When Worlds Fall

Sordid Nation 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Where Truth Lies

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 13]

16 Re: Where Truth Lies on Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:21 am

"Make him smile," I say stiffly as I return to give her the mask. "If you can do that, I'll find you another job. But for now, that's your priority.

"As for your friends?" I sigh as I take a seat again, my gaze wandering around the filthy apartment with a distasteful frown. "Well, I just hope there were no towns below us last night."

View user profile

17 Re: Where Truth Lies on Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:24 am

I take the mask from him warily, looking down at it uncertainly before putting it on. My fingers trace the outlines of it for a moment before I place both hands around the thermos.

"Why..?" I press on, "I mean... Not the below us thing, but... Why?"

View user profile http://sordidnations.forumotion.com

18 Re: Where Truth Lies on Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:34 am

"My brother hasn't been sober in two weeks," I say simply as I pull a thing of cigarettes from my pocket, not bothering to ask if I can light one up in her apartment. "Has hardly bothered to visit that obnoxious shop of his. And much as I love visiting my childhood home, I rather miss sleeping in my own bed and not having a drug addict try to clock me every time I pick him up off of the floor. It's... messy. I don't like messy."

View user profile

19 Re: Where Truth Lies on Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:55 am

I nod weakly, emotion threatening me again as I wipe at my cheek and stare at the thermos evasively. 

"What do I tell him..?"

20 Re: Where Truth Lies on Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:02 am

"You'll figure it out," I shrug as I watch her thoughtfully. "He's met with you only a handful of times, and already he seems taken with you. That can only mean there is some cleverness to you that I've only glimpsed.

"Tell him you fell ill," I offer blandly. "That you got caught up with your work. Whatever it takes to convince him that I didn't scare you off. Or, more importantly, that he didn't."

View user profile

21 Re: Where Truth Lies on Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:17 am

"He's not stupid," I breathe softly, putting the thermos on the window sill as I shove the blankets away from my legs as I begin to get uncomfortably hot. I can't seem to sit still as I pull the sleeves of my sweater up, adjusting my collar anxiously. 

"He'll know I'm lying before I even try."

22 Re: Where Truth Lies on Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:21 am

"You're right, he will," I nod as I light my cigarette and take a long drag from it. "So you better sell it, or make him too happy to care. He'll be waking up in a couple of hours, which gives you time to bathe and clean something before catching him in between trips. I'd rather you didn't wait until tomorrow."

View user profile

23 Re: Where Truth Lies on Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:32 am

"What?" I look up at him desperately, "Today?

"I- I can't go that far." I whine softly, "I haven't slept in days, I hurt everywhere. I can't walk that-" I inhale unsteadily as I force myself to hold the breath, letting it out slowly. 

"I know you don't care," I cry quietly as I try to steady my breathing, a hand resting against my chest as though guiding it's rising and falling, "But I've been really sick, and I'm scared, so I need you to-"

I falter as I reach down to brush my fingers against the photographs again, a sob breaking what little composure I had, "Promise me they're safe." I say, "I need to hear it, please."

24 Re: Where Truth Lies on Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:39 am

My teeth clench together as she speaks before I finally let out a sigh as my expression softens. "They're fine," I say with what gentleness I can muster. Normally, I wouldn't have any to spare, but the past two weeks has left more than just one person tired and off of their game. 

"I've already sent people to check in on them," I offer with a little more composure as I get to my feet to start toward the door. "Take the evening. Get yourself cleaned up, make your teas, eat something... I'll have someone stop in with everything you need. But I'm leaving Marnie's in the morning. I expect you to be there to take my place."

View user profile

25 Re: Where Truth Lies on Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:45 am

"Wait-" I rasp as I struggle up onto my knees in an attempt to stand. I don't want to be left alone, but I know he's not the person to be looking to for sympathy. Still, the thought of the door closing behind him and leaving me isolated is enough to bring out the strangled plea for him to stay.

"I'll go, but please... Wait."

26 Re: Where Truth Lies on Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:47 am

I look back at her with no small amount of dread and distaste as I take another long drag from my cigarette before flicking it down the hall. 

"Why?"

View user profile

27 Re: Where Truth Lies on Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:56 am

I let out a long breath as I force myself to stand, holding onto the wall for support as I watch him linger in the door. 

"That stuff you brought?" I say as I reach back to get the thermos, my heart racing at the threat of being left. "It's just moppy, but I take more than that. Stuff for my mind, and for seizures, and- And I don't have any of that... So, if you could just stay with me, I'll hurry, I will."

28 Re: Where Truth Lies on Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:00 am

I continue to watch her with a sideways look, my lips pressing together. Glancing down at my watch, I let out a sigh of exasperation before nodding as I gesture for her to come closer.

"Alright, but you're taking a bloody bath!" I say sternly. "You smell like withdrawal sweats and it's disgusting."

View user profile

29 Re: Where Truth Lies on Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:02 am

"Thank you," I breathe, hugging the thermos to my front as I step off of the mattress and towards the door.

30 Re: Where Truth Lies on Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:06 am

"King of the fucking underworld, and I'm bathing junkies," I grumble under my breath as I grab a towel that still looks somewhat clean. I continue to grouse quietly to myself as I guide her down the hall toward the washroom where a small child is busy playing in the sink.

"Get out," I snap, startling the child as I stand by the door and wait for him to scurry away so I can close it and lock it. "We need to find you more suitable accommodations if I'm going to be coming to see you."

View user profile

31 Re: Where Truth Lies on Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:10 am

I ignore his remark as I move to cut on the shower, tugging at the quick release of my collar and pulling it off along with the mask before turning back to set it on the bench near the sink. I can't even look at him as I turn to face the shower, reaching in to feel if it's a comfortable temperature before glancing back at him pleadingly with my good eye.

"Around," I manage to (somewhat) say, gesturing with my finger for him to spit as I hold at the edge of my sweater.

32 Re: Where Truth Lies on Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:12 am

I raise an eyebrow at the request, momentarily considering refusal before I sigh and turn to face the other way. If anyone besides Marnin had brought her to my attention...

"Are you able to tell when a seizure is imminent?" I ask over my shoulder, my hands tucking into my pockets as I feel for what spell components I might have that could be of use in such an event.

View user profile

33 Re: Where Truth Lies on Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:15 am

"No." I respond curtly, tugging my sweater off and dropping it to the floor before wiggling out of my pants and stepping quickly into the shower to tug the door behind me. I'm grateful for the thickly frosted glass, complete with soap scum and age to really opaque it.

34 Re: Where Truth Lies on Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:26 am

"Well, don't drown," I call into the shower with a scowl as I turn around (and most definitely not trying to catch a peek through the glass). "My suit costs more than this whole building - I'm not getting it wet to save you."

View user profile

35 Re: Where Truth Lies on Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:40 am

I ignore him as I stand under the stream of intermittently warm water, setting to work washing my hair and scrubbing myself as best as I can with the knowledge of the man just outside the door. 

With my fingers tangled in my hair, my nose pinches as I notice a particularly odd aroma, one that threatens to turn my stomach as I piece together it's familiarity. Letting out a low whine, I slap my hand against the door just before I feel my body seize painfully, my eyes rolling back as my consciousness is overtaken by a violent storm of convulsions.

36 Re: Where Truth Lies on Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:51 am

"You okay..?" I ask hesitantly, a low groan building in my chest as I hear her hit the floor inside the shower. "God damn it! What did I say?!" 

I yank the shower door open, scrambling to grab hold of one of her flailing arms so I can pull her out. Unfortunately, she's seizing and flailing too violently to give me any kind of safe purchase. Cursing loudly, I stand up just enough to shuck my jacket before climbing haphazardly into the shower with her.

I grit my teeth as I feel the water already pooling and sloshing in my expensive shoes while I try to find a good way to wrap my arms around her. There's nothing graceful about this predicament as I lose my footing and slip, falling ass first back against the wall with her halfway in my arms. Still, it seems to work out as I slip down into a seated position while keeping a hold around her chest, my hand managing to catch her arms to hold them down so she doesn't bang them on the walls any more than she already has.

It's a miserable few minutes as her convulsions seem to thin and even out before stopping all-together, leaving me sitting - drenched and grumpy - in the bottom of the shower with her limp body in my arms. I keep reminding myself that I'm the one who insisted she bathe, but it's little consolation as I remind myself of the long walk back to Marnin's. The long walk I'll be making in my dripping, sloshing suit.

View user profile

37 Re: Where Truth Lies on Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:03 am

The haze of the moppy has started to stretch across my limbs as my eyes open up to my bedding and the cracked plaster of the wall in my apartment, my drugged state leaving me only slightly calmer than normal. My body aches heavily as I twist onto my back, and I'm confused when I hear the irritated rambling of a phone conversation in the room. And water dripping..?

I look over to see Richard standing over my sink, wringing his dress shirt out over the sink while an electric voices buzzes out of the speaker of his phone. Whatever they're saying, I have trouble understanding, but it doesn't go over well with Richard at all. 

"Ah," I groan uncomfortably, unable to offer much more without my collar but wanting it to be known that I'm awake and able to hear whatever it is they're discussing. Just the act of making noise sends my head reeling, though, and I can't help but cry as I cradle it tiredly.

38 Re: Where Truth Lies on Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:13 am

"Just - bring the car," I snap into the phone after glancing at Ljuba distractedly. Hanging up the phone, I frown toward her, more than a little aware of the fact that I'm standing before her - yet again - in little more than my underwear.

"You had a seizure," I say as I drop my shirt in defeat on the edge of the sink before coming over to stand next to her bed. There isn't much conviction in my voice, but I can't help but scold her anyway. "After I expressly told you not to. If it weren't completely outside of your control, I'd be furious, but since it is..."

I sigh heavily as I grab the thermos off of the floor by her bed and take a swig of it before offering it to her. "How're you feeling?"

View user profile

39 Re: Where Truth Lies on Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:11 pm

"Like a bruise," I say breathily, shoving at the bed to try and sit up as I wave my hand at the thermos. I need to get oriented before I worry with anything else. I can feel the familiar sting of panic as I try to sort out what has happened, but I'm grateful for the lack of tears as I look up at Richard curiously. Why are his clothes wet, and why is he in my apartment still..?

"Why are you... Soaked?" I frown, the blanket draped across me slipping as I manage to sit upright, shock registering as I scramble to pull it back up over my nudity. "We were talking," I say to myself weakly, "And you were leaving- How long has it been..?"

40 Re: Where Truth Lies on Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:23 pm

"Half an hour, forty-five minutes?" I offer with a shrug as I take a seat on the chair again. "You asked me to stay. We went to get you cleaned up, and then you had a seizure in the shower."

I hesitate as I stare at her nudity... her confusion. "I know how this might look," I say slowly. "But I didn't rape you..."

View user profile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 13]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum