When Worlds Fall

Sordid Nation 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Everyone needs a fucking chill pill.

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 34 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 65 of 69]

321 Re: Everyone needs a fucking chill pill. on Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:26 pm

"No, I mean... That's great," I shrug, fetching some spoons before busying myself pulling the boiled bags from the water and cutting them open. "Fixing people is why I wanted to be a doctor... But that's not the sort of stuff we get too often. Lots of colds, hangovers, overdoses... 

"To be honest, a lot of what we deal with is either brought on from old age - and in that case we can't do much other than make them comfortable and wait for them to die - or it's self-inflicted. Drug abuse, reckless behavior, suicide attempts. And in those cases, we can fix it, but there's no victory in it because nine times out of them, we're seeing the same patient with the same fucking broken arm three months later because they just don't give a shit."

I inhale sharply as I finish rambling, glancing up towards Marnin a bit apologetically. "Sorry, that really wasn't directed at your situation..."

View user profile http://sordidnations.forumotion.com

322 Re: Everyone needs a fucking chill pill. on Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:42 pm

"I sort of forgot about my situation for a moment, so it's alright," I shrug, a tiny frown tugging at the corner of my lips as I stare off blindly in her direction. "I can understand how that might be frustrating, though. I've sold many wonderful things only to have clients bring them back to me week in and week out claiming that it broke due to inferior craftsmanship when I know they were reckless with it because they handed a delicate piece of work to a fucking three year old while standing right there in front of me.

"But no, I am careless and reckless with my health and my safety," I admit reluctantly as I fidget with my teacup absently, my thumbs tracing along the rim. "Sometimes I forget I'm not invincible. Back when I used to do this sort of thing more often, I could go weeks without ever taking a hit because I was faster and sharper than the people I fought. But it's been so long... I hit the bag damn near every day, but my reflexes have gotten rusty. I've gotten sensitive to the adrenaline again, too. It used to fuel me, but this last time, it just made me shaky and angry and afraid."

View user profile

323 Re: Everyone needs a fucking chill pill. on Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:45 pm

"Sounds like you need a new hobby," I offer softly, dropping the emptied bags into the trash before grabbing his bowl and bringing it to him.

324 Re: Everyone needs a fucking chill pill. on Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:51 pm

"I'll never find a new hobby," I sigh as I rest my cheek against my knuckles, my elbow propped on the edge of the table. "I swore I would pull Richard's network apart before I was even of legal age. But for every pawn I knock over, three more sprout in their place. And in the ten years that I stopped, he's cemented his grip over this city beyond anything I ever thought he could accomplish.

"No," I sigh. "I'll be chipping away at the dragon's back until the day I die, or the day he rolls over in his sleep and crushes me."

View user profile

325 Re: Everyone needs a fucking chill pill. on Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:04 pm

"You're going to get yourself killed," I say plainly, taking my seat as I drop my fork into my own bowl to stir some of the heat out of it.

"But that's your prerogative." I shrug, taking a small bite of my dinner, making a slight face at the taste of it. Might not buy this particular kind again.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 65 of 69]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 34 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum