When Worlds Fall

Sordid Nation 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Breaking the Surface

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

16 Re: Breaking the Surface on Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:39 am

The soft murmur of voices does little to distract me as I work steadily, my hands following a familiar path as they work to mix the drop. It's comfortable, the hum that tickles in my chest as I combine the various ingredients on the table, and it's downright satisfying as I watch the crystalline ball begin to form under my hands. 

The little baubles I've been making pale in comparison. 

Once it's finished, I pick it up gently and rise from my seat, holding it on my extended fingers for Lavellan to see before I glance at Harvey expectantly.

View user profile http://sordidnations.forumotion.com

17 Re: Breaking the Surface on Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:46 am

I give her a pleased smile before nodding as I drag a nail down Harvey's temple once more, his whole face spasming as I step away.

"He's all yours, darling," I chime as I step back to stand beside Ljuba so I can watch, my hand starting toward the small of her back but withdrawing before it can touch her.

View user profile

18 Re: Breaking the Surface on Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:50 am

Sighing anxiously, I look back at Harvey before extending a leg out to kick my collar and mask further out of the way. With a hand extended between the two of us, I look down at the bound man with a scowl before mumbling the slurred incantation that sends the drop into the air above my hand before it hovers gently before him. 

It's body glows as cracks begin to form, and the bound man's expression glazes over as he focuses on the drop almost instinctively, a sense a pride filling me as the familiar situation plays out.

19 Re: Breaking the Surface on Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:06 am

I know better than to look directly at the drop, my gaze fixating instead on Harvey as his expression twists, his eyes fixed on the depths of the crystal orb. I'm pleased with Ljuba's success, the urge to step forward and touch her tugging at me when I notice the first glow of something going wrong. I frown as I catch sight of the purplish ember falling from the core of the orb, it's center a hot, abnormal green.

It happens in a split second, my arm shooting out to wrap around Ljuba's chest and neck as I jerk her back into me. The moment my own magic flares with instinctive precision, Ljuba's dream drop lets out a loud crack, the geode collapsing in on itself before exploding outward in a violent burst of blues, purples, and greens. Every shard that hits the shield of magic around us sizzles into black wisps of nothingness, the smell of blood suddenly thick in the room as Harvey is macerated in front of our very eyes.

I'm in shock for a moment as I stare at gout of blood gushing out of the man's lacerated neck, his head and face barely recognizable as he sputters and gags on the rope still tied around his mouth. Ljuba's body is limp against mine, her expression one of utter shock as well before I suddenly break out in hysterical laughter.

"Oh gods, that was gorgeous!" I laugh as I release her so I can step forward to get a better look at the damage Harvey had sustained. I'm almost a tiny bit disappointed to see the liveliness faltering in his terrified eyes.

View user profile

20 Re: Breaking the Surface on Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:24 am

My legs nearly give once Lavellan's arms leave from around me, my eyes still wide as I stare at what little remnants of my drop are still visible in the man before me. I can't help the unnatural sound that shakes my chest as I shake my head, stepping back from the blood pooling at our feet as I begin to tremble. 

I'm frantic as I snatch up my vox and it's mask from the floor, trying to wipe what blood and filth I can from it as I head for the edge of the room.

21 Re: Breaking the Surface on Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:36 am

It isn't until after Harvey has passed, his blood slowing to a sluggish trickle, that I look up at Ljuba. Her anxious crying gives me pause, my grin tugging down into an uncomfortable frown as I notice the way her chest heaves with each sniffle.

"Hey," I try to sound as comforting as I can as I approach her apprehensively. "Come now, it's alright... don't cry."

View user profile

22 Re: Breaking the Surface on Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:45 pm

My fingers shake as I manage to get the collar back on, my mask forgotten in my lap as I look up at Lavellan. It isn't until the uncomfortable look on his face registers that I realize how grotesquely I tend to look when I cry, the back of my hand wiping at the tears and drool on the broken side of my face before I move to put my mask on. 

"I'm fucking useless," I cry angrily, "I made a bomb! That!" I gesture towards Harvey's limp body before shaking my head. "That wasn't supposed to happen..."

23 Re: Breaking the Surface on Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:13 pm

I let out a relieved laugh as I shake my head and glance back at Harvey. I realize immediately that laughing, perhaps, is not the response Ljuba is looking for. Instead, I pinch my face into one of concern and shake my head more intently as I approach her.

"Ljuba," I frown as I pull a handkerchief from my pocket to clean the blood from her cheeks. "It was your first attempt in a long while, without the benefit of your voice. Despite that, you still managed to create something. Regardless of what I've said about magic being in your blood, there are very very few witches who can harness their magic for anything at all without the use of their words.

"Today was not a waste," I say gently as I press a kiss to her forehead before pulling her into a hug. "I'm very pleased with the potential you've shown here today. We'll continue to work at this, perhaps without a live guinea pig at first, and in the meantime, we'll get your collar fixed. But before long, we'll have you trained to not need it."

View user profile

24 Re: Breaking the Surface on Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:42 pm

I reach up to wipe at my tears, resting my forehead against Lavellan's shoulder as I compose myself. 

"I've never had one explode before," I say softly, the foreignness of the vox's voice only leaving me more annoyed as I snake my arms back around Lavellan. "I'm not even sure why it happened."

25 Re: Breaking the Surface on Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:01 pm

"Who can say?" I respond gently as I hold onto her, my hand rubbing at her back softly as dark streaks snake their way up my arms, the poison neutralizing in my blood. I always seem to wind up poisoning myself when she's around...

"You shouldn't beat yourself up over it, though," I insist. "If you never have something blow up in your face, then you aren't challenging yourself the way you should. I've singed my beard more than I care to admit, but it always pays off in the end."

View user profile

26 Re: Breaking the Surface on Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:09 pm

"Is that why why it's so pointy?" I ask as I lift my head, cocking an eyebrow at him as I inhale and step away from him. 

"You look like a cartoon pirate," I chide, laughing lamely as I run my hand through my hair and look around the room.

27 Re: Breaking the Surface on Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:18 pm

"Shut up," I warn with a laugh as I grab her ass roughly before turning back to glance at Harvey. "Still," I shrug with an appreciative nod. "It's quite impressive, what you managed to do here. Not as elegant as I'd have done, but for an accident... are you sure you don't want to make this part of your skill set?"

View user profile

28 Re: Breaking the Surface on Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:21 pm

"I'm not going to lose any sleep over this prick," I frown as I sniffle a but unceremoniously, "But no, this isn't something I want to do. Not... Not on purpose."

29 Re: Breaking the Surface on Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:24 pm

"Mm, fair enough," I shrug, smiling to myself as I step forward to put my arms around her, my chin resting on her shoulder as I admire the massacre she'd created in the room. "How's our friend doing, anyway? Recovering well, I hope."

View user profile

30 Re: Breaking the Surface on Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:27 pm

"He keeps asking me where I'm going." I frown as my shoulders sink under the weight of his chin, "He's going to be heart broken when he finds out I've scraped up this collar."

31 Re: Breaking the Surface on Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:39 pm

"Nonsense," I frown, my touch growing more bold as I press a kiss to the skin at the edge of her collar. "I'm sure he'll enjoy having a project to work on. And you're alright, aren't you? That's what counts, or so I'm told. People over things, all that."

View user profile

32 Re: Breaking the Surface on Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:59 pm

Lavellan's wandering touch no longer elicits the burn of shame, instead only a content sigh of familiarity as I close my eyes to his touch. 

"I'm not so sure," I say weakly, "He's got a burr up his ass about you, you know."

33 Re: Breaking the Surface on Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:02 pm

"I know," I practically sing with joy at that as I grin and nuzzle at her ear. "He's had it out for me for years, but he's never been able to pin anything on me. Drives him absolutely mad. Knows I'm trouble the same way a mouse knows not to trust the snake, but he can't put his finger on what it is that makes me bad news."

View user profile

34 Re: Breaking the Surface on Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:10 pm

"You're in with Richard, what more does he need?" I ask as I twist to look back at him, eager to have the scene of Harvey's death at my back as I manage to turn around and face Lavellan. 

"I suggested asking you if I could work in your shop," I add offhandedly, "To get off the street and have a slightly more steady income... He was not as enthusiastic as I was."

35 Re: Breaking the Surface on Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:20 pm

"No, I can't imagine so," I smile as I drag my lips along her jawline. "He likes to poke around in my shops. Not terribly often he's treated graciously when he does. There's a rumor circulating around all of my people about all the different reasons I hate the man. I don't, really, but it keeps my people from talking to him lest they invoke my wrath, and no one needs to know that he's got it in for us. Protects everyone involved."

View user profile

36 Re: Breaking the Surface on Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:29 pm

"Well, I've got to come up with some reason I keep wandering off whenever you call," I ask as my eyes close to his proximity, "For some reason, he seems a little skeptical that you and I would just be friends."

37 Re: Breaking the Surface on Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:31 pm

"Does he now?" I smirk as my hand wanders lower. "Well, I suppose I could use another body in one of the shops."

View user profile

38 Re: Breaking the Surface on Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:37 pm

There's that little flicker of anxiety, pooling in my stomach as his fingers trail down my side. I swear, he's practically conditioned my body's response as I feel the tease of excitement warm between my legs. 

"I'm not fucking you in the same room as Harvey," I whisper as I sway to his touch, my hands trailing down his arms before I grab his wrists and pick my head up to look at him, "That's a hard limit."

39 Re: Breaking the Surface on Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:51 pm

"Mmm," I pout, my shoulders sagging for a moment before I sigh. "Alright, alright," I concede as I step away from her to pull something from my pocket. "Step back another foot or so," I say back to her as I go over to the body, my hands working to activate the blackish crystal in my hand.

"We'll get cleaned up here and stop by the shop, see if Constance needs an extra set of hands," I say as I set the crystal on the floor in front of Harvey. The moment his blood touches it, dark tendrils begin snaking out of its core, their focus stretching out toward me before I walk back out of reach to stand beside Ljuba. The second I'm out of reach, they turn their attention to the corpse in the center of the room, every drop of blood and flesh that they touch disappearing as the crystal becomes darker and darker.

"Sound good?" I ask as I glance back at Ljuba.

View user profile

40 Re: Breaking the Surface on Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:53 pm

I'm nearly dazed as I watch his crystal work in the center of the room, Lavellan's grip of dark magic something that, no doubt, only strengthens my curiosity about the man. I frown as my attention is pulled from the spectacle by Lavellan's continued gaze, my own turning to him as I nod. 

"Yeah, that's good..." I nod absently, glancing back at the stone as my head cocks slightly. "Ever used that on a living person..?"

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum