When Worlds Fall

Sordid Nation 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Everyone needs a fucking chill pill.

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Go down  Message [Page 10 of 14]

226Everyone needs a fucking chill pill. - Page 10 Empty Re: Everyone needs a fucking chill pill. on Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:29 am

It's another few days before I'm feeling more like myself. Ljuba and John come and go before I'm finally given a clean bill of health, and I can be left alone - though Ljuba is still reluctant to leave after finding out about the incident that had happened in her absence. When she finally does leave, though, I'm beside myself with relief. I hadn't realized how much I valued my solitude until I had no choice in the matter.

It feels good to put on my own clothes after having a proper wash, and it feels even better to go out on my own without the fretting presence of either John or Ljuba hovering at my elbow. I've been sitting on Vienne's address for a couple of days now, the effort it had taken me to get it without John's knowledge leaving me anxious to get out and put it to good use. I can't help feeling a little guilty about going behind his back to find it, but somehow I don't think he would approve of me pestering his niece after she'd explicitly stated that she wanted nothing to do with my care.

But this isn't about my care. Not really, anyway.

It takes me awhile to find her residence, a new cane guiding me through the bustling city, and a fog of confusion still lingering in my head as I try to make heads or tails of the sounds I'm being bombarded with. It doesn't help that we appear to have docked over a major land city, the sounds from the foreign land filtering in behind the amplified chaos of Skycrest. I always hate it when we're docked. People become infinitely more insufferable when we're tethered to some alluring new land. Even with the tinted lenses of my glasses, unfamiliar tourists seem insistent on bumping into me or approaching me with obscure questions that I don't care to answer.

I'm relieved to finally find her door, my hand tracing over yet another set of numbers outside the apartment to find the right ones. Sighing, I feel around for the doorbell before settling back on my heels as I listen to her moving around inside the apartment.

View user profile

227Everyone needs a fucking chill pill. - Page 10 Empty Re: Everyone needs a fucking chill pill. on Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:50 am

Groaning uncomfortably, I stretch from my spot on the couch, twisting back to figure out what noise I'd heard when the sound of books falling off of my chest and onto the floor finish the job of waking me up. 

"Gimme a minute," I grouse, stifling a yawn as I gather up the books and drop them on the couch in my stead as I wander towards the door. 

I'm stunned, to say the least, when I find Marnin standing on my threshold. 

"No," I frown, moving to shut the door.

View user profile http://sordidnations.forumotion.com

228Everyone needs a fucking chill pill. - Page 10 Empty Re: Everyone needs a fucking chill pill. on Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:58 am

"Hold on," I frown as I slip my cane between the door and the latch before she can shut it. "Come on, do you have any idea how hard it was to find this place? Just hear me out, please?"

View user profile

229Everyone needs a fucking chill pill. - Page 10 Empty Re: Everyone needs a fucking chill pill. on Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:03 am

My jaw tenses as I pull the door back open, looking him over suspiciously. 

"Why are you here?" I ask bluntly, "John's at home, I will give you his address."

230Everyone needs a fucking chill pill. - Page 10 Empty Re: Everyone needs a fucking chill pill. on Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:12 am

"I know where John lives," I reply dryly, barely able to contain my eye roll. "I've known where he's lived, and moved, for years. It's not John I want to talk to, it's you.

"I owe you an apology," I sigh as I withdraw my cane from her door. "Or, rather, several apologies. For my rudeness, and for involving you in something you had no business being involved in."

View user profile

231Everyone needs a fucking chill pill. - Page 10 Empty Re: Everyone needs a fucking chill pill. on Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:33 am

"Oh," I frown slightly, resting against the door as I watch him skeptically. "Well, thank you. I appreciate it."

232Everyone needs a fucking chill pill. - Page 10 Empty Re: Everyone needs a fucking chill pill. on Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:35 am

"May I come in..?" I ask hesitantly as I nod toward her door. "I'd prefer not to have this conversation standing out here."

View user profile

233Everyone needs a fucking chill pill. - Page 10 Empty Re: Everyone needs a fucking chill pill. on Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:37 am

"Oh, there's more to the conversation..." I sigh, shrugging absently as I step back and pull the door open. "By all means."

234Everyone needs a fucking chill pill. - Page 10 Empty Re: Everyone needs a fucking chill pill. on Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:57 am

"That's the idea," I respond as I slip in past her, my cane tucked close to me as I do my best to orient myself without using it. When she closes the door, I clear my throat lightly and hold a hand out in hopes that she'll offer me her arm. "Would you mind? I don't want to knock anything over."

View user profile

235Everyone needs a fucking chill pill. - Page 10 Empty Re: Everyone needs a fucking chill pill. on Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:01 am

"But you fight crime," I say skeptically, taking his elbow gently as I pull him along side me.

236Everyone needs a fucking chill pill. - Page 10 Empty Re: Everyone needs a fucking chill pill. on Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:17 am

"I've also been told I have a concussion," I respond with more sass than I'd intended. "Sorry... But no, really. I'm still really hazy, I could barely concentrate on my way here. There are so many people on this side of town."

View user profile

237Everyone needs a fucking chill pill. - Page 10 Empty Re: Everyone needs a fucking chill pill. on Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:25 am

"I'm not surprised you're a bit more disoriented than a normal bloke," I frown, taking him towards the sitting area.

"Step down," I say as we approach the rather steep step, my hand leaving his arm once he's found the couch.

238Everyone needs a fucking chill pill. - Page 10 Empty Re: Everyone needs a fucking chill pill. on Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:39 am

"Yeah, I've always had issues when stuff like this happens," I admit with a frown as I find the arm of the couch before sitting down and folding my cane up. "I was hit by a car when I was a kid. My mother was beside herself, thought I'd never be right again. Really, I just had a hard time getting my bearings because of the swelling in my inner ear. Threw the whole world off kilter. And I had panic attacks because my hearing would come and go... she thought I was having episodes."

View user profile

239Everyone needs a fucking chill pill. - Page 10 Empty Re: Everyone needs a fucking chill pill. on Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:09 pm

"Episodes can be panic attacks, so she wasn't too far off." I remark absently, clearing my throat as I remind myself to adjust my tone. 

"That sounds awful, though. I'm sorry." I add, stepping around the bar into the kitchen so I can fix something to drink. "Tea?"

240Everyone needs a fucking chill pill. - Page 10 Empty Re: Everyone needs a fucking chill pill. on Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:24 pm

"Sure," I respond absently as I pick up a book from the couch, my hands feeling over it curiously.

View user profile

241Everyone needs a fucking chill pill. - Page 10 Empty Re: Everyone needs a fucking chill pill. on Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:27 pm

I turn to grab an existing kettle from the stove top just beyond the sink, filling it under the tap as I glance back towards him. 

"How do you take it?"

242Everyone needs a fucking chill pill. - Page 10 Empty Re: Everyone needs a fucking chill pill. on Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:39 pm

"Plain is fine," I respond as I run my fingers down the spine of the book to make out the title.

View user profile

243Everyone needs a fucking chill pill. - Page 10 Empty Re: Everyone needs a fucking chill pill. on Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:42 pm

"Alright," I say softly to myself, dropping the kettle onto the burner before walking around the island to cut on the heat and tug some premade teabags from the drawer nearby. 

"Water's boiling, so... We got a few minutes before that's ready." I say somewhat awkwardly, crossing my arms as I watch him fondle my book.

244Everyone needs a fucking chill pill. - Page 10 Empty Re: Everyone needs a fucking chill pill. on Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:48 pm

"Right, okay," I frown as I put the book off to the side - I couldn't make anything out. "This is awkward," I laugh as I reach up to scratch my head, my touch hesitant on my still tender skull. "I had worked out everything I wanted to say, but now that I'm here... I can't seem to remember what it was."

View user profile

245Everyone needs a fucking chill pill. - Page 10 Empty Re: Everyone needs a fucking chill pill. on Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:53 pm

"That happens," I say a bit more sympathetically, the corner of my lip tugging into a frown as I watch him. 

"I don't need a big speech, though." I offer, "I was rude, too, even if I felt you did deserve it, I should've behaved better. If you've come through to make sure I'm not going to tell anyone, I won't. I wouldn't even know who to tell, to be entirely honest." I add with a slight laugh, "Your secret's safe with me."

246Everyone needs a fucking chill pill. - Page 10 Empty Re: Everyone needs a fucking chill pill. on Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:04 pm

"I wasn't so worried about that," I frown, realizing how selfish this visit might look. "John did a fair job reassuring me that you wouldn't tell anyone. I just really felt that I owed you an apology... I'm usually so careful, both about keeping the odds in my favor and about not getting anyone dragged into my drama.

"And I'm not usually so down on myself," I admit with an uncomfortable laugh. "I don't know, sometimes I just get these spells... I'm not really sure who to talk to about it. My actual doctor whispers everything I tell him into my brother's ear, so... nevermind, I'm sorry, this really isn't your problem."

View user profile

247Everyone needs a fucking chill pill. - Page 10 Empty Re: Everyone needs a fucking chill pill. on Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:19 pm

My eyebrows pinch slightly as he rambles, nothing he's saying doing much to put me at ease with his being in my apartment. The more I think about it, the more his being here puts me out all over again. 

"So report your doctor to the board." I say bluntly, inhaling softly as I adjust my tone, "You're promised our privacy, and if you don't want things repeated, they shouldn't be. Not even to your brother."

248Everyone needs a fucking chill pill. - Page 10 Empty Re: Everyone needs a fucking chill pill. on Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:37 pm

"I have reported him," I laugh bitterly. "And I've changed doctors three times." I shake my head quickly, unwilling to linger on the subject as I feel my blood pressure already threatening to rise. "Look, that's not why I'm here. Richard doesn't know about Matthew, so it's not an issue we need to discuss.

"I just want a chance to make things right with you," I frown. "What can I do to make that happen?"

View user profile

249Everyone needs a fucking chill pill. - Page 10 Empty Re: Everyone needs a fucking chill pill. on Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:55 pm

"Ha," I laugh slightly as I turn back to the kitchen to grab down two mugs, "We're good. I've dealt with worse people than you in training. I come home, I unwind, and let it go.

"We'll have a cup of tea, pleasantries, the weather, whatever-" I continue, setting his mug down on the bar as I drop the tea bag beside it. Turning back to check the kettle, I frown sharply when I noticed the clock tucked against the counter just across the kitchen, sighing as I gather a lemon to cut.

"Then you'll be on your way, and everyone sleeps sound tonight." I add, "Care to come sit at the bar?"

250Everyone needs a fucking chill pill. - Page 10 Empty Re: Everyone needs a fucking chill pill. on Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:05 pm

"Yeah, sure," I respond as I use the arm of the couch to get up. My steps are much more measured than they usually are as I make my way over to the bar, my hand bumping into the stool before I find my seat.

"Can I be honest?" I ask with a frown as I set my cane on the bar and make myself more comfortable.

View user profile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 10 of 14]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum