off before I've moved on to the delicate task of assembling the fine clockwork and attaching it, fully functional, to the metallic lining of a collar while the vanity pieces cool. The gears and springs for this task are so small and thin, they're almost like fabric in the way that they flex and move together against the lining.

I can't see it, but I know that the tiny crystals I use to shape the vox unit glimmer in the light, each facet catching it and bending it into colors I can only begin to imagine. Far from done, I sit back and smile slightly at what I've accomplished so far. Even without my sight, I can appreciate the beauty of it, the pang of loss doing little to dampen my spirits as I wonder what it must look like. Most of what I make favors golds and bronzes with bright highlights of color from items that used to please my mother when I was growing up. It's a template I'm quick to fall back on for general purposes, but this isn't a general item that'll go up in the store.

Unable to proceed without more information, I get up from my workbench and grab my jacket off of the hook by the door. I know exactly where the woman's home can be found, and it's a small task to walk the few blocks in that direction, sight cane in hand to guide my way. When I knock on her door, it takes her a moment to answer - finding her mask, I conclude - before the door opens and I smile broadly.

"Hi," I say cheerfully. "What's your favorite color?"

View user profile

15 Re: This is a Title. on Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:17 pm

I'm still confused as he looks vacantly past me expecting an answer, clearing my throat uncomfortably as I step back and reach over to tug his sleeve so he knows to come in. I glance around the small apartment, grateful the man can't see it's cramped walls and cluttered surfaces, as I go to sit back on the bed. I haven't the slightest clue how I'm going to answer him, so instead I remove my mask and watch him.

16 Re: This is a Title. on Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:24 pm

I cock my head slightly as I step into the small apartment, my hands coming to rest atop my cane as I wait for her to answer. It takes me a second to remember that she can't before I take a deep breath and wince apologetically.

"Right, sorry," I say quickly as I reach into my pocket to pull out a small keyboard - not unsimilar to the one she had on her vox mask. "So you can communicate... but, uhm, it's sort of useless for use on the street. It just chimes when you push the buttons, but I'll at least recognize them."

View user profile

17 Re: This is a Title. on Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:27 pm

I rise onto my knees to take the keyboard, looking at it curiously as I glance towards him with a smile. 

"Thank you." I type, hesitating between words to ensure I'm not moving too quickly before looking up at him.

18 Re: This is a Title. on Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:31 pm

I smile lightly, bowing slightly as I nod toward her, my head cocking toward the musical chime of the keys. "You're very welcome," I acknowledge before pointing offhandedly toward the keyboard. "That's how I learned my ABC's right there, my mum made it just for that. So, you know, don't lose it."

View user profile

19 Re: This is a Title. on Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:39 pm

I nod quickly before realizing, yet again, the man can't see me.

"I won't." I type out, settling onto my bed as I look around the room a bit sadly. "No chairs, but you can sit on a pillow." I type a bit quickly, leaning over to grab a pillow and hold up towards him in offering.

20 Re: This is a Title. on Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:42 pm

"Thank you," I say as I hold a hand out, the back of my fingers brushing blindly over the pillow before I find it. I'm happy to take a seat on the floor nearby, my head tilting toward her again. "So you never did answer me. What's your favorite color? And do you prefer brown leather or red?"

View user profile

21 Re: This is a Title. on Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:44 pm

"Purple," I respond, my legs curling before me as I settle in with the keyboard. "And either." 

"Do you want something to drink?"

22 Re: This is a Title. on Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:49 pm

It's not the most ideal means of communication, the chiming keyboard taking time for the woman to spell out each word, and more time still for me to decode it.

"Sure," I nod after a moment. "I mean, usually I get a girl's name before accepting drinks in her home, but I suppose I can make an exception."

View user profile

23 Re: This is a Title. on Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:52 pm

I can't help but grin as I set the keyboard down, crawling over it and going to the small set up near the door. Just a few meager cabinets, one of which is a small fridge. Inside, bottles of water, with a few glass bottles of soda pop and juice tucked into the corner. 

I toy with the idea of trying to sound out the option, the loose form of water even wandering over my tongue before I grab all three and head back to the bed before setting them down to grab the keyboard.

"Water, soda, apple juice." I type out, glancing up at him, "Which."

24 Re: This is a Title. on Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:55 pm

"Soda, please," I nod before holding a hand out as she passes me the bottle. The pop of the cap is satisfying, the ridged metal biting into my palm as I twist it off. "I'm Marnin - or, if you're my neighbor, that asshole with that store."

View user profile

25 Re: This is a Title. on Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:58 pm

I grin a bit, dropping the water on the floor as I pick up the apple juice before my hand hovers over the keyboard.

"Its musical." I laugh softly, "I'm Ljuba."

26 Re: This is a Title. on Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:01 am

"I'm sorry-," I frown a bit, the bottle of soda pausing at my lips as I tilt my head again. "Jooba? L...j - what?"

View user profile

27 Re: This is a Title. on Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:05 am

"L. J. U. B. A." I type each letter slowly, waiting for him to nod his understanding before I go on. 

"Tricky j." I type, grinning as he tries to mouth it. 

"Loo-" I say weakly, "Loobae." I wince a bit, "Lewwbae."

28 Re: This is a Title. on Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:10 am

"Ah, okay," I nod in understanding, the gears in my head turning it over as new ideas come to mind. "I like that, actually. It's unique. Bet your old mask had a hard time with one, huh?"

View user profile

29 Re: This is a Title. on Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:11 am

"It said the J." I type with a slight sigh, opening my apple juice. "Tricky J."

30 Re: This is a Title. on Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:17 am

"Well, we'll have to fix that, hm?" I smile slightly as I hold my bottle up toward her.

View user profile

31 Re: This is a Title. on Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:27 am

"Yes," I nod, raising my bottle and leaning forward to tap it against his before sitting back. It's in these moments that I always find myself at a loss for words. Small talk is odd when you're having to slowly type out each word, and that's if anyone lingers long enough for you to reach the end of your sentence. 

"Your mom tinkered?" I find myself asking, my fingers tracing the keyboard curiously as I glance up at him, "Family?"

32 Re: This is a Title. on Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:33 am

"Whole family did," I nod as I take a long drink of the fizzy beverage. "My brother owns a shop in the artisan district - we don't talk much. I'm the wasted talent in the family, apparently. Noisemakers aren't practical, as if anything is practical in a city that floats in the sky... I could be an umbrella maker, I suppose... or parachutes..."

I mull that over for a moment, nodding thoughtfully before shrugging my shoulders dismissively.

"Other than that, nope, no other family," I smile lightly. "Just me and my doodads. You?"

View user profile

33 Re: This is a Title. on Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:37 am

"Wasted." I respond, hesitating over the already-typed word before continuing. "Trinkets. Baubles."

I set the keyboard down, twisting to grab a small stone from the window sill so I can stretch forward and hand it to him, humming towards him as I hold it out.

34 Re: This is a Title. on Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:45 am

I raise an eyebrow as I take the offered item, the cool touch of stone registering instantly as I turn it over in my hand. What she described as wasted makes my breath catch a little. Potential. That's what I see. An idea occurs to me as I bite my lip thoughtfully.

"Can I have some of your blood?" I blurt out, Ljuba's shock registering instantly as I shake my head quickly. "I mean for the mask! Not like - not to market or anything. I mean... I could tune it to you, to your magic. I could help you make these, but make them not... wasted?"

View user profile

35 Re: This is a Title. on Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:52 am

My smile fades as I tense a bit on the bed, watching him closely as I shake my head. 

"Not a good idea." I respond once I've pulled the keyboard into my lap. "Magic is-" I stop, my fingernails tapping against the keys as I try to find the right word. "Tricky."

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 18]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 18  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum