When Worlds Fall

Sordid Nation 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Witchy Wonderland

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 5]

51 Re: Witchy Wonderland on Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:11 am

"Another fucking witch?!" Emhyr demands as I look back at Yvla questioningly. My stomach sinks as I notice the look of dread on her face.

"Emhyr," I say with a note of warning as I look between him and the stranger cautiously. "Good evening," I greet the woman with a calm nod.

View user profile

52 Re: Witchy Wonderland on Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:57 am

"Ev'ning," She says sharply, her eyes never leaving Emhyr. "Emhyr..? And-" She pauses, glancing up towards Solas suspiciously. "What was it? Silas..? Solas? Something?"

I cringe as her gaze shifts back to me, my swollen lip catching between my teeth in an effort to hide it as she growls. 

"The fucking hunters!?"

View user profile http://sordidnations.forumotion.com

53 Re: Witchy Wonderland on Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:05 am

"Don't suppose that tone means you're actually excited to see us, does it?" I ask, glancing at Emhyr hopefully. The rolling of his eyes remedies the vain hope as I shrug my shoulders. "Ah, well - second tongues and all... I suppose we should be going now."

View user profile

54 Re: Witchy Wonderland on Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:17 am

"No-" Nell shakes her head angrily as she slams the door and shoves past Emhyr and Solas towards me, my teeth gritting uncomfortably as she takes me by my chin and jerks my head to the side so she can inspect it. I can only remind myself of the small blessing that is the silence coming from the children's room. 

"They're leaving, Nell, it's fine." I sigh, wincing as she lets go of my chin and turns her anger on the two men, the door locking behind them loudly. "Nell, please."

55 Re: Witchy Wonderland on Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:34 am

"Ooh-kay," I sigh as I catch Emhyr's hand out of the corner of my eye as it reaches for the missing sword from his belt. Ignoring the glare he throws at me, I frown at the woman - Nell? - as my posture remains as relaxed as I can manage. "Let's just unlock the door and my friend and I will be on our way. We can all just pretend none of this ever happened."

View user profile

56 Re: Witchy Wonderland on Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:44 am

"Fuck you," Nell hisses as she turns from me, my breath shaking as I look past her at Solas apologetically. It's my turn to feel responsible for the hothead in the room. 

"Nell, they were leav-"

"Fuck they were!" She snaps as she looks at me, her jaw set tightly as she looks back at the two men. I've always been in awe of her ability to hold her own against those larger than her. Even now, with two men nearly twice her size standing before her, I find myself grateful to be behind her and not opposite. "They put their filthy hands on Rae, and you're letting them walk out? They ought not see the sun again, as far as I'm concerned."

"Nell-" I start, her words cutting me off again.

"What, you two come back for her? For the boy, too? Is your little church really scared of children now?" She chides, "Yvvy might be too much of a doormat to stop you, but you won't be able to walk when I'm done wi-"

"Enough!" I practically shriek, the surge of energy in my voice causing the windows to shake as the door snaps open sharply. "We don't hold prisoners, Nell, we're not them." I grind out, looking past her to the hunters. "You want to leave, leave. But do it now."

57 Re: Witchy Wonderland on Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:03 am

My jaw remains clenched as I catch Emhyr moving the opposite direction of the door, his hand finding the smaller blade on his hip. Catching his arm, I jerk him sharply toward the door before shoving him toward it. Offering another bow toward Yvla, I glance toward Nell coldly as my hands fold behind my back.

"Do have a good night," I say evenly, not pulling my gaze from her until I've made it to the threshold and turned to see Emhyr out of earshot as he retrieves his sword from the lawn. "And walk with the Spirit, sisters."

View user profile

58 Re: Witchy Wonderland on Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:35 am

I don't have a chance to nod a goodbye to Solas before Nell has stepped forward, slamming the door shut with an angry scowl. It's going to be a long night.

~~~~~~

The next morning is a welcome sight as I twist against the sun peering through the window above my bed. The sky is still a dusky orange as the sun is still creeping into the horizon, and the birds can just be heard starting their morning symphony as I crawl out of bed. The silence this early is a treat, Evander just only beginning to sleep through the night and past sun up. Rae's long been a simpler morning task, and she won't be up for another hour or so at least. 

It leaves me time to start a quick breakfast pie, busying myself with setting out my tasks for the day as it bakes. Like clockwork, Evander's cries seem to mark the last of the night's dusky presence in the sky, and I settle into my seat in the living room with a book in hand as he rests against my breast. It's a pleasant break, even this early. A reason to sit and relax throughout the day, to read or just be. By the time Evander's finished his own breakfast, the pie is ready to come out of the oven and Rae's beginning to stir in her corner of the house. She never could sleep long after Evander's woken her up the first time. 

After breakfast, there's a lull that falls over our little house in the mornings. It's rubbish for productivity, but every so often we enjoy the laziness. We embrace it. A fire is started in the fireplace to stave off the cool of fall outside, and Rae shows me all of the new little tricks she's learned as Evan busies himself with the simple task of holding his head up on the couch at my side. 

"And then," Rae continues, "I fold this together and-" She trails off, narrowing her eyes as she whispers a clumsy spell and the fabric in her hands dissipates into a stream of smoke, sliding to the ground where it settles and a green bundle of leaves trembles and stretches out from the cloud. A single stalk emerges from the mess of leaves, a smile spreading across my face as a dandelion seems to bloom from the hastily formed bud. Raefiya beams down at the flower before scooping up the plant, bouncing a bit as she shows it to me.

"Very impressive," I grin, "You going to do my whole garden now?"

"No, Mum, this is for classes." She says matter-of-factly as she shoves the dandelion into the linen bag at her side. "Did you know you can make a dandelion tea for bruises?" She asks, reaching for the flower again as she looks up to me. 

"Bruises go away on their own, love, don't waste your flower on my lip." I laugh, Rae's nose wrinkling as she shrugs and digs into her bag for other herbs she'd learned about. My attention is drawn to Evan's babbling as he looks around curiously, my fingers pinching at his cheeks lightly as a knock at the door pulls the smile from my face. 

"Watch your brother," I instruct Rae quickly, rising to my feet as I look towards the door to see only a silhouette outlined in the sunlight streaming through the front windows.

59 Re: Witchy Wonderland on Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:56 am

I can hear movement inside as I wait, the door remaining closed long enough to draw a slight frown from my lips. Adjusting the covered basket on my arm, I knock again and step back to give the woman on the other side of the door some space should she choose to answer it. Though, after last night, I wouldn't blame her if she didn't. I'm a little surprised when she does indeed open it a crack before pulling it open further as recognition dawns on her face.

"Good morning," I say lightly, clearing my throat. "I, uh - sorry to bother you - again - but I brought some things that I thought you might have a use for. Seeing as Etrielle ate quite a few of your flowers, and that whole other... thing."

View user profile

60 Re: Witchy Wonderland on Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:01 am

My brow pinches as I look between Solas and the basket, glancing back towards Rae for only a moment before I step out and pull the door behind me. Turning my attention back up to Solas, I frown slightly as I take in the worn look on his face, my chest deflating as I reach out to take the basket. 

"Have you slept at all?" I ask sadly, my hand holding the cover over the basket as I watch him expectantly.

61 Re: Witchy Wonderland on Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:04 am

"I had a nap," I reply, frowning at the unexpected question. Catching a glimpse of myself in the rippled glass of the window, I drag a hand across my cheek. "Ah. It doesn't really look like it, though, does it? Hangovers are never so kind."

View user profile

62 Re: Witchy Wonderland on Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:08 am

"Hangovers," I nod with a slight grin, chuckling as I look down at the basket. Pulling the cover off, my laugh ceases as I peer down at the mess of gifts in awe. I shuffle through the items, making quick notes of what is there. Smudge sticks and a book, a charm or some sort of jewelry, feathers and stones. The basket is full of items catered to a witch's craft, and I can't help the sinking feeling in my gut as I look up at him curiously.

"Where'd you get all this..?"

63 Re: Witchy Wonderland on Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:14 am

"My garden, mostly," I shrug as I glance around uncomfortably at how exposed we are on the porch. "The stones from a cavern in Skellige..." I trail off as the curtains shift by the door, Raefiya's face appearing in the window as she tries to sneak a peek at what's going on. Unwilling to tell her that the other items were crafted by my own hand, I welcome the distraction and smile slightly as I wave at the small girl.

View user profile

64 Re: Witchy Wonderland on Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:17 am

Twisting, I see Rae grinning broadly in the window, her shrill laugh piercing through even the glass as she ducks away at my gaze. 

"Do you want to come in?" I ask, adjusting the basket on my arm as I move to open the door, "I left Evan on the couch, and she's clearly distracted."

65 Re: Witchy Wonderland on Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:19 am

"I-," her offer catches me off guard before I nod and smile. "Sure. If I'm not imposing."

View user profile

66 Re: Witchy Wonderland on Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:26 am

"I think we're past imposition." I remark lightly, heading back into the house just in time to see Rae scurrying back into the living room. 

"Go get all your dirty clothes ready for tomorrow," I tell Raefiya as she tries to settle in by the couch, as though she'd never moved. She whines a bit as she turns back to me, her mouth poised to protest as I shake my head. 

"Clothes."

"Fine," She huffs, scooping her school things back into her bag as she shuffles back to her room. With Rae out of my hair, I can drop the basket on the couch as I scoop up Evander, smoothing a hand across his back as I look back at Solas. 

"Can I get you something to drink? Are you hungry?"

67 Re: Witchy Wonderland on Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:34 am

"Now that you mention it," I nod as I take the time to look around her living room curiously. "I'll enjoy whatever happens to be convenient."

View user profile

68 Re: Witchy Wonderland on Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:38 am

"Made a breakfast pie earlier, it's still warm." I nod, shifting Evan into one arm as I make my way into the kitchen to begin fixing him a plate. 

"I do appreciate the basket," I say after a moment, glancing at him as I put a decent serving of the pie onto a plate before turning to see what might be in the icebox to drink. "You didn't have to do it, but I'm grateful."

69 Re: Witchy Wonderland on Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:42 am

"Nonsense," I say absently as I read the various names adorning the spines of the books on one of her shelves. "After all the trouble Emhyr brought you, it's the least I could do. I could have handled him better. Instead, I chose to avoid a fight, and left you and your daughter vulnerable to his bullheaded temper."

View user profile

70 Re: Witchy Wonderland on Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:46 am

"You did a pisspoor job of avoiding a fight, too," I quip, finding a carafe of orange juice and pouring him a glass to set on the island next to his plate. 

"But you're not responsible for what he did," I continue as Solas makes his way back into the kitchen, "I don't blame you for it, I don't blame him, really. It all ended so much better than it could have."

71 Re: Witchy Wonderland on Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:53 am

"Indeed," I agree blandly as I join her at the island and take a seat in front of the plate she's set for me. "For a moment, I was afraid I was going to have to fight your friend, too. Which, of course, would have meant fighting off Emhyr again as well.

"I'd like to boast that it wouldn't have broken a sweat," I laugh as I pick up my fork to poke at the food on my plate. "But Emhyr has a mean left hook, and my head is still throbbing."

View user profile

72 Re: Witchy Wonderland on Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:50 am

"Your left hook is nothing to balk at," I remark, shaking my head as I look at Evander with an entertaining smile. "No, it's not." I grin, Evander's broad smile mirroring mine as he babbles. 

"Would you like some tea?" I ask as I glance back at Solas, "For your head? It's not anything I'd offer your friend, but it could help the throbbing."

73 Re: Witchy Wonderland on Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:55 am

"Thank you, I would appreciate that," I smile as I cut into my pie and take a bite. "So what do you do?" I inquire curiously. "If you don't mind me asking."

View user profile

74 Re: Witchy Wonderland on Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:08 am

"Craft," I shrug, moving slowly as I work to prepare the tea with Evander shifting and wiggling at my side. "I sell my wares, mostly."

75 Re: Witchy Wonderland on Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:13 am

I nod at that, recalling the assortment of books I'd seen on her shelves. "And you're more inclined toward the spiritual aspects of the Craft?" I ask as I scoot back from the table a little bit and wipe my hands on a napkin before offering to take the little one so she can focus on making the tea.

View user profile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum