When Worlds Fall

Sordid Nation 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

This is a Title.

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Go down  Message [Page 15 of 18]

351 Re: This is a Title. on Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:30 am

"Oh, wow," I say with appreciation, looking over the cars as I linger near Marnin's side. "They sort of remind me of the cars my dad used to have when I was younger, only much nicer."

View user profile http://sordidnations.forumotion.com

352 Re: This is a Title. on Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:32 am

"Your dad liked cars?" I ask with curiosity as I continue toward the stairs leading downstairs.

View user profile

353 Re: This is a Title. on Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:36 am

"My dad likes whatever money can buy him," I laugh softly, "and cars are a bit more elegant than horse drawn carriages on long trips. I think he got his from one of the techs near Pallhagan who specialized in them.

"The rift between the crafts isn't nearly as bad on the ground as it is up here. It's not all that uncommon for witch families to own a tech's creations."

354 Re: This is a Title. on Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:41 am

"That's wild," I respond, unable to help the smile that twitches across my lips. "I wish it was more like that up here. It's so unusual to see anything from the two crafts mingled up here. I remember one of my teachers having an absolute fit because I came to school with a crystal one day. And the girl who gave it to me? Her dad and mine got into this ridiculous fight because he found a watch I'd given her. A watch."

View user profile

355 Re: This is a Title. on Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:44 am

"Oh, my," I frown, "I'd hate to think of what would happen if your dad caught me in your collar, then." I say with a bit of teasing.

356 Re: This is a Title. on Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:48 am

"My dad's a little more liberal in his views," I laugh as I pause at the foot of the stairs to turn the lights on. "He thought we were a cute couple. I think, more than anything, he just worried what kind of prejudice I'd face outside of the house. I already had a hard time given my handicap - the other techs couldn't understand why my parents didn't try to make something to allow me to see."

View user profile

357 Re: This is a Title. on Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:49 am

"Would you have wanted them to?" I ask, again without thinking. "You don't have to answer that, but... I am genuinely curious."

358 Re: This is a Title. on Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:54 am

"I didn't need them to," I respond evenly. "I mean, it would be neat, I guess? To see what everyone else can, to see colors for the first time... but I'm not handicapped like everyone thinks. I see things, in my own way. The other techs think I can't have a complete life without fixing what's broken though, and as a tech I'm all about fixing what's broken! But I also know that some things aren't broken, they just work differently than others. And I work just fine the way I am."

View user profile

359 Re: This is a Title. on Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:56 am

"Can't argue with that," I smile down at him as he leads the way down the stairs. "You do better work than most of the seeing techs I've come across, and you're not a prick about working across the crafts."

360 Re: This is a Title. on Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:04 am

"Thank you," I grin back at her as I pause for her to catch up before nodding around the room. "The music room," I explain as I let my fingers pluck across the strings of the cello sitting near the wall, my hand drifting toward the piano as we pass near that as well. "I like to come down here when I'm stuck on a project. Music helps me think."

I smile back at her as I pause near the door to the wine cellar and the mech room. "And there's the wine stash and the tinkering room. The proximity is probably less of a coincidence than you'd think. Nothing seems quite so genius as when you're drunk off your ass."

View user profile

361 Re: This is a Title. on Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:05 am

"Oh?" I smirk, sticking my head around the corner to peer at the impressive assortment of wines, "Isn't that a bit dangerous? All those moving parts and electrical currents?"

362 Re: This is a Title. on Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:18 am

"More than half a foot of concrete and steel between the two rooms," I smile as I pat the wall which doesn't give so much as a thud in its sturdiness. "The wine cellar is very well insulated. When this house ceases to exist, that stupid room will still be standing strong."

I nod for her to follow as I lead the way past the kitchen and into the area that has since turned into a gym area. It's probably the most worn out area of the house, the bags hanging from the rafters held together with duct tape in several places and other parts of the heavy canvass a hair's breadth away from being threadbare. Weights and rags and bandaging equipment litters the floor between benches and inclined seats, the whole area appearing far messier than I would have left it had I known I'd be showing her around the house.

"And this is the training area, obviously," I say absently, nodding toward the kitchen. "And the other kitchen. Mostly stuff for pre and post-workouts, and some other stuff that we don't need to get into. Then over here is Richard's gaming area! Pool, chess, domineering seating arrangements where he can scare his business associates in a casual setting, that sort of thing. You know, back when he was the boogeyman in training wheels."

View user profile

363 Re: This is a Title. on Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:22 am

I laugh as I look around the rooms curiously, my attention lingering on the gym equipment until he mentions domineering seating arrangements.

"Wait, so-" I grin, "I'm sorry, domineering seating arrangements?" I ask with a hearty laugh, "What's scary about it? I'm curious - show me!"

364 Re: This is a Title. on Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:29 am

"Oh god," I laugh, rolling my eyes as I nod and lead her into the sitting area. "I don't even know how to explain it, honestly. It's all in the presence. See here?" I say as I point out the chair Richard usually takes in the otherwise normal looking sitting area. "This stupid chair is at least three inches higher than the other chairs. Don't believe me? Go on! Sit down here, and then sit in the other chairs. Any of them, seriously.

"You sink when you sit in them," I say loudly as she does as I've instructed. "No matter where you sit, you're always shorter than him. And Richard is not a tall man, Lju. I hated sitting down here with him. He'd sit in this one like this," I take a seat, crossing my legs and straightening my back as I try to imitate Richard's formidable presence. "Well, maybe not like that, I don't know, I can't do it. There's a thing he does with his face, it's scary and... dickish."

View user profile

365 Re: This is a Title. on Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:31 am

I laugh at his imitation as I cross my legs, sinking seemingly further into the chair I've chosen as Marnin continues to make faces.

"Bleedin' hell, you're not scary at all." I chide, "You're telling me a man with your genes is able to be scary in that chair...? Are you sure he's not pulling your leg?"

366 Re: This is a Title. on Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:48 am

"I know, I'm too charming and handsome to pull it off," I sigh wistfully before grinning at Ljuba to let her know I'm not at all serious. "I'm not kidding, though. He once sat in this chair and convinced one of our classmates to dump his girlfriend so Richard could have her. And then he didn't even date the damn girl! He just wanted to see if he could manipulate the poor bastard.

"I couldn't even convince the guy to give me a ride to the carnival," I grumble under my breath. "And he was my friend."

View user profile

367 Re: This is a Title. on Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:58 am

"He sounds like a rubbish friend." I laugh, kicking my boots off as I tuck my legs into the chair with me. "And a horrid boyfriend, who just forfeits their girlfriend because some prick with a height complex asks him too?

"Your brother better be charming as hell, otherwise I'm going to be massively disappointed."

368 Re: This is a Title. on Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:03 am

"Ugh, nooo, you can't think that he's charming," I whine as I stretch my legs out in front of me, stretching in protest add I fight back a yawn. "He's the worst! I mean, not really, but ugh nooo. If you like him, he'll get all flirty and then I'll have to listen to him talk, and it's always just awful when he does that."

View user profile

369 Re: This is a Title. on Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:05 am

"I promise I'll pretend to be very disgusted by him, if you like." I offer, tucking my skirt around my legs as I tug my arms into the sleeves of my sweater, the basement air cool against my skin. "I can even laugh whenever he seems like he's trying to be intimidating.

"I once got one of my old boyfriends to dump me that way." I say with a nod, "You know... It was a bet and I couldn't dump him so I just made him think I was awful..." I say earnestly, though my words drift a bit as my expression pinches a bit. "Though, honestly, I was a bit awful..."

370 Re: This is a Title. on Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:11 am

"Oh lord," I groan, trying not to laugh too loudly. "You two will get along great then, I think. He loves shit like that. He doesn't really care about if it's awful, though... I'm glad you at least seem to."

View user profile

371 Re: This is a Title. on Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:14 am

"Well," I frown despite my laughter as I curl up in the seat, looking at Marnin a bit sheepishly, "I thought it was funny until I said it aloud to you, then it kind of dawned on me that it was really mean."

372 Re: This is a Title. on Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:19 am

"Eh," I shrug, still in good spirits as I smile at her. "No judgment, remember? I know you don't believe a word of it, and why should you? But all reminiscing and cockeyed innuendo aside, my brother truly is not a good man. But I still associate with him, even love him, because as bad as he is, I know there's good on there, too."

View user profile

373 Re: This is a Title. on Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:29 am

I nod at him, smiling hollowly as I pick at the hem of my sweater where it's stretched across my arms. 

"That's good of you," I say, "Something I've struggled to come to terms with myself is what makes a person good or bad. Is it something inherently there that we can't change, or is it just the interpretation others make of our choices and behaviors..?" 

Shrugging, I lean back, letting my head rest against the back of the chair as I look up at the rafters and exposed beams making up the ceiling of the basement. "Or is it entirely arbitrary? Changing from person to person, relationship to relationship. Could one person think you hung the moon while another thinks you've snuffed it out?"

I sigh heavily as I pick my head back up, stretching my legs back out onto the floor. "That was really good wine, by the way."

374 Re: This is a Title. on Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:43 am

"It is good, isn't it?" I smile softly aso i rest my chin in my hand as I listen to her. "It's an interesting question, too. What's good and what's evil... it's all very subjective, isn't it? I could go after a guy who makes his living kidnapping and selling kids and women, who uses Skycrest as his own personal slave transport from port to port.

"You ask all those people that I might save going after that man, and they'll tell you that I'm a hero, one of the good guys," I frown a bit, my chest heaving with a heavy sigh. "But you ask the man's three kids and his wife? I'm the monster that killed their daddy, stole a husband from them, and put them in the poor house.

"Are their lives and their grief worth any less or any more than those of the people I just saved?" I ask seriously. "How many other lives did I effect by jilting them? By Robbing them of such an important figure in their lives?

"Those are judgments only God can weigh against me," I say softly. "All I can do is pray for guidance, ask forgiveness for what I get wrong, and then do what I think is right. Because doing nothing could be so much worse."

View user profile

375 Re: This is a Title. on Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:47 am

"I think I want you to explain all of my existential crises for me, will you?" I grin a bit as I watch him, shifting to the edge of the chair as I grab my boots and hold them by the laces. "You make it sound so much more charming than the reality of it.

"You make the dichotomy of good and bad sound admirable, at least with that analogy."

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 15 of 18]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum