When Worlds Fall

Sordid Nation 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Diddlin' Doodles

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 4]

51Diddlin' Doodles - Page 3 Empty Re: Diddlin' Doodles on Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:08 pm

"I have no idea what a sacher torte is, but it sounds lovely, " I smile as I follow her toward the front of the shop. I wait until we're outside to release the purring ball of reddish fluff from my arms, Button taking off before Sylviane can finish locking up. "The food here is - interesting. I love the cakes and breads and other baked things."

View user profile

52Diddlin' Doodles - Page 3 Empty Re: Diddlin' Doodles on Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:17 pm

"Yeah, the city certainly has an interesting menu." I agree with a light laugh, locking up before tucking the keys into the pocket of my coat. I follow his lead to his cart, pulling my hood up as we walk against the wind.

"If you have much in the cart, you may want to return it first, though?" I say as I glance up at him, "The bakery isn't in a bad spot, but if you move any further south in the city than that, it goes to shit pretty quickly."

View user profile http://sordidnations.forumotion.com

53Diddlin' Doodles - Page 3 Empty Re: Diddlin' Doodles on Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:23 pm

"Yes, I discovered that my first week here," I admit with a frown as I stop by the cart to offer her a hand up into the seat. "That's partly why I try to end my rounds in this part of town. All that's left back there now are some empty crates, and a spare pack - just in case someone decides to loot my place while I'm out. Already had two bedrolls stolen, and I've barely been here a month."

View user profile

54Diddlin' Doodles - Page 3 Empty Re: Diddlin' Doodles on Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:49 pm

"Yeah, we've a real unsavory bunch." I remark as I settle into the second seat, his cat bounding over the barrier into the back with a chirp.

55Diddlin' Doodles - Page 3 Empty Re: Diddlin' Doodles on Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:53 pm

"What about you?" I ask after I've moved around to untie the horse, and climbed into the other side of the cart. "Do you live in this part of town?"

View user profile

56Diddlin' Doodles - Page 3 Empty Re: Diddlin' Doodles on Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:56 pm

I laugh slightly before looking at him, shaking my head.

“No, I’m a few blocks south of the bakery.” I answer with a bit of amusement. “No, they barely let me open shop here.”

57Diddlin' Doodles - Page 3 Empty Re: Diddlin' Doodles on Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:07 pm

I don't have a response for that, just a troubled frown that lingers on my lips as I steer the cart to the road, following her instructions as she nods in the direction we need to go. The longer I spend in the city, the more I wonder if I'll find one where I won't wind up a second-class citizen because my ears are a little pointier than most.

"This shop," I say after about a block. "Do they have anything stronger than coffee?"

View user profile

58Diddlin' Doodles - Page 3 Empty Re: Diddlin' Doodles on Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:08 pm

“I don’t believe so,” I answer, still perched in my seat as he brings the cart to a halt. “Why? What have you got in mind?”

59Diddlin' Doodles - Page 3 Empty Re: Diddlin' Doodles on Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:19 pm

"It's just a bit cold," I respond as I pull my hood up, as much to keep out the cold as to hide my ears. "I could use something with a bit more fire in it." I stop for a moment, glancing behind me into the back of the cart. "In fact," I frown as I twist to reach my pack, digging through it for a flask. "Here we go," I smile as I bring it to my lips before offering it to her.

"Quick nip?" I ask, shaking it lightly as I speak in an exaggerated posh accent. "I hear that wild witch stuff will keep a person from freezing, even after they've died," I say solemnly. "It's how they cure their meats or-," I wave a hand vaguely, dropping the accent as I snort in amusement. "I don't know, whatever preposterous cannibal rumors they say are true."

View user profile

60Diddlin' Doodles - Page 3 Empty Re: Diddlin' Doodles on Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:59 pm

I raise a hand to politely refuse the offer, more eager to keep my wits about me than to keep up pretenses regarding a chill.

“Ah, thank you, but no, thank you. I’ve a bottle of wine I’ve been working on for a few days waiting for me at home.” I laugh, instead making my way out of the cart, grabbing his arm to steady myself as I step down.

61Diddlin' Doodles - Page 3 Empty Re: Diddlin' Doodles on Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:06 pm

"Suit yourself," I shrug as I take another swig before tucking the flask in my belt as I climb down off of the cart. I can't help but look up at the shop curiously as I tie the horse up. It's not often I get to visit the shops in this part of the city, and this one certainly doesn't disappoint. It's modest, but clean and the smell of fresh baked goods and the warm coffee beverages of the city fill the air around it.

"Stay out here and guard the cart," I instruct as Button starts to jump down from the cart. His annoyed meow is the only acknowledgment I receive before following Sylviane inside.

View user profile

62Diddlin' Doodles - Page 3 Empty Re: Diddlin' Doodles on Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:24 pm

I hold the door for the man entering behind me, the quiet bakery a welcome treat so early in the week. On Fridays, it's usually a little busier, but tonight it's relatively empty, the only sound aside from the delicate music that of the two employees talking quietly behind the counter. They smile as we enter, and I find myself grateful to have found the little cafe years ago, as the staff and owners had always been kind and welcoming to me.

"Midweek treat, Miss Sylvie?" The freckled girl nearest the register squeaks, and I offer her a soft smile as I nod.

"Yes, Susie, thought we'd have a little pick-me-up." I respond, unbuttoning my coat as I approach the counter.

63Diddlin' Doodles - Page 3 Empty Re: Diddlin' Doodles on Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:34 pm

I can see why Sylviane likes the place the moment I remove my hood, the gold markings across my tanned skin only drawing a curious glance from the pair behind the counter before I'm greeted with a friendly smile. I have to squint a little to read the menu above their heads, the neat cursive scrawled across the black slate in a bright white chalk doing little to aid my failing eyes.

"I'll just have what she's having," I reply simply when the girl named Susie turns her attention to me. I smile at her warmly as I remove my own thick furs, the girl's eyes following the cloak curiously. I'll have to find something less wild looking while I'm here, I think. "Maybe add something sweet to the coffee?"

View user profile

64Diddlin' Doodles - Page 3 Empty Re: Diddlin' Doodles on Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:52 pm

Susie sets to work making our coffees, and I'm tugging off my coat and resting it over my arm as I turn back and gesture towards a small table near the window to Aoifa.

"She'll bring it to us," I remark as I take a seat, setting my bag and coat in the shelf of the windowsill. Settling into my seat, I look across as Aoifa takes his. "So, Aoifa... right? How long have you been in the city?"

65Diddlin' Doodles - Page 3 Empty Re: Diddlin' Doodles on Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:08 pm

"I've been going in and out for about a month and a half now," I respond as I tuck my cloak into the booth and adjust my shirt as I settle in. I've managed to put together a little bit of normal city clothes since I arrived, but there are still some abnormalities about my attire that I try to keep tucked away out of sight. "Just trying to get a good foundation set up before winter hits. I only just found a little flat to stay in while I'm here; though I get the impression the landlord is taking me a little on the price. Still, it's warmer and easier to manage than the alternative."

View user profile

66Diddlin' Doodles - Page 3 Empty Re: Diddlin' Doodles on Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:17 pm

"They're not shy about gouging prices when the cold hits," I nod softly, resting my arms on the table as I get more comfortable.

"They're not shy about gouging prices at all, but any reason to gouge a bit more is welcome." I add, smiling up as Susie comes over with two slices of cake and sets them down before us before excusing herself to get the coffees.

67Diddlin' Doodles - Page 3 Empty Re: Diddlin' Doodles on Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:22 pm

"Indeed," I sigh bitterly as I pick up my fork to begin examining my food. "I got charged a wildling tax. In case I ruin the place with my uncivilized ways." I shake my head as I glance up at her with a frown. "What does that even mean exactly? What do people say we do that would ruin a rental property? Many of the nobles in this city would pay me a small fortune just to spend a weekend in my house, just for the pleasure of looking at the view I get to see every single day. People do pay me to show them the forest that so scares them. I don't understand how the fascination and disgust can exist in the same person's brain at the same time."

View user profile

68Diddlin' Doodles - Page 3 Empty Re: Diddlin' Doodles on Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:28 pm

"The same people line my pockets with coin to wear my jewelry, but fought against letting my shop open in the outskirts of their neighborhoods." I scoff, "I don't think they even understand their hypocrisy."

69Diddlin' Doodles - Page 3 Empty Re: Diddlin' Doodles on Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:34 pm

"You know, the elders of my coven believe that city folk have been stricken with a kind of insanity," I grin as I drop my voice and lean forward a little to speak. "Because of how conflicting their actions are in regards to people different than them. If you loathe someone, you shouldn't covet what they have; you should want it and them destroyed.

"Or at least that's what they say," I shrug as I take a bite of my cake, my eyes shutting as I let out a contented sigh, relishing the rich flavors on my tongue. "Personally? I'm a bit of a pariah because I happen to enjoy things like this." I point my fork at the cake before waving it around vaguely to include the shop and Sylviane's company. "Even if it is all a bit prim and civil."

View user profile

70Diddlin' Doodles - Page 3 Empty Re: Diddlin' Doodles on Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:03 pm

“Well, I’m glad you can enjoy slumming it in the cities,” I chuckle, nodding a thanks to Susie as she delivers our coffees. She dismisses herself as I lift the mug to inhale it fondly, taking a sip before finally turning my attention to my cake.

“I’ve been here about fifty years now, and I don’t know that I have it in me to describe it as civil anymore.” I say as I pierce a bite of cake with my fork, “Though it isn’t nearly as hostile as it used to be.”

71Diddlin' Doodles - Page 3 Empty Re: Diddlin' Doodles on Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:05 pm

"Wait, you've been here fifty years?" I ask, a bite of cake hanging forgotten from my fork as I catch myself staring at her in shock.

View user profile

72Diddlin' Doodles - Page 3 Empty Re: Diddlin' Doodles on Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:09 pm

"Give or take a few," I nod, taking a bite of cake.

73Diddlin' Doodles - Page 3 Empty Re: Diddlin' Doodles on Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:15 pm

"So you don't age," I comment, still staring at her, now taking more care to look at every blemish, every wrinkle, suddenly painfully aware that there aren't any. "That's true, then... about colossus. I'd been told it was true of elves, but it's been so long since I saw any, I can't really recall if I noticed it or not."

View user profile

74Diddlin' Doodles - Page 3 Empty Re: Diddlin' Doodles on Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:27 pm

“Colossus’ aging is more linked with their magic,” I frown slightly, not quite willing to indulge in the other underlying factor to my youth. “Some, who struggle to keep in control, can age rapidly. I’ve heard some can actually reverse the effects of aging, though I’ve never known any who could... not that I’ve known many, at all.

“I grew up in an elven city a couple days south, I never had much interaction with my mother’s side.”

75Diddlin' Doodles - Page 3 Empty Re: Diddlin' Doodles on Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:38 pm

"That's where I was born," I smile at the mention of the familiar city, pointedly trying to ignore the sudden jump in my pulse at the mention of some colossus being able to reverse the effects of aging. Don't be rude, I remind myself despite frantically wanting to push the issue. "Though, ironically, I never had much interaction with my mother's side after that, either. They wouldn't allow her to keep me, and it was only through my father's sheer force of will that they even let her give me to him.

"I still visited her for awhile, though," I shrug as I turn my attention to my coffee, and smile over the rim at her. "Just to see if I'd get caught. Pretty city, really. Not nearly as magical as I'd hoped, though."

View user profile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum