When Worlds Fall

Sordid Nation 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

This is a Title.

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11 ... 18  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 18]

76 Re: This is a Title. on Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:13 pm

"Hold still," I scold lightly as I move behind Ljuba to fasten the collar, her hand coming up to touch the collar before I've had a chance to make my adjustments. Pulling a small multitool from my pocket, I make a few snips and pull a few grommets and laces here and there until it fits just right before coming back around in front of her.

"Hum for me?" I instruct as I fidget at the small nobs affixed to the front of the collar, the tiny tool in my hand unlocking them so I can adjust the drum inside to match the vibration from her throat. "There; how does that feel?"

View user profile

77 Re: This is a Title. on Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:11 pm

The weight of the collar silences me for a moment as I look down at it, glancing up to Marnin as I shrug. I can tell my nonverbal response isn't what he was looking for, and I sigh before swallowing thickly. I don't know what I'm expecting to happen, but I'm nervous.

"Heavy." I say roughly, my eyes widening as the more melodic voice of the vox mixes with my own. The echo leaves something to be desired, but it spoke. My jaw (well, what's left of it) hangs open as I look down at the collar, my heart racing with excitement. "It talks. I can talk."

View user profile http://sordidnations.forumotion.com

78 Re: This is a Title. on Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:14 pm

"Here," I grin at her excitement as I grab the mask, helping to secure it as she puts it on. My fingers brush across her cheek gently as I check the fit, pleased with how close I'd gotten it without being able to size it appropriately. "It'll wear in and fit better as you use it. Give it a try now?"

View user profile

79 Re: This is a Title. on Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:26 pm

I shake my head for a moment, unsure of what to say now that I've got the ability. 

"Uhm, my name is Loobah." I say, my own voice hidden entirely as the new vox unit speaks for me. Still, I can't help frowning a bit as I look at Marnin. "Loobah. That's not right."

80 Re: This is a Title. on Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:30 pm

"Lewbae?" I frown a bit, my head cocking to the side. "I programmed it in the way you spelled it, didn't I?"

View user profile

81 Re: This is a Title. on Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:37 pm

"No, but it's an odd name." I say, the voice relaying my words still leaving me a bit giddy in spite of the name oversight. "And it's hard to explain through beeps." 

I step away from Marnin as I go to face the mirror near my bed, inspecting the unit it it's entirety as I let my fingers trace over the stitching appreciatively. 

"The J, it's odd. Like a Y, almost. It's all in the mouth, so it's nearly impossible for me to say now... I sound like a nomad!" I grin, glancing towards him. "How did you do this? This is incredible."

82 Re: This is a Title. on Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:48 pm

It takes me a moment to respond as I stand vacantly in the center of the room, silently trying to work out how the name should sound in my head. It's a project I'll have to work on in the future, I think.

"Trade secrets," I smile after a moment before shrugging. "There's a drum that picks up on the vibrations in your throat which alters the pressures in the oil system and triggers the circuits in the vox unit - sort of similar to how a stethoscope picks up on a heartbeat or how the inner ear translates sounds based on pressures. I'd tinkered with just doing an amplifier system, but this seemed more elegant and didn't have the same articulation issues an amplifier system would have.

"The voice itself belonged to a mecha-witch that was a popular street performer back in the first era," I add off-handedly. "Just because she had a nice voice, and it's a bit of history, you know? She was one of the first to be executed when the divide started to crack between the crafts."

View user profile

83 Re: This is a Title. on Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:00 pm

I nod as I look back in the mirror, turning a bit so I can see the various angles of the unit. My breath catches as I find the intricately etched bee on the shoulder, leaning closer to the mirror so I can look at it fondly. 

"You put a bee," I say, my eyes watering as a bit of sniffling gives away the emotion growing at the discovery.

84 Re: This is a Title. on Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:45 pm

"Is that a good sniffle or..?" I ask hesitantly as I recall the considerable influence the insect had had on the units overall design, front the etching in the shoulderpad to the bronze emblem on the chest to the honeycomb pattern hidden throughout.

View user profile

85 Re: This is a Title. on Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:47 pm

"I love it," I nod, turning to Marnin as I catch him in a tight hug.

86 Re: This is a Title. on Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:51 pm

"Oh good," I breathe with a sigh of relief, laughing awkwardly as I return the hug with a grin. "I was really worried I'd ruined some family heirloom or something when I cannibalized that other thing you called a mask. That's one of the reasons I melted it down and used at least some of the materials from it in the detail pieces on this one... it wasn't an heirloom or something, was it?" I ask a little more hesitantly, still not sure how she'd take the news that I'd destroyed it.

View user profile

87 Re: This is a Title. on Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:52 pm

"No," I scoff slightly, turning back to the mirror to admire the collar. "It was the only thing I could afford. This is so much better. I don't know how I can repay you for this."

88 Re: This is a Title. on Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:58 pm

"Your eternal and undying gratitude is always good," I tease with a smile before shrugging. "I'm not terribly concerned about it just now, so don't worry. You take care of yourself, and whenever you have the extra time or goods, just bring it in my direction. Or, you know, if you're ever feeling adventurous, I love experimenting. I think together we could make some interesting pieces that might fetch us some good coin."

View user profile

89 Re: This is a Title. on Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:09 pm

"Of course," I respond with a smile, stepping away from the mirror and turning back towards Marnin. I'm beaming underneath the mask, beyond pleased with the work he's managed to do. 

"Actually, I'd gotten some things today - I was going to have breakfast cooked for you tomorrow. It's only a small token considering how much I owe you for this, but it's the most I can offer right now."

90 Re: This is a Title. on Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:12 pm

"Ooh," I light up at the mention of food, nodding quickly. "That sounds wonderful! I'm notoriously bad about forgetting to eat when I'm working, so I'm famished. I can swing back by around mid morning, if that works?"

View user profile

91 Re: This is a Title. on Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:17 pm

"Of course," I nod, "Or whenever, just whenever you want. The kolaches should take a bit over an hour but everything else will go quick. Just let me know when to plan for it?"

I go towards the small kitchenette in the corner, ducking to look into the fridge to ensure I hadn't miraculously forgotten something. 

"And if you take anything special in your tea? I don't have much for it, I drink it plain."

92 Re: This is a Title. on Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:23 pm

"Plain is perfect," I smile as I grab the bag I'd tossed to the floor so I can pull out the kit of tools I'd put together for her collar. "This is for adjustments, if you need them. But don't tinker with anything until I've had a chance to show you what's what.

"Anyway, as far as food..." I tilt my head thoughtfully before shrugging. "I don't know, whenever is good for me. I'll be honest, I'd be happy to eat now, if you're not opposed, because chances are I'll sleep through my alarms in the morning."

View user profile

93 Re: This is a Title. on Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:45 pm

"That works," I nod, "I have to make the dough and let it rise, but we're so high it shouldn't take long at all. If you want, just make yourself comfortable." I say, pulling out everything I need for the dough before piling it onto the counter. 

"Here, let me help you settle in." I frown as I step over, picking up some of my own clutter as I catch his arm to guide him towards the bed. "It's a bit of a mess, I don't want you to trip."

94 Re: This is a Title. on Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:50 pm

"Have you seen my store?" I ask with a chuckle despite allowing her to guide me to the edge of the bed. It takes me a moment to orient myself after being guided to another part of the room, my hand going down to find the mattress before I take a seat amidst the mess of pillows and blankets.

"This is nice," I comment with a nod, my hand feeling across the different fabrics as I acclimate to the new position. "You're sure you don't mind me in your bed, though? I don't mind sitting on the floor."

View user profile

95 Re: This is a Title. on Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:04 pm

"It's just a bed," I laugh as I head back to the kitchen, "There is a chair over here by the stove, but it's under a mountain of papers and crap that I just don't have a spot for. It's not very comfortable, either."

Getting started on the dough, I busy myself with the prep work as I rest against the counter comfortably. 

"There's a radio on the window sill, if you'd like something to listen to. I'm not usually up this late, so I'm not sure what's on the story channels."

96 Re: This is a Title. on Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:08 pm

"Nothing good, unfortunately," I say as I reach back to fumble for the radio. "Some of the better stations turn into adult radio near midnight. That's always entertaining to listen to."

View user profile

97 Re: This is a Title. on Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:11 pm

"Can't say I've ever listened to that." I respond slowly, pretending to be distracted as I measure out some water for the yeast before setting it aside and moving on to the next bit. 

"Maybe just some music, though? Background noise, nothing too distracting."

98 Re: This is a Title. on Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:13 pm

"Well, yeah," I laugh as I flip through the stations for a decent one. "I wasn't about to put some comical sex sounds on in some stranger's house. I might get kicked out before you have a chance to feed me!"

View user profile

99 Re: This is a Title. on Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:29 pm

"Right," I laugh a bit awkwardly, measuring out the dry ingredients before setting them aside to turn my attention to the sauce pan on the stove. "Sorry, of course."

Mixing in milk, sugar, and butter, I thumb through the other ingredients on the counter as I start the spoon lazily stirring before walking away, the spoon's motion never ceasing as I get the bowl of dried ingredients ready to be mixed. 

"You know, I had the hardest time finding some of this stuff. I've gotten so used to the readymades and the street carts, I don't think I ever realized how different the foods are here in Skycrest. Like dairy, for instance. I don't think it ever occurred to me that things like milk or butter would be so much more expensive here."

100 Re: This is a Title. on Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:18 pm

"It's hard to house the livestock for it," I nod as I sniff at the air curiously. "Now it's usually just the folks like my brother who have those exotic little treats, or the airship engineers who come and go whenever they like. Personally, I never did much shopping on the surface - I always got too landsick to enjoy it."

View user profile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 18]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11 ... 18  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum