When Worlds Fall

Sordid Nation 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

This is a Title.

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 45 ... 88  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 88]

6 Re: This is a Title. on Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:33 pm

I can feel my face twisting with annoyance and confusion as I hear the heavy clunk of leather and metal on the counter, the insistent tapping on what I assume is a speaker doing little to enlighten me to the woman's request. My hands slip from the counter as I stare vacantly, my head cocking a bit as I try to figure out what, "Mm!" is supposed to mean.

"Ma'am, you're going to have to be a little more articulate," I say flatly, trying my best not to let my nose crinkle up visibly at the smell issuing from the helmet she's put on the counter. "I can't see what you're pointing to, and I'm not touching anything until I know what it is. Safety first, you know - Tech's First Rule."

View user profile

7 Re: This is a Title. on Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:40 pm

My fists clench in annoyance as I tap incessantly on the counter before pulling another clean rag from my pocket, wiping at my face. My heart is pounding as I lean forward to grab at his sleeve, tugging his arm upright as I wrap my hand around the back of his. Before I can convince myself otherwise, I lean forward and pull his hand against my jaw with as much strength as I can muster, pressing it into the hollow as I huff at him. I hum and whine, the vibrations ringing through his hand as loudly as I can make them as I will him to understand. 

I release his hand as he jerks it away from me. At this point, angry tears are welling in my eyes as I push the broken vox machine towards him.

View user profile http://sordidnations.forumotion.com

8 Re: This is a Title. on Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:53 pm

Clarity hits me hard, bringing with it a wave of inspiration that I'm sure lights up my face with understanding and eagerness as I nod quickly. My hand still tingles with the vibration from her humming, the words she'd tried to form resonating up my arm, searching for a way to translate into something audible.

"Ah," I say simply, now more than happy to touch the device she's shoved toward me. "Well, that's an easy enough fix. What kind of device are you using here? Can you show me how it works?"

I'm already horribly unimpressed with what she's put in front of me, my fingers tracing the edge of an unsightly mask, complete with a large sonophone bell to direct sound out from the side. I'm more offended by the hideous device than I am from having my hand pressed against the damp disfigurement of her jaw, it's lack of subtlety bringing a frown to my lips.

View user profile

9 Re: This is a Title. on Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:02 pm

I frown slightly as I tuck the rag into my pocket to pick up the keyboard, clicking pointlessly at the keys before holding it up towards him. I watch him tensely as he sets my mask down to turn his attention to the keyboard, reaching for it despite my reluctance to let it go. If he takes it and begins to work on it, I'll never get it back without paying for it. It's not something I'm ready to do, even if it is broken. 

More gently this time, I reach for his hand, waiting for his permission before I drag it across the keyboard. I can feel his hand relax a bit, understanding my intentions as I guide his fingers over the letters. C-O-S-T.

View user profile http://sordidnations.forumotion.com

10 Re: This is a Title. on Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:16 pm

"Hmm," I hum at the question, taking the keyboard from her gently so I can click at the keys and touch the wires coming from it. It only takes a few keystrokes for me to pinpoint the issue, and I'm able to come up with a quick estimate on the spot. But the words don't make it past my lips as I continue to tinker with it for a moment, pretending to troubleshoot as I listen to the woman.

Her anxiety is palpable, her gaze darting toward the front of the store occasionally. Keeping an eye out for any potential onlookers. She's self-conscious, that much is obvious. I suppose I would be, too, if I had any concept of physical appearance. It's not a big leap to tell she's probably not the most well off, either, given she's missing half of her jaw - and no amount of money could convince me that this monstrosity in my hands can articulate well enough for her to use the magic that would keep her from poverty in this city.

"I'll tell you what," I say finally as I offer her the keyboard again so I can dig around under the counter for another mask. It doesn't do what she needs, but it will at least spare her vanity in the meantime. "Why don't you give me a few days with it, and once I've come up with a solution, we can work something out? Don't worry about coin. For projects like this, I find it's much more lucrative for both of us if we work on trade, if that's alright with you?"

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 88]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 45 ... 88  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum