When Worlds Fall

Sordid Nation 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Backslide and New Associates

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13 ... 17  Next

Go down  Message [Page 9 of 17]

201Backslide and New Associates - Page 9 Empty Re: Backslide and New Associates on Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:45 am

"Yeah," I respond dully, the water sloshing around me as I move into a more comfortable spot. "I guess I'm a little fucked up."

View user profile

202Backslide and New Associates - Page 9 Empty Re: Backslide and New Associates on Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:55 am

Sighing sadly, I slide off of the counter and step over to the tub, killing the lights on my way. My hand brushes against his shoulder as I kneel down, squatting somewhat awkwardly at the side of the bath.

"You're not fucked up," I say softly, my arms resting against the tub as I rest against it more comfortably, "You're just not in a good place right now, and whatever you're coming off of isn't helping." I frown, reaching up to run a hand across his cheek, my shoulders sagging a bit at the tired way his cheeks seem to sag in the glow from the bedroom. 

"I'm going to go get you that broth and toast, okay..? Wash up, I'll help you get out when I get back - so wait. If you fall, I won't be able to pick you up and I ran that nurse off saying I could handle it. Don't make me eat my words?" I say with a light heartedness, hoping it'll be enough as my touch lingers before dropping back to his shoulder. 

"I won't let you be alone until you're ready, okay? I promise that, Marn." I add, leaning over slightly to kiss the damp skin on his arm.

View user profile http://sordidnations.forumotion.com

203Backslide and New Associates - Page 9 Empty Re: Backslide and New Associates on Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:50 pm

*Lavellan*

The day hasn't technically ended. I keep telling myself this on the trip back to Marnin's with a basket of medications and other potions packed neatly under one arm. After dealing with Richard and Jonathan and the inevitable disaster that followed leaving them alone together while Richard was in one of his moods, most of the day had been burned away. And I still had my rounds to make within the guild.

But I haven't been to bed yet, I insist to myself as I glance down at my watch to read six minutes til five. The sun isn't due to come up for another hour, at least.

Sighing, I abandon my weak train of justification and fall back on hoping Ljuba's condition isn't serious enough that waiting a few hours will prove detrimental to her health. Seeing the lights on in Marnin's house doesn't really do anything to confirm my fears one way or another, so I simply let them go entirely as I make my way around to the sunroom where I can let myself in without having to knock.

View user profile

204Backslide and New Associates - Page 9 Empty Re: Backslide and New Associates on Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:59 pm

After fixing a small and modest dinner for Marnin, it wasn't long before he'd crawled back into the bed to sleep. There was a longing in the way he'd linger sitting up, as though waiting for me to crawl in beside him before he'd sleep, but I wouldn't. I couldn't.

Instead, I sat at his bedside, his hand in mine, while we talked until he finally fell asleep. The conversation never reached the level it'd been before dinner, instead it wandered aimlessly. What we'd been up to since the last time I was here, and his grand plans to cook me a dinner for Morndas so he could salvage our plans. When he'd finally fallen asleep, I pried my fingers from his and headed back downstairs, straight for the kitchen. 

I'd left a mess from both the soup and the small dinner I'd fixed, and thought what better time than now to clean it up. It was simple work, but tedious. Trying to make sure everything found it's way back to it's proper place took longer than anything else, and I'd reached the point where staying awake would make more sense than going to bed anytime soon. Besides, I had to wait for Lavellan to get here with my medicine, or the morning would be a long one. 

I wander around the first floor of Marnin's home, able to finally explore it alone for the first time as my hands brush over various items and inspect pictures and books. I'm half way through the dining room when I think I head the sound of a door opening behind me, and I step towards the foyer hesitantly before relaxing as I see Lavellan coming through the sunroom.

"I was starting to think you'd forgotten us." I say softly, stepping towards him to take the basket gratefully.

205Backslide and New Associates - Page 9 Empty Re: Backslide and New Associates on Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:10 pm

"If only," I respond wistfully as I continue past her to help myself to something to drink. "Do you ever just want to stand back and watch it all burn down around you?"

Pouring a glass of tea, I let out a tired sigh as I look back at her. "How's he doing?"

View user profile

206Backslide and New Associates - Page 9 Empty Re: Backslide and New Associates on Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:15 pm

"He's asleep." I say, following him towards the kitchen so I can fix a bit of tea for myself. 

"Depressed, exhausted, but... He's fine, all things considered." I add, "He'll be better tomorrow."

207Backslide and New Associates - Page 9 Empty Re: Backslide and New Associates on Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:18 pm

"Did he say what Richard did this time?" I ask as I step out of the way so she can get her tea while I lean against the counter. "I tried talking to him, but he's absolutely convinced he was just being supportive."

View user profile

208Backslide and New Associates - Page 9 Empty Re: Backslide and New Associates on Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:28 pm

"Something about hiring someone at the shop?" I frown, glancing back at him, "And I think something about their mother, but Marn's not usually very upfront where she's concerned."

I get some water on to boil, grabbing one of the bottles of moppy tea concoctions before hopping up to sit cross-legged on the counter near the stove. 

"Ah, that's what it was - Richard was trying to free up time so Marnin could spend it with me," I nod with an annoyed smile, "So does Richard hand pick all of his brother's lovers?"

209Backslide and New Associates - Page 9 Empty Re: Backslide and New Associates on Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:37 pm

"Richard hand picks everything that happens through his brother's life," I respond with a scoff, my eyes rolling before I can stop them. "And that's the root of every issue they've ever had.

"Marn deserves a little more credit, though," I add as I take a sip of my tea. "Not recently, but before... he didn't used to get so bothered by it. Had his own secret little life that Richard still doesn't know about, But after the shit with their mother, I think he put a lid on it and he's been having a harder time of things. Damn shame, too. He was entertaining back then."

View user profile

210Backslide and New Associates - Page 9 Empty Re: Backslide and New Associates on Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:40 pm

"What do you mean, secret life..?" I ask with a curious look, opening my moppy and sniffing it absently before looking back at Lavellan.

211Backslide and New Associates - Page 9 Empty Re: Backslide and New Associates on Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:46 pm

"He was the boogeyman to Richard's... well, boogeyman," I laugh as I glance over at her with an amused smirk. "Guild couldn't take two steps in this city without getting cockblocked by the mysterious asshole in black. It was fuckin' hilarious watching everyone try to work around him. Unless it was my work he was getting in the way of, anyway. There was a couple of times I was ready to just kill him and be done with it.

"But I don't think Richard would have been as pleased to have him dead once he realized it was Marn causing him all his grief," I sigh sadly. "Richard chalked it up to the brotherhood because he stopped after their mother was shot. Honestly, I'd like to see Marn get back out there again - just so I can see that vein on Richard's temple bulge when he thinks the brotherhood has popped back up."

View user profile

212Backslide and New Associates - Page 9 Empty Re: Backslide and New Associates on Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:51 pm

"Are you fucking kidding me..?" I scoff, amusement not exactly the forefront of my reaction as I gawk at Lavellan.

"Do books not cut it around here? Does the telly suck? Why does everyone want go out and be some sort of monikered psychopath?"

213Backslide and New Associates - Page 9 Empty Re: Backslide and New Associates on Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:01 pm

"It's the altitude," I respond with a nod as I smirk into my tea. "Oxygen deprivation.

"Though, to be fair," I say more seriously as I put my tea on the counter so I can poke around in the refrigerator. "Marnin hung up his psychopath moniker, and look what it did to him. He's a drug addict who can't cope with a world that sees him as weak and incapable - which has, ironically, made him weak.

"He might have had a death wish back then," I shrug as I stuff a pudding treat in my mouth. "But at least his death wouldn't have been from his own miserable hand. He'd have died smiling. Now he'll just die - alone and covered in his own puke."

View user profile

214Backslide and New Associates - Page 9 Empty Re: Backslide and New Associates on Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:04 pm

Sighing, I frown as I set the jar of moppy aside and rest my arms in my lap. 

"He seems pretty okay with me staying here for awhile." I say, "And once he's sobered up, I'm going to talk to him about trashing whatever's left in the house. Just try and keep Richard away for awhile? The longer, the better... He was perking up earlier this week until Richard came through, so I'd like to see how he does longer term."

215Backslide and New Associates - Page 9 Empty Re: Backslide and New Associates on Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:19 pm

"Mmm," I nod around a mouthful of food as I eat another one of the pudding treats before closing the door and returning to my drink. It's the first thing I've had to eat all day, and I can't express how satisfying it is to wash down with a long drink of the sweet tea.

"I have a new job that should keep him distracted for awhile," I say after I've swallowed. "I'll see that he stays away, or that he sends me in his stead at the very least. And Marnin keeps a box in the shed as well - don't forget to get that one, if you can. Last time I checked, there was some pretty serious stuff tucked away in there.

"Try leaving a note?" I offer hesitantly as I frown at her. "Don't just take it... we've tried just taking everything, and it only ever makes it worse. Maybe if you left a note... something to remind him he's got a choice and people give a shit... anyway," I shrug, not wanting to linger on such a sappy subject. "I trust you'll work things out."

View user profile

216Backslide and New Associates - Page 9 Empty Re: Backslide and New Associates on Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:23 pm

"I'm not touching any of it," I correct him, vaguely running my hand over the kettle to see how warm it is before sitting back tiredly. 

"I'll try to get him to understand the reason in tossing it all, but it's ultimately his choice. Taking it from him or holding his hand too much won't help anyone." I frown, "He's already expressed he doesn't want to die. Maybe if I convince him cleaning up will keep Richard off his back, he'll be more willing."

217Backslide and New Associates - Page 9 Empty Re: Backslide and New Associates on Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:42 pm

"I'll leave you to your methods," I respond, unwilling to invest any further thought on it outside of how I can keep Richard preoccupied. "Honestly, I'd rather be smuggling mana gems into the city than dealing with this," I groan as I drag a tired hand down my face.

View user profile

218Backslide and New Associates - Page 9 Empty Re: Backslide and New Associates on Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:42 pm

"Sorry to bore you," I say with a soft laugh, gesturing past him towards the cupboard. 

"Grab me a cup, would ya?" I ask, getting read to make my tea as I scoot back on the counter to make room. 

"You wanted to talk limits, right?" I add as he grabs the cup and heads my way, "So talk."

219Backslide and New Associates - Page 9 Empty Re: Backslide and New Associates on Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:44 pm

"Oh, you mean you're ready to be a Deadman now?" I ask teasingly as I pull down one of the teacups from the cupboard. "I thought we were all monikered psychopaths with poor reception on our tellies."

View user profile

220Backslide and New Associates - Page 9 Empty Re: Backslide and New Associates on Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:49 pm

"When in Rome," I laugh quietly, pulling the kettle from the stove just as it starts to whistle as I wait for Lavellan to bring me the cup.

221Backslide and New Associates - Page 9 Empty Re: Backslide and New Associates on Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:55 pm

"It was the wank that convinced you, wasn't it?" I taunt as I step in close to hand her the cup and whisper as though Marnin might hear me. Shooting her a wink, I step back to grab my tea and lean against the counter more comfortably.

"Really, it's up to you," I shrug as I dig around in my pocket for my cigarettes. "If it's all the same to you, I'd quite like to see how creative you can be - whether it's getting something out of the city or... removing an obstacle."

View user profile

222Backslide and New Associates - Page 9 Empty Re: Backslide and New Associates on Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:58 pm

"I won't kill anyone." I say firmly, "Not for pay, not as a job. There's something cruelly impersonal about sending out hits, and I won't be apart of it.

"Beyond that..?" I shrug, uncapping my moppy and pouring a decent amount into my cup before taking a swig of the sharply acrid liquid and setting it aside. "What can I say... I hadn't been fucked in three years."

223Backslide and New Associates - Page 9 Empty Re: Backslide and New Associates on Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:06 pm

"Cruelly impersonal," I chuckle at that, tucking the phrasing away with a nod. So there are circumstances where she might be more pliable - good to know. "Well, I'll leave you room to reconsider as you grow to know how we work more intimately. I think after tagging along on a few jobs, you might come to appreciate that a little impersonal hit might actually be the kindest thing we're more inclined to do.

"But I'll be happy to test the limits of your cruelty," I smile over my cup. "And give you a top up if you're thinking of suffering for three more years of abstinence... if the circumstances are right, that is."

View user profile

224Backslide and New Associates - Page 9 Empty Re: Backslide and New Associates on Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:26 pm

"I don't think it was a willing sacrifice." I smirk, topping off my cup with water before returning the kettle to the stove and tucking the cup back behind me so I don't risk knocking it off the counter.

"A failing marriage and dying just aren't very conducive to that sort of thing," I start, glancing up at the ceiling absently, "But I feel like he's more than eager to help, as well. He seemed thoroughly disappointed I wouldn't kiss a man who couldn't remember it."

225Backslide and New Associates - Page 9 Empty Re: Backslide and New Associates on Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:35 pm

"That's precious," I laugh as I glance toward the ceiling as though I could see him up there. "I bet he's brilliant - very eager to impress, being blind and all. Probably pretty handsy, too. He's too sweet, though. I couldn't do it."

View user profile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 9 of 17]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13 ... 17  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum