When Worlds Fall

Sordid Nation 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

First Day Jitters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 5]

76First Day Jitters - Page 4 Empty Re: First Day Jitters on Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:04 pm

"I can't say it's a terrible hardship," I wink before settling back into my chair to finish up my food.

"In all seriousness, though," I say after a moment. "I am curious to what it's like."

View user profile

77First Day Jitters - Page 4 Empty Re: First Day Jitters on Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:23 pm

“What what’s like?” I ask, “Being... bitten? Or?”

View user profile http://sordidnations.forumotion.com

78First Day Jitters - Page 4 Empty Re: First Day Jitters on Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:29 pm

"Both?" I offer with a grin.

View user profile

79First Day Jitters - Page 4 Empty Re: First Day Jitters on Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:36 pm

“You’re cute,” I quip, “I have no idea what it’d be like for you. I’ve never experienced it from the other side. The woman who I have an arrangement with now, she doesn’t seem to mind.”

80First Day Jitters - Page 4 Empty Re: First Day Jitters on Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:44 pm

I nod at that, letting it mull around inside my head as I take a sip of water and pinch off another piece of my sandwich. "May I be candid now?" I ask after a moment, glancing at her as I swallow my food.

View user profile

81First Day Jitters - Page 4 Empty Re: First Day Jitters on Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:47 pm

"You weren't before?" I follow up, looking at him in amusement.

82First Day Jitters - Page 4 Empty Re: First Day Jitters on Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:52 pm

"Not really," I smile lightly as I keep my gaze from meeting hers, focusing instead on pinching together a potato wedge over my plate. "I really would be interested in possibly coming up with some kind of arrangement somewhere in the future - once we know and trust one another a little more, perhaps.

"But it's not really about the money or the flirtation," I admit, a faint frown pulling at the edge of my smile. "I want to know if my blood is-," my lips press together as I try to find the right word, my brow pinched as I look at Sylviane uncertainly. "Different?"

View user profile

83First Day Jitters - Page 4 Empty Re: First Day Jitters on Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:56 pm

"Do you believe it is..?" I ask more seriously, frowning as I watch him.

84First Day Jitters - Page 4 Empty Re: First Day Jitters on Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:02 pm

"I don't know," I frown as I turn my arm over to look at my veins as though they might offer up some answer I hadn't thought of. "I mean, it must be. What else could do this to me?"

I let out a breath the moment the words have escaped me. The lines in my face deepen further into a frown as I clamp my hands together to stop their incessant trembling before sitting back in my seat to stare at Sylviane.

"How old do you think I am?" I ask plainly.

View user profile

85First Day Jitters - Page 4 Empty Re: First Day Jitters on Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:07 pm

"Oh, I-" I shrug, looking him over before leaning forward again. "Witches age as humans, right..? So-" I sigh, taking a moment to consider what he's asked. 

"I'm no good at gauging this, I don't really encounter a lot of the more quickly aging races, but if I had to hazard a guess?" I start, "Maybe late forties? Uhm... Fifties?"

86First Day Jitters - Page 4 Empty Re: First Day Jitters on Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:29 pm

"That's what everyone would say," I nod as I continue to watch her with a frown. "I turn twenty-four in two weeks." I let that sink in for a moment before shaking my head as I break eye contact, the swell of anger and bitterness and hopelessness twisting in my gut as I force myself to focus on picking at one of my nails. "My father spent the majority of our time together teaching me how to betray the coven he was raising me to lead. Just in case. He knew that most offspring between an elf and one of the mortal races usually lead to a life that burned out too fast. But he risked it because he thought I might be one of the special ones that just happened to really be immortal.

"But I'm not," I shrug as I wad up the remnants of my food before dropping it roughly into the bag and pulling the second sandwich out. "Instead, I hit puberty and started aging faster. I started getting weak and tired - nearly died before I realized that I was starving to death. Had to start eating nearly twice as much just to keep up with normal life.

"And every year, it's gotten worse and worse. I had to stop traveling with the coven - both to distance myself from them so they wouldn't see me as a weak link, but also because I just couldn't keep up anymore. I tried staying by myself out there in my cabin - broke a lot of rules just to build it; the coven doesn't believe in permanency or altering the wilderness. But now I struggle just to keep up with that.

"I'm dying," I say hollowly, my expression blank as I continue to watch her. "And I'm dying faster and faster every day, and I don't know why. I just know that I don't plan to go out quietly."

View user profile

87First Day Jitters - Page 4 Empty Re: First Day Jitters on Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:50 pm

"Oh," I frown, looking him over solemnly. "You haven't found anything to slow it..?"

88First Day Jitters - Page 4 Empty Re: First Day Jitters on Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:56 pm

"A handful of leads that either haven't panned out or still warrant further investigating," I reply as I start picking at the next sandwich, my appetite all but gone. "But no, nothing terribly promising yet. I picked up a few books on colossus since you mentioned some being able to reverse the signs of aging, but I'm not particularly impressed with the quality of the works so far."

View user profile

89First Day Jitters - Page 4 Empty Re: First Day Jitters on Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:57 pm

"Of what I've heard, they can only affect their own aging, not that of other's." I say offhandedly, "Is that why you asked if I could turn..?"

90First Day Jitters - Page 4 Empty Re: First Day Jitters on Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:07 pm

"A passing fancy," I smile faintly at the question, a little disheartened but not all-together unsurprised that the colossus were not the answer I was looking for. "I couldn't ask you to do that, even if you could. We've only just met, and not knowing how I would react? I could compromise your entire life here on a whimsical hope that might not even work.

"But it certainly gives me some thing to think about," I admit. "Maybe someday, as a last resort, I might try it. That way, if it backfires, I'll simply die faster and not be forced to draw it out."

View user profile

91First Day Jitters - Page 4 Empty Re: First Day Jitters on Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:25 am

I only nod softly, watching him in silence before rising from my chair.

"Would you like something a bit stronger?" I ask, only half expecting an answer as I gesture lamely towards his water before wandering into the kitchen. It takes me a moment to hunt down a second crystal tumbler, it having been ages since I offered anything other than water to a guest. But tonight, it seems like it might suit the tone. 

Tumblers pinched between my fingers, I linger by the small barcart in the kitchen as I try to figure out which he'd most likely be interested in, my fingers deciding on a bottle of scotch that's been sitting in my kitchen longer than the man had been alive - a detail I may keep to myself as I head back into the sitting room. 

"I'm not quite sure what would be appropriate in the situation," I admit, "I feel like I should offer consolation but something tells me nothing I can say would really even approach a sense of understanding..." I frown, setting the glass down in front of him before pouring a few fingers worth of alcohol. I then take the bottle and my own glass with me as I take a seat on the end of the couch nearest him, pouring my own as I glance his way.

"I have heard that witches can work wonders with colossal stones. Do you have any experience with them?"

92First Day Jitters - Page 4 Empty Re: First Day Jitters on Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:25 am

"I've worked with them a little, " I nod as as I take a sip of the scotch and give it an approving look. "But most of the ones I've worked with are from half-breeds or the odd friend who wanders through, nothing all that powerful or focused.

"I had some luck with one particular colossus, " I frown slightly as I continue nursing the drink. "She made this tea with her stones, and I had more strength and energy than I've had in years. I didn't have to eat so much to keep up, I wasn't in pain doing my chores, it was spectacular. But she left, and coming down after that? It was like my body was getting revenge for trying to fight it. Or, I don't know, maybe the tea just got rid of the discomfort and I just pushed it too much because I couldn't feel my limits anymore.

" There's still a lot I have to learn if I want to figure this out, " I sigh, offering her a small smile. "It's certainly something I intend to continue experimenting with, though. I try to keep my costs down in the city as much as I can so that I can afford to buy things like books and stones, things that might have some promise."

View user profile

93First Day Jitters - Page 4 Empty Re: First Day Jitters on Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:59 am

I’ve taken barely a single sip of my own drink before I set the cup on the table beside me, rising to put the bottle by him before wandering off into the bedroom without a word.

It takes only a moment before I’d dug the box in mind out of the back of the closet, the dusty rattle of stones all I need to hear to know it’s the one. Making my way back into the sitting room, I set the box on the end of the coffee table nearest him, gesturing to it as I move to take my seat back on the couch.

“If anyone asks, you didn’t get them from me.” I say simply, watching him as I absently pull the pins from my hair.

94First Day Jitters - Page 4 Empty Re: First Day Jitters on Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:40 pm

"Are you sure?" I ask with wide eyes as I lean forward to take the box so that I might investigate the generous gift. "I'm not exactly a mild-mannered, law-abiding citizen. I wouldn't want anyone wondering where they came from, and asking around about them."

I inhale a audibly as I slide the lid off and inspect the first stone that catches my eye - an opal-like geode with a brilliant pink and blue hue that's unlike any of the stones I've seen. "But then, I suppose I don't have to keep them in the city, " I add absently, admiring the stone before I clench it into my palm. The magic in my own blood as apparent by the sluggish creeping of the blackened marks on my hands struggling to extend beyond my wrist. The veins stand out on my hand and and arm until the stone lets out a cracking sound followed by a brilliant flare that radiates from between my fingers, the blackened skin immediately bursting up my arm.

My expression is a mixture of shock and excitement as I watch the black slither up to the crook of my elbow, further than it's ever gone. Beyond that, my magic of the stone can be seen illuminating my veins as its absorbed, leaving every muscle in my body feeling the energy that went into making the stone.

"You were very angry when you made that one, " I comment as I look at her with some concern. There was an undercurrent of pain that felt familiar, but I say nothing about this as I look back into the box and let the crumbled, colorless remains of the stone fall back in with the rest.

View user profile

95First Day Jitters - Page 4 Empty Re: First Day Jitters on Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:18 pm

The hair pins have been forgotten on the coffee table as I watch him curiously, the seeming ease with which he’s absorbed the stone piquing my interest.

“How can you know that..?” I ask softly, watching as he lets the remnants of my stone settle back into the box. “Sense it, I mean?”

96First Day Jitters - Page 4 Empty Re: First Day Jitters on Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:14 pm

"Well, it's in the magic, isn't it?" I ask, a little perplexed by the question as I try to phrase something that defies simple explanation. "When you use your magic, you feel it, right? It's a catalyst that reacts with your energy, the magic might even be an outlet for those feelings.

"Cause they're both forms of energy, they just sort of... stick together? They're compatible, and they travel along all the same pathways in the body as your emotions. Feeling enraged? Clench your fist, and feel it." I punctuate this by holding my fist out and clenching my teeth. In an instant, a hot, white flame erupts around my fist as my veins pulse with the magic I'd absorbed, a shimmer of it reaching my eyes before I release the unfamiliar rage and let it fade away.

"It just makes sense that they'd wind up imbued into the physical manifestation of your magic," I shrug before I feel my cheeks turn red. "But then, my father and my friends all say I'm full of shit or mental. They can't sense anything."

View user profile

97First Day Jitters - Page 4 Empty Re: First Day Jitters on Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:22 pm

“Usually only other colossus can,” I nod, a newfound interest for my new companion.

“Let me see that box,” I say, leaning forward to take it as he hands it off. I rifle through it, hunting a stone in particular to test his little gift. I find the smaller stone, the flattened and shimmering edge catching the light with a red hue.

“Try this one,” I say, tossing it to him.

98First Day Jitters - Page 4 Empty Re: First Day Jitters on Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:36 pm

At first, I feel a little flustered being put on the spot, but as soon as I catch the stone and turn it over in my hands, I'm sucked into the task - almost compulsively. The glimmering shards inside the stone pull my gaze to them, teasing my imagination with dark suggestions.

Unlike the other stone, this one's energy doesn't feel as hardened or difficult to crack. On the contrary, all it takes is for me to hold it out in my palm, and the red flecks seem to melt and ooze into my hand in an ethereal yet clearly blood-like way. There's a cascade of wispy red energy that falls from between my fingers as it dissolves, the wisps vanishing before they can get too far.

"Well, " I finally force out, my voice a little rough and flustered as the magic in the stone sends a warm flush through my entire body. "That was... not unpleasant..."

View user profile

99First Day Jitters - Page 4 Empty Re: First Day Jitters on Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:47 pm

“Not unpleasant,” I laugh, “Okay, but what else? Anything peculiar or out of place? Anything to set it apart from the one before?”

100First Day Jitters - Page 4 Empty Re: First Day Jitters on Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:32 pm

"Hmm," I frown, my brow furrowing as I try to concentrate on anything out of the ordinary. "I mean, it was certainly a unique tangle of energies, but -," I hesitate, my head cocking to the side after a moment as I sift through the energies. I hadn't quite caught it at first, but the more I focus, the more I realize - it doesn't hurt. But more than that, I don't feel... exhausted.

"I'm not hungry," I finally respond, staring down at the rest of my food with wide eyes before I start flexing my fingers, looking my arms over, dragging my hands across my face and down my neck, feeling every muscle and ache - my physical self rather than the energies of the stone itself. "Or tired. Or sore! I feel... fine. What was that stone?? Why was it different?? You'd had sex - you fed... is that it? You fed?? Is that the answer??"

View user profile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum