When Worlds Fall

Sordid Nation 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Failings of Time

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 7]

101 Re: The Failings of Time on Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:20 am

"Not at all," I respond dryly, my lip curling up in a slight smile. "How old do you think I am?"

View user profile

102 Re: The Failings of Time on Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:25 am

"That's a trap, isn't it?" I smirk as I roll onto my side to look at him.

"Looks alone? I'd say you've got about twenty years on me, but something tells me the obvious answer is the wrong one."

View user profile http://sordidnations.forumotion.com

103 Re: The Failings of Time on Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:41 am

"It usually is," I smile before stretching my arms out over my head with a contented groan. "Anyone asks? I'm fifty-seven. But if you pick up one of the history books lying around here, flip through a few pages, eventually you'll find a picture of Sister Magdela...

"Do that," I say lightly as I glance at her. "Then ask yourself... could I really be that old? Or have I been lying to you this entire time? I'll be curious to know your answer."

View user profile

104 Re: The Failings of Time on Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:47 am

My expression pinches as I look at him skeptically, my gaze wandering past him only vaguely before I shake my head.

"You give me a headache." I chide as I push off the bed and get up, stretching lamely before heading towards the bathroom. "I'm going to take a bath, I think. Soak in some near boiling water in the hopes it'll just melt my nerves and they'll finally relax. History books, like they stock history books in inns... Ass."

105 Re: The Failings of Time on Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:00 am

"Just keep your eye peeled," I call after her, smirking slightly at my teasing. "History of the Chantry. The publish a new one every ten years. It's nearly as common as the book of sermons around here... bunch of self-important bastards," I grumble under my breath as I start picking at the dirt under my nails.

If I were wise, I might cut them to help cement my appearance as a Guardian. But as I lie here stretching my hands out and watching as dark blue flames lick their way up my fingers, I can't bring myself to do it. I'll have to keep my gloves on one way or another anyway.

View user profile

106 Re: The Failings of Time on Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:33 pm

My bath lingers on for what feels like hours before the water's long gone cold and the aches have returned. Crawling out of the water and wrapping myself in a towel, I wander back into the bedroom to find Lavellan sound asleep in his bed, the covers pulled up over him in the cool room. 

It's a comforting sensation, being alone yet having him near as I get dressed and crawl back into my bed to settle in for the night. 

**More asterisks cuz I can**

It's not insanely late, but late enough, when I shove the box off onto the side table. I can't sleep, and I've given myself a headache trying to find connections with the items. I'm seeing nothing. Frustrated, I wonder if it has to do with my knowing the person I'm connecting with. It makes sense, the connections are still lingering from real contact, perhaps it's simply pulling from a delayed vision. 

Pushing myself out of bed, I ruffle through my own belongings in search of Marnin's bee. I've convinced myself it's because it's another item I can practice on, that perhaps my time spent with Marnin could help me sort this out, but in all honesty, I think it's simply because I want to see him again. To have some glimmer of contact with him. 

It's not something I have to dwell on, though, as I realize the bee isn't here. It's not on the coat, or the pants, or the bag. It's nowhere. A hint of panic starts in my chest as I scramble to pull on my shoes and my coat, pulling the hood up over my head as I head for the door. Lavellan wouldn't approve of this at all, and that's precisely why I'm not waking him up to ask. 

Slipping out, I pull the coat around myself and head for the van.

**Im soooo tired WHAPOW!**

The air is cold and sharp as I step out of the tavern. It's much quieter than it was earlier, but the tables are still filled with a few stragglers nursing their ales and talking heavily in languages I don't understand. The food even smells amazing here on the sidewalk, and I have to wonder if the food Lavellan ordered ever showed up. I don't recall seeing anything in the hall. 

Taking a turn down the alley, I keep my head down as I make my way to the van, but something catches my attention just as I hit the door. Just out of the corner of my eye, I swear I see something as I turn to look behind me. I was positive I'd heard footsteps, laughing, something, but there's no one there. 

Chalking it up to paranoia, I unlock the van and tug the side door open before I start my hunt for the bee. Peering over seats and bending to look at the floorboards, I almost don't hear the sound of shoe's scuffing against cobblestones but there's no mistaking it this time. Heart racing, I can feel my throat grow tight as I try to find the bee more quickly, the keys clenched in my hand. 

Giving up on the bee, panic winning out over the need to find it, I hit the lock and shut the truck doors to hurry back into the Inn, but it's a plan quickly abandoned as I turn to walk away. 

Two lithe looking men are nearly on top of me, eliciting a small yelp from me as I look up at them with wide eyes. 

"Ah, sorry!" I apologize quickly, holding my hands up with the keys innocently before I go to walk past them. 

I couldn't make out what is barked by one of the men, but the other quickly steps in front of me as he shakes his head and asks me a question. Fuck. I have no idea what Lavellan has or hasn't put into my story here, what I should or shouldn't know. instead of trying to guess, I only shake my head up at him before looking back at the other man. 

"I don't understand," I frown, shrugging vaguely. 

"Funny accent you got," The first man remarks, though he looks anything but amused as he steps closer. I back away instinctively only to find myself against the van. "Whatsit you do?"

The chilling silence is cut short by the second man's gruff words as he responds to his friend, and whatever he'd said must've amused him because the first man's chest shakes with a silent laughter. By now, the only thing I can hear aside from the two men in front of me is my own pounding heart, and my hands shake as I look down at the ground anxiously. 

I'm startled as one of their hands tangles in my hair to jerk my head back upright, and before he can finish the sneering words he's begun, I say the familiar spell. 

"поразот." I hiss, and I can feel the rising heat of magic and the shaking of the van behind me, but neither man seem fazed. My stomach plummets as the man holding my hair laughs in my face, slamming me back against the van painfully. 

"You just use magic on us, cunt!?" He hisses at me, his lips curled into a sick grin as his hand extends towards his friend. I can hear someone crying, whimpering frantically, and it isn't until I feel the cold press of a blade against my throat that I realize it's me. 

"You really think your little grade school spells work here?" He continues, his grip in my hair tightening harshly as he hovers over me.

My eyes close against him, the world around us melting away as the familiar heat of flames licking against me seems to soothe my aching nerves. When I open my eyes again, the man before me is staring at me intently, angrily, though his hands tremble with unsteadiness. 

"Take us back," He hisses lowly, my own expression twisting at his misunderstanding of my gift. 

"What?" I rasp through my panic, my hands finding his front as I shove at him uncomfortably, "Get off."

"Take us back!" He barks, his voice wavering as the world around us crackles and burns around us. I don't know where the strength comes from, but in that moment I hone in on his weakness and reach up to grab his hand around the blade, digging my fingers in between his to try and pry it away as I repeat the repulsion spell. 

This time, it worms it's way in and he's thrown away from me. I cry out as the knife in our hands slices into my throat before it's freed from his grip, my own world snapping back to normal as he hits the building and sinks to the ground, his eyes wide and horrified at the hell I'd left him in. 

With my adrenaline rushing, and the knife in my hand, I hurry forward to bury the blade in the man's chest, no second thought as I stab him repeatedly in my rage. I can barely see through the tears and anger, and before I know it the other man's knee catches my side and sends me to the ground. Yelping sharply, I don't have time to get even to my knees before he's kicked me back down, the familiar pains bringing forth glimpses of days prior. Marnin's bloodied face, his frantic fighting as the men surround is, and my inability do anything when he's finally gotten to me. 

The man settles over me, straddling my stomach as he reaches back to retrieve the fall knife before wrestling one of my wrists into his hand, pointing at me threateningly before he brings the knife up as though to start the process of removing my hand. 

Despite the sensation of screaming, nothing comes out of me as I struggle beneath him, my other hand gripping at his shoulder as I try to push him off, the sense of overwhelming deja vu leaving me wondering if I'm in a nightmare when his grip on my hand looses and I open my eyes to see his face twisted into a silent scream, his body crumbling to dust in the wind.

107 Re: The Failings of Time on Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:44 pm

I'm startled awake by the sound of the door snapping on its hinges, the wood smacking against the wall as Ljuba stumbles in looking disheveled and pale under her coat. Any lingering tiredness disappears as I sit up with a groggy scowl to look around the room in confusion.

"What are you doing??" I ask sharply. "Where were you?"

View user profile

108 Re: The Failings of Time on Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:45 pm

"I need your help," I say weakly, staying near the door as I look anywhere but him as I open my coat a bit to expose my bloodied front.

109 Re: The Failings of Time on Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:56 pm

"Ljuba!" I hiss, my tone coming out exasperated as anger and concern vie for the forefront as I stumble out of bed, scrambling for my clothes. "What did you do?! I told you not to wander off!"

View user profile

110 Re: The Failings of Time on Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:50 pm

"I-" I start, the adrenaline waning as pain starts to settle in and I tremble as I inhale against the pain in my ribs, "They came after me."

111 Re: The Failings of Time on Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:54 pm

"Who?" I ask firmly as I finally come up to her to get a better look at her injuries. For a moment, it just looks like blood and grime, but on closer inspection, my hand hovering near her but not quite touching, I find myself hesitating.

"That's corpse dust," I say, a note of disbelief on my voice as I stare at her with wide eyes. "Hold on, that's corpse dust. Did you-?"

View user profile

112 Re: The Failings of Time on Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:56 pm

"He was going to take my hand," I practically whine, more at the fear of Lavellan's anger than from the actual altercation.

113 Re: The Failings of Time on Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:05 pm

"You turned him to dust?" I press, my gaze searching her face as she seems to shrink from me. I can't help the little smirk that curls on my lips as I nod. "Why do you need my help then? You've dealt with him yourself - in much the same way I would have."

View user profile

114 Re: The Failings of Time on Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:24 pm

I frown sharply as I reach up to adjust my coat, wiping at the blood on my throats and chin before finally meeting Lavellan's gaze.

"I stabbed the other one."

115 Re: The Failings of Time on Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:26 pm

"You... stabbed someone," I say slowly, my previous approval vanishing as I scowl at her. "Where did you leave the body??"

View user profile

116 Re: The Failings of Time on Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:29 pm

"I tried to make him go away, it didn't work!" I burst out, shaking head to toe as I drop my gaze again. "He's shoved up under the van, in the dark. I really tried, Lavellan, but nothing happened and I got scared, so I came to get you..."

117 Re: The Failings of Time on Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:34 pm

"You never should have left me in the first place," I snap as I turn to dig through my bag furiously. Palming an empty crystal, I come back to Ljuba and snatch my coat from beside the door before nodding for her to lead the way.

"Haven't even been here a day," I carry on grumbling more to myself than to scold Ljuba, though I feel certain she can hear my cursing under my breath. "Already killing people. What if we get caught??"

View user profile

118 Re: The Failings of Time on Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:53 pm

I keep my head down, coat drawn high around me as I manuever back through the tavern and out into the street, though never straying far ahead of Lavellan. The cold seems to soak into my bloodied front, and I'm shivering as I lead us around the corner. 

I'm grateful for the dim lighting as we approach the van, the wet of a melted snow at least hiding the blood on the sidewalk for now

"He's there," I say softly, gesturing towards the front of the van, "Under the front."

119 Re: The Failings of Time on Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:02 am

I manage to keep my jaw clamped around the outrage that she'd left the body by our van. Instead, I pull the crystal from my pocket and cut her an annoyed look before glancing around anxiously.

"Keep an eye out for any witnesses," I say quietly as I step forward to place the crystal near the body before stepping back to activate it.

View user profile

120 Re: The Failings of Time on Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:12 am

I stick near the wall of the building, only glancing towards the spectacle of the crystal's magic for a moment before I turn to watch towards the road anxiously. 

"I really did try." I say after a moment, glancing back to see Lavellan retrieving the crystal.

121 Re: The Failings of Time on Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:32 am

"Next time, try harder," I respond coolly as I give her a disapproving scowl. "Let's get back inside and clean you up," I sigh as I nod for her to follow me back inside. Thankfully, at this hour, most of the people still awake are too drunk to notice us, and our passage goes relatively unnoticed inside the tavern.

Once we're back in the room, I toss the crystal back in my bag and grab the tin of salve. Glancing back at Ljuba, I nod for her to take off her coat and have a seat on the edge of the bed.

"What were you doing outside anyway?" I ask as I work a small amount of salve into my hands before stepping over to inspect her injuries.

View user profile

122 Re: The Failings of Time on Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:39 am

With the coat forgotten on the floor, I'm suddenly very aware of my disheveled appearance. Blood and filth down my front, I'm unable to look at him as I avoid answering. 

"I wanted to practice." I say softly, swallowing roughly as Lavellan lifts my chin to look at my throat.

123 Re: The Failings of Time on Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:42 am

"You're going to have to elaborate on that," I say a little more harshly than I'd intended as my hands freeze at her collarbones. "Because I don't think you mean how that sounded, but then I have been known to be a bad influence on people before soo..."

View user profile

124 Re: The Failings of Time on Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:46 am

I wince slightly as I look at him, his proximity and contact both comforting and intimidating all at once. 

"I wanted to practice making those connections," I say, "But I couldn't get anything in the box to spark, so I wanted to use Marnin's bee..." I frown as I try to gauge his response, rambling on, "It probably wouldn't have worked, I know, but I couldn't find it and I just wanted to try."

125 Re: The Failings of Time on Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:52 am

"You're impossible," I sigh heavily, trying my damnedest not to show my waning patience - though my eye continues to twitch against my will. "You know, magic doesn't work nearly as well when you're tired and exhausted. Sleep would be far more beneficial to your practice than staying up and murdering witch hunters and hunting bees."

View user profile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum