When Worlds Fall

Sordid Nation 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Poor Life Decisions

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 17  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 17]

1 Poor Life Decisions on Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:39 am

The chill in the evening air sends a bit of a shiver down my back as I linger outside of the Crow's Perch. The sun's just begun to be lost to the horizon, and I'm beginning to wonder if Solas is planning on taking up residence at whatever beer soaked crevice he's in or if he'll be returning to whatever home he'd been to earlier in the day. 

As soon as I'd seen the fucker's horse outside of Yvla's earlier, I hung back and watched. Watched as she exchanged pleasantries with the hunter before bidding him good bye, watched the too-comfortable way he said farewell to Evander and Raefiya before the door finally shut behind him. A quiet exchange, subdued, but too familiar for my own tastes. He was a hunter, and Yvla had no business letting him back into our home. 

There were several points in the day where I'd worried I'd lost him as I meandered through the city, careful to keep just enough of an eye on him or his horse that he wouldn't be lost to the crowds. I'd almost abandoned the task of confronting him entirely when he headed out of the city towards an area known for farms and secluded residences, my better judgement getting the better of me as I let him go. As curious as I am about him, I know better than to wander too close to a hunter's home. 

The sun was just threatening to dip in the sky when I caught sight of the silver haired man riding back into town from the shop I'd busied myself in. From there, it was a simple trip to the Crow's Perch, where he's been now for nearly an hour with no signs of leaving yet.

Growing tired of waiting, I brush my hands through my hair before turning to push into the door of the bustling bar, a smile creeping across my face as I scan the room for the man I'm looking for.

View user profile http://sordidnations.forumotion.com

2 Re: Poor Life Decisions on Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:59 am

The usual crowd of wily companions that I tend to keep company with has not yet arrived for the evening, a fact that I'm honestly grateful for as I enjoy the relative quiet of a smaller table. With Elwinel busy with her studies, Varna has taken the afternoon away from his shop to join me. His quiet company is a welcome reprieve, the man's presence always able to calm even my most restless and troubled spirits.

"I'm just not sure what to make of this whole situation," I finally sigh as I watch him reshuffle the cards, his lined features thoughtful as he nods quietly. "I may have pushed it this time. Between Emhyr and the witches... I don't know. Am I being foolish, worrying like this?"

"I can't answer that for you, Solas," Varna frowns up at me as he deals out the cards, his gaze flickering over toward the door. I find myself huffing at his lack of helpfulness as I run a hand through my hair and rest my elbow on the table, my other hand looking at the cards he'd dealt me with a gruff frown pulling at the edge of my lips.

"Speaking of witches," Varna clears his throat, his tone drawing my attention quickly as I look up to see him nodding toward the door. "That one's been eyeballing you since she walked in the front door."

"Damn it," I hiss after stealing a glance over my shoulder, my weight shifting forward as I drop my voice. "That's the one I was talking about! Nell or - something."

"Nell, huh?" Varna asks, the lines deepening around his eyes as he smiles at me in a mischievous sort of way. "Well, let's just deal with this right now then, shall we?" he says roughly before waving toward the woman, beckoning her to join us as my eyes grow wide.

"What the hell are you doing?!" I demand as the smug old bastard starts to deal out another hand for our 'guest.'

"I'm finding out if the girl can play gwent, what does it look like?" he scoffs as he splits what's left of the deck into three and places a stack neck to each of our hands.

View user profile

3 Re: Poor Life Decisions on Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:07 am

Pulling my coat off, I make my way across the bar as I take a quick survey of it's occupants. No familiar faces stand out, friendly or otherwise, as I approach the table to drop my coat on the back of the offered chair. 

"Gentlemen," I greet them fondly, "I take it that hand's for me?"

4 Re: Poor Life Decisions on Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:14 am

"If you promise to go easy on an old man," Varna replies with a warm smile as he leans back into his chair and gestures for one of the barmaids to bring another drink. Somehow, I manage not to roll my eyes at his friendliness, the woman's intrusion into this otherwise safe place setting me back on my heels a little more than I care to admit.

"To what do I owe the pleasure?" I finally ask, avoiding the exasperated sigh as I stick instead to aggravating politeness. "I'd be willing to believe this is wild coincidence if I had ever seen your face on this side of town before today, but since I haven't, I can only assume you're here to talk to me specifically?"

View user profile

5 Re: Poor Life Decisions on Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:21 am

I take the seat and offer the older man a gracious smile as I take the cards laid out for me, glancing through them before I play with them absently.

“Well, you’ve been to my home three times now, can you blame a girl for being a bit curious about who’s sniffing around her family?” I reply sweetly, raising an eyebrow towards him.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 17]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 17  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum