When Worlds Fall

Sordid Nation 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Witchy Wonderland

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 5]

76 Re: Witchy Wonderland on Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:18 am

I hesitate for a moment before stepping towards the island and handing Evander over to Solas, smiling as Evander's attention moves to the new and unfamiliar man. His eyes wide and confused, he watches the man intently as he reaches for his beard - something new to him. 

"Yeah," I nod, "A lot of what I make is for other's to practice and worship, though."

View user profile http://sordidnations.forumotion.com

77 Re: Witchy Wonderland on Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:31 am

I nod as I smile down at the small child and remove his fingers from my beard as he tries to pull it to his mouth. Pulling an amulet from under my shirt, I offer that to him instead, his small fingers closing around it as he tries to put it in his mouth. "That's not what that's for," I chuckle at him as I pause to twist the small knob on the end, the inside spinning and building a pale golden glow that reflects in the small boy's wide eyes - though it hardly deters him from drooling and squealing as he kicks in my arms with excitement and puts his fist in his mouth with the chain clutched in his tiny fingers.

"I figured that was your niche," I finally respond to Yvla as I glance back at her working at the counter. "You've an interesting assortment of plants growing in your little garden, but only a few of them are good for any of the more - active magics?"

View user profile

78 Re: Witchy Wonderland on Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:36 am

"Those aren't really my forte," I respond, shaking my head a bit. "They seem so unnecessary for the life I've got to live, you know? I don't need them, and I don't need the headache of using them around the little ones."

79 Re: Witchy Wonderland on Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:39 am

"They certainly aren't worth it, are they?" I ask lightly as I work on eating my food without Evander's fingers getting to the fork. "This work has given me a whole new appreciation for just how wrong that sort of magic can go."

View user profile

80 Re: Witchy Wonderland on Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:42 am

"About that-" I start, holding his mug in both hands as the water warms within and the leaves inside swirl and tinge the water as they dance. "Am I off base in saying you've practiced? You're not a stranger to the craft, you understand it with an almost intimate admiration... So why do you work for the Temple?"

81 Re: Witchy Wonderland on Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:56 am

I don't respond at first, my lips thinning into a line as I fidget with the boy in my arms as he grins and babbles up at me. I can feel my brow pinching together as I try to find a way to walk around the question without really committing to an answer.

"I'm not a stranger, no," I finally sigh with some reluctance as I glance at her briefly. "Though, that's not something I usually share outside the safety of my home - for obvious reasons. Despite my familiarity, though, Emhyr nor any of the other hunters have a clue. I'm something of an oddity to them, sure, but they blame it on scholarly interest - I just know things about everything, even if I haven't dabbled in it. If it's likely to bring some harm to me or mine, then it's worth knowing about, you know? They consult with me on everything.

"But -," I exhale slowly as I adjust the boy in my arms and shrug at her. "I do practice. In my own way. As for how I wound up with the Temple, it's... well, it's a very long story. And, if I'm being perfectly honest, I'm still not exactly sure how I wound up bearing the mantle of hunter. It just sort of happened."

View user profile

82 Re: Witchy Wonderland on Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:09 am

Coming to the island, I set his mug near the plate and pull the second stool to the end nearest me so I can take a seat before reaching out to take Evander so Solas can eat in peace. 

"There should be more like you," I say after a moment, shifting into my seat as I settle Evan in my lap so he can sit back against my chest. "Hunters, I mean. It'd be a little easier to know there are more out there who aren't just scooping us up for nothing more than a suspicion..." Frowning, I watch as Evan plays with my fingers before looking back up at him. 

"Your secret is safe with me."

83 Re: Witchy Wonderland on Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:23 am

"Thank you," I smile lightly as I take the cup of tea in my hands, letting it warm my fingers before I take a sip of it. "This isn't something I usually share with others who practice. I'm sure you can appreciate the-," I hesitate as I press my lips together thoughtfully. "Lack of fondness others have for me upon learning of my perceived betrayal.

"And, since I'm being honest," I frown as I glance toward her and Evander. "They aren't always wrong. I don't want to mislead you into thinking I'm more saintly than I am. Had things escalated yesterday, I wouldn't have shed a tear taking your friend in - if only to get Emhyr off my back."

View user profile

84 Re: Witchy Wonderland on Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:33 am

I don't bother trying to hide the pained look I give him at his remark, shaking my head vaguely.

"No, I know... And as much as I'd like to say otherwise, I wouldn't have hesitated in trying to stop you. It's not a simple matter of right and wrong, is it? It's messy and awful." I sigh, "Nell means well, she's just not got any love for your Temple.

"But I don't want to spend the morning dwelling on how poorly things could have gone." I say simply, leaning down to grin at Evan as I pinch and tickle at his thighs, sending him into an intoxicating fit of giggles. "That's no way to spend the day, is it!?

"Will you be staying for a bit?" I ask Solas as I look back at him, still tickling at Evan's legs as he wiggles and grabs at my hands.

85 Re: Witchy Wonderland on Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:49 am

"I don't want to wear out my welcome," I respond as I smile at the giggling infant between a sip of tea, the throbbing in my head already easing a bit. "But if you need an extra pair of hands, I'd be happy to help out. In exchange for the meal and the tea?"

View user profile

86 Re: Witchy Wonderland on Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:09 am

“I had a few things to tend to in the garden today, but nothing major,” I answer, “But really today is just the lazy day around here. Evander’s probably going to go down for a nap soon, and once Rae has her clothes sorted for tomorrow she’ll want to go out front or down the street to play for the day.

“So I don’t have much work for a second set of hands, but don’t let that run you off. I just enjoy the company.” I add with a smile, “Though I won’t turn my nose up to help in the garden if you’re here when I get to it.”

View user profile

87 Re: Witchy Wonderland on Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:27 am

"I suppose I can't turn down some decent company," I concede with a smile as I put my cup down to rub a hand over the knot on the back of my head. "Just as long as I'm home in time to go riding with my daughter this evening, and get a few errands done before sundown.

"What do you need done in the garden?" I ask as I return my attention to my food now that I've finished off the tea.

View user profile

88 Re: Witchy Wonderland on Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:27 pm

"Nothing too awful, just pulling up a few plants so the soil can rest before I plant the winter ones." I shrug, "It's not too intensive, it's just nice having a second set of hands because I swear the boy knows when I'm wrist deep in something."

At that, I scoop him from my lap as I stand, moving around the island and through the broad archway into my bedroom. I hug him to my side as I clumsily fix the blankets with one hand before laying him on his stomach in the center, grabbing a few carved and painted blocks and figures to put in front of him. I grab a few crystals to lay around the edge of the bed before turning back to the kitchen, busying myself with straightening up what mess is left from breakfast. 

"So you have a daughter?"

89 Re: Witchy Wonderland on Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:36 pm

"Mmm," I nod around a mouthful of food, practically shoveling it into my mouth now that my head is not throbbing quite so much. "Elwinel. She'll be ten this summer, though you'd swear she's coming on thirty already. Sometimes I forget that I'm the parent, she's so articulate and quick to correct me. And everyone else.

"If you've ever seen a little duck go after a bear, you've a good idea of my Ellie."

View user profile

90 Re: Witchy Wonderland on Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:33 pm

I laugh at that, working quickly at the sink to wash the dishes. 

"I can imagine that's a sight," I chuckle, "The two of you together."

91 Re: Witchy Wonderland on Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:38 pm

"I don't know what I would do without her," I say, my smile faltering slightly as my thoughts wander back to less pleasant memories of precisely what I would, in fact, do without her.

View user profile

92 Re: Witchy Wonderland on Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:41 pm

I try not to acknowledge the shift in his demeanor, leaving him his privacy as I dry off the last of the plates and set them off on the rack to finish drying.

"Well, I promise I won't keep you from any plans you have with her." I say as I turn to smile towards him, "I'm sure come lunch you'll have had your fill of my two, anyway."

93 Re: Witchy Wonderland on Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:43 pm

"Nah," my smile lightens a bit as I shift the food around on my plate to get at the last few bites. "I like kids. They're more honest than adults - easier to please."

View user profile

94 Re: Witchy Wonderland on Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:50 pm

"Children are," I agree, glancing past him towards Evander's head bobbing unsteadily as he reaches for the blocks on the bed, "Infants, though, they're a mystery for a good while."

Dropping the dishtowel on the counter, I pour my own glass of juice before returning to my seat at the island. 

"So, how'd your friend? Emhyr, was it? He any worse for wear than you are?"

95 Re: Witchy Wonderland on Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:55 pm

"Don't know," I admit with a shrug as I finish off the last of my food before getting up to go wash my plate. "We had another good row after we left, and then he slammed a door in my face. He'll ignore me for a few days, then show up at the inn annoyed that I haven't helped with whatever job he's on. Most likely because he's realized he's in over his head, and doesn't know how to counter whatever magic is being used - or he can't identify whatever beast he's hunting, or its weaknesses, or surprise! It's a nesting mother and he nearly became hatchling food. You know, something like that."

View user profile

96 Re: Witchy Wonderland on Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:56 pm

"So is this something that happens a lot?" I ask hesitantly, turning to watch him over my shoulder.

97 Re: Witchy Wonderland on Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:15 pm

"Not usually regarding something like this," I say with a frown as I glance back at her before looking around for a dish rag to dry my hands. "He's usually more tactful when it comes to dealing with innocents. But we butt heads every now and then, yes. He's very, ah - action oriented. Whereas I prefer to have all the facts and weaknesses of my quarry before I make a move. He'll fly in, sword swinging, eke by on brute force; but I prefer the ease of trapping or other more calculated tactics.

"And me?" I scoff as I return to my seat to take a sip of my own juice. "Well, I'm prideful and I have no patience for ignorance and stupidity. Nothing infuriates me more than a superstitious, obedient lump of shit that can't be bothered to pick up a book lest the Big Bad Temple gets them. Nevermind that it could save his damned life in the here and now."

View user profile

98 Re: Witchy Wonderland on Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:16 pm

"So why work with him?" I ask simply, an eyebrow cocking slightly at his apparent disdain for the man.

99 Re: Witchy Wonderland on Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:26 pm

"Because I like him," I shrug. "For all his faults, he has a good head on his shoulders. If he'd care less about the Temple and use it more, he could be great - for witches and mundanes alike. Quick as he is to just do a job, he still has a conscience and I know there are jobs that come across our plate that just don't sit right with him.

"He likes to insist I'm the one who refuses to take them, but you can see his relief when I tell him no. So long as he can avoid the wrath of his Temple, he doesn't put up much of a fight. Any other hunter would have run me through the first time I refused to apprehend a witch, or helped a doppler escape with his life. Emhyr knows a witch isn't just a witch and a monster isn't just a monster. They're people."

View user profile

100 Re: Witchy Wonderland on Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:29 pm

"I'll have to take your word for it," I respond with a soft frown, "I can take your word for it, right? He won't be back here in a week?"

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum