When Worlds Fall

Sordid Nation 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Everyone needs a fucking chill pill.

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10 ... 14  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 14]

126 Re: Everyone needs a fucking chill pill. on Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:53 pm

The chaos that breaks out as the receptionist calls back with a code is nothing new. I barely even look up as the nurses rush to grab a gurney, my lips moving lazily as I read through another patient's chart. I can't help the frustrated exhale as my lips purse together at the list of symptoms. Another chronic issue that should have been treated months ago. But no, this "unusual lump" is now my problem, now that three months have gone by and for some reason the lump has burst open and suddenly hurts too much to ignore.

"Sir, the critical in the parking lot says he's one of yours," one of the nurses calls from the door. "Possible head trauma, difficulty breathing... looks pretty beat up."

"Oh?" I raise an eyebrow at that before glancing back at one of the other doctors, a small smile coming to my lips as I offer her the chart for room six. "Looks like this one is yours. You mind?"

"Cancerous growth?" she grins, taking the chart and looking it over eagerly. "Who doesn't love those?"

"That's the spirit," I smirk before turning my attention back to Maria, giving her a nod as I follow her out. "Alright, where are we at?"

"They're just getting him on the gurney," Maria responds as she leads the way outside, the wind catching us both as the doors open to the chaos of onlookers and nurses in the parking lot. "He has a friend with him, she's a little shaken up."

"Name?" I ask before we can get too close.

"Something foreign," Maria makes a face, shaking her head. "Loo-ba Petrovic? She's the witch with the mask."

I frown when I notice the man they're lifting onto the gurney, his casual clothes and the company of the woman leaving me at a bit of a loss. This isn't how I usually see Mister Mercer. Still, I force a smile as I come up to the woman Maria had pointed out, my hand reaching out to touch her arm so I can pull her attention from the scrambling nurses.

"Miss Petrovic?" I ask, extending a hand to her. "I'm Doctor Vaernet," I say before stepping back to pat one of the nurses on the back, coaxing him out of the way so I can take a closer look at the unconscious man now strapped securely to the gurney.

"Can you tell me what happened?" I ask back to Ljuba as I put on my stethoscope to listen to his labored breathing. It doesn't take more than a few muffled breaths before I'm gesturing at the nurses to get him back into the treatment area and onto oxygen. "Get vein access and a chest tap set up," I call after them as I hang back so the shaken woman can answer my question.

View user profile

127 Re: Everyone needs a fucking chill pill. on Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:04 pm

"He collapsed," I say gruffly, trying earnestly to keep up with the gurney despite the mess of people. "Said he had a fight, bar fight. I don't know, he lies sometimes." I add with a frown, slowing as I turn to look at the doctor for the first time.

"He said you were his doctor, so you are? You know him, right?"

View user profile http://sordidnations.forumotion.com

128 Re: Everyone needs a fucking chill pill. on Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:19 pm

"Yes, you could say that," I respond with a frown as I watch the nurses carting the man back to the treatment area. "It's been awhile since I've seen him, though."

I stop before I can say anything I'm not supposed to, my gaze coming back to look her over uncomfortably.

"Do you know how long it's been since the fight?" I ask, hoping to get a better history than Marnin might offer once he's regained consciousness. "How many people were involved? Weapons they might have used? I assume he used his fists - I'll take a look at those."

View user profile

129 Re: Everyone needs a fucking chill pill. on Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:22 pm

"He just said bar fight." I frown, crossing my arms anxiously as I watch Marn disappear in the haze of nurses. "Some time last night, I think. I was with him yesterday afternoon and he was fine."

130 Re: Everyone needs a fucking chill pill. on Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:28 pm

"Of course," I sigh in frustration. "How about medications? Has he been on anything that you know of?"

View user profile

131 Re: Everyone needs a fucking chill pill. on Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:34 pm

"Yes," I respond tensely, frowning slightly as I look at the doctor seriously. "Just... yes."

132 Re: Everyone needs a fucking chill pill. on Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:37 pm

I can't even bring myself to say anything as I pinch the bridge of my nose and let out a long-suffering sigh before nodding at her. "Thank you," I say heavily. "Make yourself comfortable. I'll have someone come fetch you once he's stabilized. If you can think of anything else, let reception know... if possible, try to come up with a list of what you know he's taken."

View user profile

133 Re: Everyone needs a fucking chill pill. on Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:43 pm

"Make a list of what you've given him," I say abruptly, my anxiety twisting into annoyance as I realize I'm about to be dropped in a waiting room.

"He made a crack about not wanting to come to the doctor because he's just going to hoard whatever you prescribe so he can take them later. So chances are, if you've given it to him, he's probably been taking it. He was unconscious for more than a day just earlier this week." I say, "He's got a basket of pills bigger than shoebox."

134 Re: Everyone needs a fucking chill pill. on Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:54 pm

"Right," I scowl as I start back toward the treatment area before pausing to point back at her. "Make a list." I say again. "I haven't seen him in nearly a decade - lord knows what he's got into in that time. I'll keep you posted on his condition."

View user profile

135 Re: Everyone needs a fucking chill pill. on Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:56 am

My nerves are on fire as I watch the nurses work around me, John's orders having long gone into effect. I don't recognize the man on the table, which makes watching as the nurses poke and prod at him easier. 

"Doctor Vaernet, you're in the way," One of the nurses chimes as politely as she can muster, trying to reach past me for a pair of shears to cut through the man's clothes as I twist and move as quickly as I can. 

"Ah, sorry, sorry," I frown, reaching back to grab them and hand them over before another nurse looks up at me from the bedside. 

"Doctor, there's no response to light," She says with a bit of concern, gesturing for me to step closer as she reaches back to gently pull his eyelids open, a penlight waving across his eyes.

"It's a head trauma, right?" I ask, grabbing a pair of gloves to pull on before taking the pen light and looking for myself. "What do we know?"

136 Re: Everyone needs a fucking chill pill. on Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:13 am

"You won't get a pupilary response," I say as I stop at the sink to wash my hands. "He's blind, since birth. Injuries are from a fight - unknown number of assailants. History of drug use, friend says he's had a cocktail of different prescriptions, but she's not sure of what exactly. It's safe to assume opiates and other pain meds were involved, though."

View user profile

137 Re: Everyone needs a fucking chill pill. on Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:15 am

I let out a sigh of relief as Uncle John's response hits me, his presence putting me at ease as I palm the pen light and turn to face him. 

"Should I start a tox screen, then?" I offer, though whether it's the right thing to do... I'm unsure.

138 Re: Everyone needs a fucking chill pill. on Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:33 am

"In house," I nod as I jerk a handful of paper towels down to dry my hands before grabbing a pair of gloves. "Police have already been involved, this is just for our record so we can make informed decisions on his treatment. We'll run a full panel as well - see if there's any other concerns we need to worry about.

"While they're doing that, let's take a look at his chest," I say a I nod toward Vivienne and hold out a pair of gloves for her. "The head trauma is concerning, as is the loss of consciousness, but you'll notice his breathing is particularly labored. I suspect he broke some ribs in the fight, and he's either bleeding or leaking air into his chest. Take a listen." I say as I nod toward her stethoscope. "It will sound muffled. We'll need to re-establish proper respirations before we focus on treating anything else."

View user profile

139 Re: Everyone needs a fucking chill pill. on Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:42 am

John guides me through the steps of treating the unconscious man, putting me front and center on most of the process. It's nerve wracking but over quickly enough, and before long we've stabilized his breathing. I'm relieved to go work on the tox screen, work I find to be much simpler in the absence of a patient. 

By the time I've gotten to them, though, they're nearly done, and dear god this man's panel is diverse. With the results in hand, I head back to the room, a bit surprised to find my uncle sitting comfortably in the chair bedside talking to the now-conscious man.

"I've got blood results," I say as I step in, holding the file up as I look between them a bit nervously. I don't do well with patients.

140 Re: Everyone needs a fucking chill pill. on Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:59 am

My lips press together tightly as I look over at my niece, my hands remaining clenched between my knees.

"Do you want to tell me what I'm going to find on that panel before I have a look for myself?" I ask roughly, my tone no where near the level of courteous professionalism it usually is when dealing with patients.

"It's not important," Marnin responds stubbornly, his gaze doing that thing that it does every time he's trying to avoid acknowledging someone's presence.

"Not important?!" I nearly choke on the words as I get up to snatch the paper out of Vivienne's startled hand. "Hell," I scoff as I flip through it, looking at my niece in near disbelief at the list that's been printed off. It's more like a fucking file. "How are you not dead? Honestly? Some of this stuff isn't even proper medicine! It's witchcraft! You can't have been self-treating for - what is this? Seizures? Are you having seizures now?"

"No, I'm not having seizures," he scowls.

"Well, you could be with all this shit," I snap, waving the paper at him before I nod toward his injuries. "And your face. I thought you'd stopped with all the fighting!"

"I did!" Marnin practically shouts. "I mean, I have - and I'm not on any of that stuff anymore! I've cleaned up... look, can we just not talk about this here?"

"Oh no," I scoff, shaking my head at him before pointing toward Vivienne. "She did most of your treatment today. I think you owe her an explanation, and an apology. She's my fucking niece, Marnin, and a bloody student. She just put her whole career on the line treating you because I couldn't just tell everyone in the whole damned hospital that you aren't here and none of this is happening!"

View user profile

141 Re: Everyone needs a fucking chill pill. on Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:02 am

I look between them in confusion, the name on the file certainly not the one I hear my uncle using as I turn to the man in the bed. 

"What?" I frown, "John, what's going on?"

142 Re: Everyone needs a fucking chill pill. on Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:10 am

"Don't," Marnin warns harshly, shaking his head at me with a pronounced wince. "And you can't tell Ljuba either. John, I mean it... it stays between us!"

"He's a fugitive, Viv," I scowl at Marnin before offering her an apologetic frown. "A fucking self-made vigilante-detective; he runs around, nearly getting himself killed, to fuck with the criminal element in the city."

"I told you," Marnin groans. "I don't do that anymore!"

View user profile

143 Re: Everyone needs a fucking chill pill. on Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:14 am

"Right," I nod sharply, looking at the man on the bed as I frown. "And Ljuba, that's the woman who brought you in..?"

I look back to ensure the door is shut before glancing back at John, "We could all lose our jobs for this, John."

144 Re: Everyone needs a fucking chill pill. on Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:18 am

"I'll handle it," I frown as I put a hand on her shoulder. "Just... if anyone asks, his name is Matthew. You don't know anything else."

"I tried to make her wait until after hours," Marnin sighs, the expression on his face one of absolute misery and guilt. Good. "I'm sorry."

View user profile

145 Re: Everyone needs a fucking chill pill. on Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:22 am

"You're sorry!?" I yelp, wincing slightly as I look at him. "Two doctors, countless nurses, not to mention the other staff that's seen you or dealt with your lab work - ALL of it fraud! But you're sorry.

"You know, you're lucky you're alive with everything that's in your system." I say harshly, "Perhaps instead of throwing it away and taking us all with you, you be a bit more considerate. Now, if you'll excuse me," I add quickly, unwilling to be interrupted as I turn back to the door, "I'm going to tell that woman you're alive and you're fine."

146 Re: Everyone needs a fucking chill pill. on Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:35 am

"You didn't have to tell her," Marnin snaps the moment she's left, his anger only earning another scoff from me.

"She has a right to know," I respond as I take a seat by his bed again. "She busted her ass to help you tonight. And she's a good doctor. Bit nervous and squirrely, but she would continue to check in on you, see how you're doing, because it was her work that kept you on this side of the bridge. She should know and have the choice to decide if she wants to continue as one of your doctors."

"Like you?" he asks, raising an eyebrow at me. "You made that choice, and you continued treating me."

"What can I say," I shrug. "I found what you're doing interesting. Found." I reiterate. "That was a long time ago. Frankly, I'm not entirely sure why you came back to me - how you even found me - I left my old practice ages ago."

"I never knew when I'd need your help again," he shrugs, still avoiding my gaze as he fidgets with the oxygen tubing hooked over his ear. "And I don't exactly know a lot of doctors who would be willing to help the way you do... so I kept track of you."

"Hm," I respond a bit callously. "And here I thought it was to make sure one of your friends didn't try to knife me again."

View user profile

147 Re: Everyone needs a fucking chill pill. on Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:42 am

**L**

The second doctor leads me back to Marnin's room after explaining his state, though she seems a bit brusque as she pushes the door open and gestures for me to step in. 

"He looks worse than he is," She says once I've stepped in, nearly stopping in front of her as I see Marn sitting awkwardly in his hospital bed. "It's all been explained to him by Doctor Vaernet here, I'm sure."

"Right," I nod softly, my lip twisted sharply into a frown as I walk to the edge of the bed. "How're you feeling, Marn?"

148 Re: Everyone needs a fucking chill pill. on Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:56 am

"Fine," he responds quickly, the panic is evident in his eyes as he sits up, trying not to make his head tilt too obviously toward me. Afraid I'll tell her. Clearing my throat a bit, I smile as Ljuba glances back at me.

"As I was just telling him, Marnin here was suffering a mild concussion," I say lightly, Marnin's shoulders remain tense as I speak, refusing to relax until he's certain I intend to keep my silence. "Fortunately, it wasn't more serious. Probably just clocked his head on the wall during the fight. We've given him some diuretics to reduce the swelling, bandaged up his other injuries, and put him on some good IV pain meds. He'll feel right as rain in a day or two."

View user profile

149 Re: Everyone needs a fucking chill pill. on Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:59 am

"So he'll be staying here, then?" I ask hesitantly, reaching down to squeeze Marnin's leg before moving around the bed to get a better look at him.

"No," The female doctor responds, exchanging an almost apologetic look with Doctor Vaernet. "He'll be ready to go home in a few hours, if not sooner. Do you need help arranging a ride?"

150 Re: Everyone needs a fucking chill pill. on Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:10 am

"I'll take care of that," I respond with a faint frown as I glance back at Vivienne before offering a small smile to Ljuba. "I'll get you two settled in at home. No sense in staying here when I can just check in on him at home."

"Hospitals make me anxious," Marnin murmurs as he squeezes Ljuba's hand.

View user profile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 14]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10 ... 14  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum